Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Sep 2012 (Friday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Executive explains why 6D has only one X point

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 21, 2012 10:00 |  #1

I just copy and paste from other forum :lol:

imaging-resource just published the interview with the guy
http://www.imaging-resource.com …veloping-the-6D-and-whats (external link)

Dave Etchells/Imaging Resource: I guess we might as well start out with the 6D. Obviously, that's the big news. There's been some discussion online about the 6D having a smaller number of AF points than previous Canon DSLRs and, in particular, the single cross-type sensor in the middle. Is there a downside to offering more cross-type points or is it a cost issue? Is it a matter of product differentiation among your line?

Mike Owen/Canon: It's a variety of reasons, really. I mean, yes, there is the cost side of things, but what we've tried to do with the autofocus system on the 6D is to actually improve low-light performance. It goes down to EV -3. So when emphasizing low-light performance, we've always had to make elements of the AF system larger, which limits our ability to put in more cross-type points.

DE: So it's a conscious design decision. You really wanted to emphasize low light.

MO: Yes, absolutely. It was a decision that we felt that this type of camera in this particular user group, auto focus performance is not 100% critical. But low-light performance for autofocus is important. And it's just about that trade off.

Discussion
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11507​78 (external link)

http://forums.dpreview​.com …orum=1032&threa​d=42549716 (external link)

Nikon D800

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2012 10:21 |  #2

good luck wanting 1dx AF at $2k price.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

palaima
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2012 10:24 |  #3

^well not 1dx, 7ds would have done the trick :) (Nikon D600 has a high end AF and is cheaper...a bit :P )

http://500px.com/ppala​ima (external link)

raptor3x
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2012 10:26 |  #4

ching wrote in post #15023369 (external link)
I just copy and paste from other forum :lol:

"It was a decision that we felt that this type of camera in this particular user group, auto focus performance is not 100% critical."

Way to cut off the quote to change the meaning.

Mike Owen wrote:
It was a decision that we felt that this type of camera in this particular user group, auto focus performance is not 100% critical. But low-light performance for autofocus is important. And it's just about that trade off.

People are acting like a bunch of whiny spoiled children.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1ii, G9 Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, PL 200 2.8

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2012 10:32 |  #5

palaima wrote in post #15023475 (external link)
^well not 1dx, 7ds would have done the trick :) (Nikon D600 has a high end AF and is cheaper...a bit :P )

if they do the exact 7D, people still **** and moan about "oh it's only 19 points, not 39 like in D600".

no AF system can save user-incompetent.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 21, 2012 10:32 as a reply to  @ HyperYagami's post |  #6

It's actually a pretty good interview.

The full back and forth on the 6d AF system, Canon views it as a trade off between low-light functionality and speed:

Dave Etchells/Imaging Resource: I guess we might as well start out with the 6D. Obviously, that's the big news. There's been some discussion online about the 6D having a smaller number of AF points than previous Canon DSLRs and, in particular, the single cross-type sensor in the middle. Is there a downside to offering more cross-type points or is it a cost issue? Is it a matter of product differentiation among your line?

Mike Owen/Canon: It's a variety of reasons, really. I mean, yes, there is the cost side of things, but what we've tried to do with the autofocus system on the 6D is to actually improve low-light performance. It goes down to EV -3. So when emphasizing low-light performance, we've always had to make elements of the AF system larger, which limits our ability to put in more cross-type points.

DE: So it's a conscious design decision. You really wanted to emphasize low light.

MO: Yes, absolutely. It was a decision that we felt that this type of camera in this particular user group, auto focus performance is not 100% critical. But low-light performance for autofocus is important. And it's just about that trade off.

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

ching
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 21, 2012 10:34 |  #7

Dpreview forum have a better title, but I can't change it now :(

Nikon D800

palaima
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2012 10:43 |  #8

HyperYagami wrote in post #15023507 (external link)
if they do the exact 7D, people still **** and moan about "oh it's only 19 points, not 39 like in D600".

no AF system can save user-incompetent.

People are like that :) But i guess the marketing of 7Ds af would have helped a lot in that case. Either way, the screen is replaceable (i read somewhere) so that makes me happier :)

http://500px.com/ppala​ima (external link)

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 21, 2012 12:34 |  #9

palaima wrote in post #15023549 (external link)
People are like that :) But i guess the marketing of 7Ds af would have helped a lot in that case. Either way, the screen is replaceable (i read somewhere) so that makes me happier :)

Bottom line; if they had done 3 simple things I would sell my 5Dii and 7D.

1. Same AF as 7D

2. new wish feature: Allow in-camera (and in viewfinder) crop so that FF becomes a crop (so, turning it into a 7D). OK, maybe this one's not so simple.

3. Flash. They are sticking to the old mentality before in-camera flash doubles as a Master. Also; ignoring that fill-flash and eyelight are fully valid uses for simi-pro-photog use of pop-ups; particularly when wanting to remain incognito. Not to mention casual family outing that just need a bit of light but bringing a 580 II is just too geeky and unnecessary. My main reason for almost never taking the 5Dii to family outings.

As it stands; I see no reason to do anything. Also; there's still no clear winner for a new serious amateur wanting to upgrade (cheaper 5Dii, 6D, or 7D).

Gear List / Photos (external link)

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 21, 2012 14:05 |  #10

More sensitive AF sensor most likely means it will be able to measure the distance faster for a given amount of light, which could result in better AF performance for fast moving objects. So it is not actually clear what will make AF system more accurate - more cross points, or a single, more sensitive point. I think we have to reserve the judgement until the reviews are out.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2012 12:48 |  #11

pulsar123 wrote in post #15024503 (external link)
More sensitive AF sensor most likely means it will be able to measure the distance faster for a given amount of light, which could result in better AF performance for fast moving objects. So it is not actually clear what will make AF system more accurate - more cross points, or a single, more sensitive point. I think we have to reserve the judgement until the reviews are out.

A single, more sensitive point is great if it happens to overlie where you want to focus. Unfortunately, I rarely want to focus or track subjects right in the middle of the frame.

This would be less of a problem if you had a high-resolution (45MP+) full-frame sensor and a sharp lens, that would allow you to focus using the centre point, then crop so that the point of focus was no longer in the centre of the frame (wouldn't really work for wide-angle lenses though, due to the change in perspective). Also, they could solve the problem of focus-and-recompose by using something along the lines of Hasselblad's TrueFocus technology.

Ultimately, though, the solution will be to improve processor speed so that contrast detection can be used to track fast action, including predictive tracking. It would mean no more AF microadjustment, and you would just put the cursor over where you wanted to focus (anywhere from the centre to the corners) and let the camera track from there.

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 24, 2012 10:23 |  #12

Shadowblade wrote in post #15028296 (external link)
Ultimately, though, the solution will be to improve processor speed so that contrast detection can be used to track fast action, including predictive tracking. It would mean no more AF microadjustment, and you would just put the cursor over where you wanted to focus (anywhere from the centre to the corners) and let the camera track from there.

That would only work with mirrorless cameras (meaning no OVF through the lens), or using the current Sony approach with a fixed semi-transparent mirror.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 24, 2012 10:33 |  #13

pulsar123 wrote in post #15035487 (external link)
That would only work with mirrorless cameras (meaning no OVF through the lens), or using the current Sony approach with a fixed semi-transparent mirror.

Once contrast-detection AF becomes fast enough for predictive tracking in sports photography, optical viewfinders will be an anachronism anyway.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 24, 2012 11:07 |  #14

For someone like me who shoots mostly portraits and landscapes, autofocus speed is not as important as accuracy.

I might get a 6D (if at some point I can afford it), but I'd also be just as happy with the 5D2 refurbished, which is 1800 bucks (or even less through Canon Loyalty).

I also don't care about video.

Thank you. bw!

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2012 11:18 |  #15

"Canon finally honest and openly admit AF crippling"

Not to mention the dishonest/trolling thread title, but one wonders whether some people are begging to be banned from this forum.

Ching, did you actually hold the camera in your hand and test its AF performance?
Because I did and it's at least as good, if not better, than that of the D600.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

sponsored links

16,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Executive explains why 6D has only one X point
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.