Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2012 (Friday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

L glass on a crop

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 21, 2012 11:27 |  #16

gjl711 wrote in post #15023435 (external link)
Your buddy is full of bovine excrement and knows not what he is talking about or is a snob and trying to beat you down so you can't show him up.

^^^this^^^

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links
VCY
143 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 21, 2012 11:35 |  #17

tbsguy18 wrote in post #15023732 (external link)
I like that lol.

I'm going to talk to him some more and see if he's just being a snob or if he actually had a legitimate reason. He's great at what he does, and its earning him a pretty nice living, so like I said before, I tend to value his opinion. Maybe I just missed the point he was trying to make?

So...135 or 70-200?

My take is:

135mm f2 for speed. Great for achieving those higher shutter speeds (good for sports and increasing handhold-ability in low light) as well as achieving great background blur. Reputed for being sharp--even the corners are sharp (lack of corner sharpness problem for some EF lenses but I suppose that's not a concern for you at this time).
http://www.the-digital-picture.com ….0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

70-200mm f4 for versatility. I have one myself (using it on a crop) and I enjoy using it for shooting landscape and amateur portraiture. Albeit, the background blur won't be as great as the 135mm f2 L at 135mm, the 200mm end will help with the throwing out the background if you'd like to do that.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com ….0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

T3i | Σ 12-24 4.5-5.6 II | C 18-55 IS II | C 50 1.8 II | C 70-200 4L | C 85 1.8 | 600EX-RT | 580EX II | 430EX II
Flickr (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 21, 2012 11:40 |  #18

You buy the lens for its capability (low light, sharpness, IS, lack of aberrations) and not based on which camera body it will be used. L lenses excel in all those categories and I use my L lenses on my 7D all the time.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 21, 2012 14:07 |  #19

Sorry but some of Canons most expensive bodies were crops - Pretty sure a 1D MKIV is surely worthy a red ring. Sounding like your friend has been shooting 6 years but is not yet qualified to open his mouth.
All I own are crops and the only Canon glass I use is "L" glass.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 21, 2012 19:03 |  #20

tbsguy18 wrote in post #15023406 (external link)
I decided to add another less to my lineup and was trying to decide between the Canon 135 f/2L or the 70-200 f/4L...
I played with my buddies 135, and rented the 70-200. For me, they were both great and I got the images I wanted.
It wasn't till after I finished my testing that my buddy told me "not to waste my money on L glass...you have a crop sensor. Its not worth it."
He's been shooting for 6+ years, and I tend to value his opinion when it comes to photography. He's always been my go to guy for any questions I've had, but now I'm confused. Ultimately, I'm going to make my own decision, but is there any grain of truth to what he said? Or is it just his preference>
Thanks!

maybe some are not worth it, I do know telephotos like 100-400 and 400 prime are pretty nice

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 21, 2012 22:56 |  #21

tbsguy18 wrote in post #15023406 (external link)
I decided to add another less to my lineup and was trying to decide between the Canon 135 f/2L or the 70-200 f/4L...
I played with my buddies 135, and rented the 70-200. For me, they were both great and I got the images I wanted.
It wasn't till after I finished my testing that my buddy told me "not to waste my money on L glass...you have a crop sensor. Its not worth it."
He's been shooting for 6+ years, and I tend to value his opinion when it comes to photography. He's always been my go to guy for any questions I've had, but now I'm confused. Ultimately, I'm going to make my own decision, but is there any grain of truth to what he said? Or is it just his preference>
Thanks!

Most of what needs to be said has already been said, but I need to say it also or else I will burst... this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,839 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 21, 2012 23:07 |  #22

Tell your unknowledgeable friend that a smaller format REQUIRES MORE LENS PERFORMANCE!

A lens only delivers so much detail resolution...a typical excellent FF lens delivers about 80 line-pairs/millimeter to the focal plane.
So 80*24 = 1920 line-pairs per FF picture height. 80*15 = 1200 line-pairs per APS-C picture height.
If you enlarge FF to 8x12" print, it requires 8.5x magnification or 9.4 line pairs/mm on print from FF; If you enlarge APS-C to 8x12" print, it requires 13.5x magnification or 5.9 line pairs/mm on print from APS-C.

In other words, an APS-C camera really needs a lens which could deliver 80*1.6 or 128 line-pairs/millimeter simply to EQUAL what the FF print delivers!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 21, 2012 23:10 |  #23

This isnt the same guy that says we shouldnt use the words "shoot" or "shooter" anymore is it?

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 21, 2012 23:15 |  #24

gjl711 wrote in post #15023435 (external link)
bovine excrement

LOL

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,509 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2012 23:21 |  #25

Tell you "friend" that you decide to get the 400 F2.8L instead and see how he react....

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

Hardrock40
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 22, 2012 00:17 |  #26

mplezia wrote in post #15023436 (external link)
So get the L if it will do things for you that your current lenses can not. A good lens will last you through multiple body upgrades, so don't shy away from more expensive lenses just because your current camera isn't a pro body.

Whats this mean? pro body? professional body? Is this a common name for a FF body?

I would think the term would be used for the person and not the camera.

But I don't know, not **** about it,,, just trying to learn.

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 22, 2012 02:07 |  #27

What camera body does your friend use & what type of stuff does he shoot? He may have a point if he's refferring to not getting the best from an L lens (such as nice bokeh), but this is subject dependant. I use a 7D with a telephoto L lens for wildlife / birds & the quality is excellent. I also have a 70-200L ISII & found, that although it gives great results on the crop sensor (portraits), it is better suited for a full frame sensor to really see it's quality. Regardless of sensor size though, better glass will mean better quality IMO.

stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 22, 2012 02:20 |  #28

indoors I use me 70-20 f4 on my 5dII outdoors I use on my crop....L glass is expensive....and I love it....very sharp....

find new friends.... I shoot with die hard pro nikon user and they would never pull bs like that they tell me buy the best you can get...quality counts....

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

Red ­ Dot
627 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 22, 2012 02:41 |  #29

L glass isn't only about sharpness. they have superior build quality too. regardless of your sensor, this is always worth it.

I tried to write my signature, but my pen ran out and I put a big scratch on my monitor

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 22, 2012 08:00 |  #30

i used quite a bit of L glass on crop bodies (40D and 7D), the only I didn't like was my 85L. i didn't find out how good that lens was until i got a FF body, the others were great.

sponsored links

7,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
L glass on a crop
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.