Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Sep 2012 (Friday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which one is better for City, HDR and Nature?"
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
56.6%
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX
43.4%

76 voters, 76 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 10 22 Vs Tokina 11 16

HAJIN
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 21, 2012 04:18 |  #1

Hey there, I'm using canon 500d, I generally take the photos of nature and cities and cant decide which one to choose. So what do you recommend me to buy, thanks.

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 21, 2012 08:38 |  #2

10-22, more versatile, better flare resistance (which matters for nature and cities).

I only recommend the tokina over the canon when astrophotography is the main subject. For everything else, the advantages of the tokina are not sufficient to outweigh its weaknesses (slower AF, clumsy MF clutch, short range, poor flare resistance).

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 21, 2012 08:41 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I would say, since the 500d doesn't have great high ISO quality, the 11-16 could come in handy if being shot in lower light.

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 21, 2012 08:44 |  #4

^^^ i used to use the 10-22 on my 400d and it was fine in low light. of course, i didnt really use it for fast moving objects in low light.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 08:48 as a reply to  @ treck_dialect's post |  #5

I really like and have great luck with the Canon 10-22 on a Canon 7D.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 21, 2012 09:00 as a reply to  @ Calicajun's post |  #6

I really like and have great luck with the Tokina 11-16 on a Canon 7D.

Flip a coin

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 22, 2012 06:25 |  #7

Sirrith wrote in post #15023056 (external link)
10-22, more versatile, better flare resistance (which matters for nature and cities).

I only recommend the tokina over the canon when astrophotography is the main subject. For everything else, the advantages of the tokina are not sufficient to outweigh its weaknesses (slower AF, clumsy MF clutch, short range, poor flare resistance).

I own both and agree with everything Sirrith says above.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,962 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2012 07:57 |  #8

I owned the 10-22, sold it and purchased the 11-16. I think the 11-16 is sharper which I decided to live with it even with the few flaws Sirrith made.

11-16

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …G_5658_tonemapp​ed-2-3.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,913 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 22, 2012 09:54 |  #9

I have owned both lenses...for months, I had both in my possession. I found that I do not miss the 10mm FL, and I didn' necessarily miss having 17-22mm on the Tokina, simply because I am not an UWA fanatic and my Canon 17-55mm provided the 'missing' 17-22mm range. OTOH, I have long found that I am a low available light shooter and the f/2.8 is far more satisfactory to me that the variable and slower max aperture of the Canon 10-22mm.

Sirrith points out differences that may mean more to you.
I haven't found as much issue with flare, probably due to the types of shooting I do, and the fast fixed max aperture benefit overrides the flare issue.
The less convenient manual focus clutch isn't that much of a factor to me, because the very deep DOF of the lens reduces the significance of any focus error. The Tokina focus clutch is still a lot more convenient than Tamron's switch. I generally have not found much need for manual focus, especially given the relatively poor precision bright focus screens in today's dSLRs compared to yesterday's manual focus SLRs.

In the end, after simultaneously owning both Canon and Tokina, I sold the Canon. Haven't regretted that decision.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 22, 2012 10:30 |  #10

Neither...

For my money the Tokina 12-24/4 was a better choice. That was wide enough for my purposes and at the time over $300 cheaper than the 10-22, yet seemed better built and almost equal in image quality. I also wanted a non-variable aperture lens if possible, in case I found use for it with manual studio strobes (where a variable aperture can be a pain in the arse).

When I bought, the 11-16 was relatively new, considered it but I knew for certain I didn't need f2.8 in an UWA lens (above sample shot sure isn't at f2.8) and didn't want to pay $100 more for that, while at the same time having to give up so much focal length range. That turned out to be a good call, too, since the 11-16 is more prone to flare than the 12-24 or the 10-22. Maybe the newer version with somewhat improved coatings is better.

I also played around with the Sigma and Tamron but didn't feel they held up to either of the Tokinas and the Canon in image quality. Since then there have been several new Sigmas offered, though, which I haven't had opportunity to try. I don't know if the Tamron has gone through any changes or not.

The Tokinas in Canon mount have had very mild updates done... Supposedly just some changes in the lens coatings (the Nikon mount version got a focusing motor added, a much bigger deal).

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 22, 2012 10:39 |  #11

You'll be happy with either. Both are excellent lenses. I've had both but the Tokina has remained. It's like having 6 primes in one lens. The build quality and resolving power are top-class. And when you hold the Tokina, you just know you've got some serious quality in your hands.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,362 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2012 10:58 as a reply to  @ LightRules's post |  #12

After researching when I was in the market for a UWA, those were the two choices I came up with. Both are supposed to be excellent lenses.

I went with the Canon because it had a slightly wider range... going up to 22mm vs 16mm.

I don't think you can lose with either.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

klimraamkosie
900 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 22, 2012 20:02 |  #13

Realize the reason you're buying a UWA is not for 15-22mm. It's for 10 or 11.

I own the 10-22 for work and I don't need low light ability even though 3.5 isn't that far away from 2.8...

If you need the best focus on the other hand get the Canon hands down. Other than that, as one of the others have said, flip a coin.

Gear
500px (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,962 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2012 23:13 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #15027768 (external link)
I have owned both lenses...for months, I had both in my possession. I found that I do not miss the 10mm FL, and I didn' necessarily miss having 17-22mm on the Tokina, simply because I am not an UWA fanatic and my Canon 17-55mm provided the 'missing' 17-22mm range. OTOH, I have long found that I am a low available light shooter and the f/2.8 is far more satisfactory to me that the variable and slower max aperture of the Canon 10-22mm.

Sirrith points out differences that may mean more to you.
I haven't found as much issue with flare, probably due to the types of shooting I do, and the fast fixed max aperture benefit overrides the flare issue.
The less convenient manual focus clutch isn't that much of a factor to me, because the very deep DOF of the lens reduces the significance of any focus error. The Tokina focus clutch is still a lot more convenient than Tamron's switch. I generally have not found much need for manual focus, especially given the relatively poor precision bright focus screens in today's dSLRs compared to yesterday's manual focus SLRs.

In the end, after simultaneously owning both Canon and Tokina, I sold the Canon. Haven't regretted that decision.

I did not have any flare issues as well and both had about the same amount of CA. Although correctable, I really hate CA.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 23, 2012 05:18 |  #15

My oft-posted flare comparison...

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/UWA%20FlareTest-2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/UWA%20FlareTest-1.jpg

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

12,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 10 22 Vs Tokina 11 16
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.