Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jan 2012 (Friday) 13:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Repair Feedback

lucasbutchart
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 29, 2012 04:13 as a reply to  @ post 14408817 |  #16

Item: Canon 5D classic

Reason: mirror replacement

Service center: Vilma Paris

length of repair: 6+ weeks

Cost: price of shipping

Result: Bottom line, avoid Vilma Paris (Canon's repair service for regions near Paris). Sent camera in for mirror replacement and was told it'd be a week. After two weeks I contacted them and found out that they made a mistake on my address and UPS delivered it to someone else who kept the camera.

Luckily Vilma took responsibility and sent a replacement 5D that worked for about a week before it crapped out. Have now sent camera and am waiting. It's been going on two months. There's has been little to no communication from Vilma. I have to contact them to get updates on repairs. No emails, no communication from them. They are now waiting on parts.

The employees there don't seem to communicate with each other as they accidentally sent me an estimate for repairs on the POS replacement from their facility! It's really been enough for me to want to switch camera systems. I love the 5D when it works, and I still make money with it when I actually have the camera.
I've had to cancel one project because of their lack of professionalism and ineptitude.
If you're on holiday in France and your canon breaks, wait until you get to the US to send it in!

sponsored links
Soma ­ Jones
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 29, 2012 09:29 |  #17

I've got to say I'm super pleased with the repair process; the cost, the speed, the ease.

Item: 15 - 85

Reason: loose front element and sticking while retracting

Service Center: NJ

Cost 0$ under warranty

Length of Repair: 8 days from the time received at NJ to be returned

Results: Like new.

---------------

Item: 15 - 85

Reason: two weeks later I somehow severely scratched the front element after shooting without a lens hood or UV filter

Cost $163.00

Length of Repair: 8 more days from the time received at NJ to be return

Results: Like new.

www.somajones.com (external link)
7D, XSI 450D, 15-85, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580exII, ...

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 29, 2012 22:33 |  #18

Monday I am driving to Canon NJ to get my T3 checked out!

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 03, 2012 01:14 as a reply to  @ ian_socool's post |  #19

Item: 24-105

Reason: Continuously increasing amounts of dust in lens. IS not switching off on tripod wanted zoom stiffness tested (I thought it could be a little tighter).

Service Center: CA

Cost: under warranty, shipping (~$30)

Length of Repair: about 7 days

Results: Said I should not use IS on tripod, but still replaced some IS circuitry. I haven't noticed any difference. Zoom stiffness was normal. They agreed that dust was unusual for the conditions and 6 months I was using the lens and cleaned it for free (personally I think there was a blob of dust/crap in the lens from the factory that was 'leaking' dust inside the lens. Haven't had any dust issues in the 2 years since.
---------------
Item: T1i

Reason: Wouldn't switch on. The story here is that I was in Yellowstone watching Beehive (geyser) when the wind turned. Although I put the camera under my t-shirt I was soaked. The camera seemed to work, but after switching it off for 2 hours, it did not come back to life.

Cost: under warranty (no mention of any water damage), shipping ~$30

Length of Repair: about 7 days

Results: Replaced circuit board, everything fine.
---------------
Item: S95

Reason: Zoom mechanism broke.

Cost: under warranty, shipping ~$20

Length of Repair: Don't remember, but short

Results: Fixed, no problems.

---------------
Item: 17-40L

Reason: Suspected mis-alignment. OK on crop, but on FF upper left side was obviously focusing much further than lower left. worse at 17mm

Cost: $200 + shipping 2x $20

Length of Repair: about 20 days including the fact that I had to send it back a second time.

Results: Adjusted 'focus mechanism' and returned. Problem better, but definitely not fixed, sent back. Returned with another adjustment and it is acceptable. Fine from 20-40mm, still a bit off at 17mm.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

dlos
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 19, 2012 13:26 |  #20

Item: 100-400L

Reason: Manual Focus not working at all
Service Center: Newport News, VA

Length of Repair: Shipped to them Thursday, received back following Wednesday.

Cost: $286, out of warranty repair

Results:Returned to me extremely well packaged, lens sealed nicely in plastic. Lens was cleaned and looked new! Manual focus works flawlessly now. Apparently something "disconnected" inside. Would not hesitate to send to this facility again.

Canon 5D3 | 60D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF-S 10-22mm

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 23, 2012 19:03 |  #21

If you are in the NYC area and plan to drive to Canon to have the camera serviced, do not put 100 Ridge Road in the GPS. It will not come up as a valid address. You Must put in 938 Cranbury South River Monroe Township NJ 08831. It will lead you to the Sunoco station right across the street from Canon. Canon is really on Cranbury Road. Ridge Road is a road within the strip.

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jack ­ lumber
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 25, 2012 08:39 |  #22

Item: 28mm 1.8 lens

Created account at Canon repair basic price of 170 paid.

Problem: Dropped would not focus.

Sent to Canon mississauga Canada.

Checked online tracking, 1mth later phoned to enquire the repair status
I was told they were waiting for parts, but as it had been in for so long they would send me a new lens.

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "obsession"
---------------
5D-20D-7D gripped- all canon-28MM 1.8 - 50MM 1.8 -17-40 L -100MM 2.8 macro -70-200MM L F4- 100-40MM L -1X4 teleconverter-Sigma 20-40MM 2.8:D 580 EX 11 flash- manfrotto tripods and monopods.

Invertalon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 21, 2012 12:13 as a reply to  @ jack lumber's post |  #23

Item: 5D3 +_70-200 II + 1.4x II

Reason: Calibrate 70-200 to body, inconsistent focus at 200mm... Calibrate with 1.4x as well (out of warranty)

Length of Repair: Shipped to them Monday, receive everything back today (Friday). 5 Day from send to receive.

Cost: Warranty for 5D3 + 70-200 II... 1.4x I sent a CPS check/clean in with it... They did the calibration for free. Total cost was shipping only, at $13... Don't have to insure the stuff cause my personal policy covers that for me, otherwise it would of been near $70.

Results: The box was extremely well packaged... Each item tightly wrapped in thick bubble wrap, taped tightly together... Bagged and sealed. That sealed "package" was placed inside packing paper 'nest'. Very good packaging, as always.

I guess they found out my 5D3 was at fault... On the repair order they put:

"Your product has been examined and it was found that due to an 'other cause' in the AF assembly causing inaccurate auto focus from time to time. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly. Product functions were confirmed."

I did a quick test and the body looks to be giving perfect AF results from what I can tell without any MA, with or without extender. The AF also seems snappier, but that may be placebo effect... :p

200mm on my lens looks much more detailed and sharper than before. Especially near MFD. Always had this softness before. I guess the body was doing that somehow!

VERY happy with Canon NJ, yet again.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 21, 2012 13:33 |  #24

Item: 580EX
Reason: Flas stopped working
Service Center: Irvine, CA

Length of Repair: Shipped to them Thursday, receive everything back the following Friday.

Cost: $183 (including shipping)

Results: Well packaged, itemized repair list.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 22, 2012 17:24 |  #25

Invertalon wrote in post #15023944 (external link)
Item: 5D3 +_70-200 II + 1.4x II

Reason: Calibrate 70-200 to body, inconsistent focus at 200mm... Calibrate with 1.4x as well (out of warranty)

Length of Repair: Shipped to them Monday, receive everything back today (Friday). 5 Day from send to receive.

Cost: Warranty for 5D3 + 70-200 II... 1.4x I sent a CPS check/clean in with it... They did the calibration for free. Total cost was shipping only, at $13... Don't have to insure the stuff cause my personal policy covers that for me, otherwise it would of been near $70.

Results: The box was extremely well packaged... Each item tightly wrapped in thick bubble wrap, taped tightly together... Bagged and sealed. That sealed "package" was placed inside packing paper 'nest'. Very good packaging, as always.

I guess they found out my 5D3 was at fault... On the repair order they put:

"Your product has been examined and it was found that due to an 'other cause' in the AF assembly causing inaccurate auto focus from time to time. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly. Product functions were confirmed."

I did a quick test and the body looks to be giving perfect AF results from what I can tell without any MA, with or without extender. The AF also seems snappier, but that may be placebo effect... :p

200mm on my lens looks much more detailed and sharper than before. Especially near MFD. Always had this softness before. I guess the body was doing that somehow!

VERY happy with Canon NJ, yet again.

Thats the toll for the Verrazano alone. Next time I am shipping. I am NOT driving.

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 23, 2012 23:01 |  #26

ian_socool wrote in post #15029070 (external link)
Thats the toll for the Verrazano alone. Next time I am shipping. I am NOT driving.

Yep, bless the mta.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

Invertalon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 26, 2012 14:06 |  #27

Item: BG-E11 Battery Grip

Reason: Rubber grip material peeling.

Length of Repair: Shipped to them Monday, received back Friday... CPS Gold.

Cost: Free - Warranty

Results: Got a brand new BG-E11... I guess they would rather replace it than fix the grip material! Perfectly fine with that!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 28, 2012 16:29 |  #28

Item: xti body
problem: small Glue on dust particle that wouldn't come off the sensor even after my best efforts and those of a local shop
Service center- Irvine
length- don't remember
cost-free, warranty on brand new camera
results- explanation that the dust was "within specs". No cleaning even attempted, just instructions to use the camera software to delete the dust info from my future images.

I have had many great experiences with the Irvine shop, that one was frustrating but a rarity. I sold the camera with the letter I got from them so the owner Knew what he was getting, lost a bit on it but learned that you get what you pay for and even tho my xti was newer than my 10D, it was of a lower quality level and I went to a higher level and bought a 5D (that irvine cleaned once for me after I blew dust up into the pentaprism totally free and quickly too).

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 28, 2012 16:50 |  #29

Item: 10-22mm lens

Sent in for initial repair sent back fixed or so I thought. Lens is blurry on the outer 30-40% of the lens. Contacted Canon and they were very apologectic. Lens has been sent back in for adjustment, or a new lenses I hope! No cost to me except the initial $140.

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​m (external link)
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

Invertalon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 25, 2013 14:46 as a reply to  @ socalrailfan's post |  #30

Item: 24-70 II

Reason: Scratches behind front element... Followed by sound in focus ring.

Length of Repair: (2) periods of around 2 weeks... About a month total with CPS Gold.

Cost: Free - Warranty

Results: So here is the story... I notice scratches behind the front element of my lens... Send it in and they ordered a brand new front lens group from Japan which took about 2-weeks to come in. Overnighted back to me ASAP. Got the lens and noticed the focus ring now had this weird, spring like noise at two points along the throw. Called CPS and they told me the front element repair had nothing to do with the USM and the focus ring, so nothing had been touched. They were apologetic anyway and sent me an overnight fedex label. I think maybe it got dropped/impacted in transit back to me maybe.

Sent it back and John from NJ called me directly to tell me they compared it with others and something was not right. They had contacted HQ about the issue, since they did not want to replace random parts until the noise went away and wanted to confirm the part to replace. Once they did, it was a week to ship it in from Japan again. Arrived exactly on the day they told me and was shipped back the same day the part got in. I just received the lens and the repair worked perfectly.

Lens is 100% back to normal conditions, if not better! I am very happy and it was worth the wait. I did get (2) items of CPS swag (pouches) with the repairs, so that is cool I suppose. :D

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

14,751 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Repair Feedback
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.