Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 11:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D more expensive than 5Dmkii

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,718 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 21, 2012 13:34 |  #31

Judsonzhao wrote in post #15023909 (external link)
Canon should continue 5d2, and priced it around 1500 MSRP
6D should be something with focus system of 7D, or at least has the same central focus point as 5d2.. with compact body and wifi/gps.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. The 6D centre point is quite a bit better on paper (-3EV) and from the brief hands-on comments I've read is a lot better in practice.

TSchrief wrote in post #15024111 (external link)
In my humble non-professional opinion, Canon will discontinue the 5D2 when the 6D is released. If you want a new 5D2, get it now. The 5D2 was the gateway drug, sorry - camera, from APS-c to full-frame.

The 5D2 was discontinued from manufacture when the 5D3 was released. There have just been a lot on shelves waiting to be sold.

Gear List

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,307 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 21, 2012 13:43 |  #32

smythie wrote in post #15024367 (external link)
The 5D2 was discontinued from manufacture when the 5D3 was released. There have just been a lot on shelves waiting to be sold.

That's what I think as well but they sure are lasting quite a long time and still in the top 20 of Amazon's best seller DSLR list.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

aximrocks
240 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 21, 2012 14:06 |  #33

smythie wrote in post #15023416 (external link)
and better AF and better sensor

what makes you think so? Canon has made absolutely no progress in sensor technology over the last 4 years.

Gear List
My Album (external link)

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 21, 2012 14:23 |  #34

smythie wrote in post #15024367 (external link)
You obviously haven't been paying attention. The 6D centre point is quite a bit better on paper (-3EV) and from the brief hands-on comments I've read is a lot better in practice.

Dude, I bet you did't pay enough attention. I dunno what kind of in-depth review you watched, but 5d2 has a very accurate central point, with the help of assist focus points.

IMAGE: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/images/5d-mkii/af-color.gif

-3ev means presumably it could do better in lowlight only (find the target, nothing about accuracy), but the accuracy can be imagined to be way worst than 5d2 when you are using the wide primes.

IMAGE: http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/camera/canon/6D/6d_feature2._V388302678_.gif

Fly me away.

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 21, 2012 14:32 |  #35

TSchrief wrote in post #15024111 (external link)
edit: I forgot to add that I find gps and wifi kind of stupid on a camera. GPS? I doubt that I will ever take my camera somewhere and not know where I am. Subject matter can help, too. "Did I shoot this Eiffel Tower shot in Paris, or was it Birmingham?" Wifi? What the card doesn't come out of the camera? My cell phone contract is up in December. Done with that! I can live with out the entire world having 24/7 access to me. No thanks. GPS/WIFI, I'll never use them. Fair trade, my 60D has a useless (to me - C'mon!) flippy screen.

When Lightroom 4 was released (and I had a week-long, bed-bound flu) I immediately upgraded and began manually geo-tagging 70 years of family photos (20,000+). It was a really fun hobby which took my mind off of my fever. I couldn't locate the locations of many photos that I personally did not shoot. It sometimes meant tracking down old relatives and getting street names and such. Once I was well again the idea of manually geo-tagging seemed like a big chore. Considering the 6D has built-in GPS, I really wish it was built into the 5D3. The 300 bucks for the GPS addon (which received some poor reviews) seems like a real joke. I'd rather buy a new iPod Touch for that kind of cash! No doubt Canon left GPS out so that the 5D4 would have room to boast a new feature.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 21, 2012 15:28 |  #36

Pearlallica wrote in post #15024605 (external link)
It was a really fun hobby which took my mind off of my fever.

But what fun is a hobby where all the work is done for you? Isn't that kind of like buying ship in a bottle models and hiring a high school kid to assemble the ships in the bottle so you can put it on the mantle. :p

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 21, 2012 16:59 |  #37

Lest not forget the 6D has a cropped sensor compared to the 5d2 ;) It is slightly smaller lol

Cheers

_
My Gear is ---> Here

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 21, 2012 17:12 |  #38

FEChariot wrote in post #15024789 (external link)
But what fun is a hobby where all the work is done for you? Isn't that kind of like buying ship in a bottle models and hiring a high school kid to assemble the ships in the bottle so you can put it on the mantle. :p

If you get pleasure from that, the answer I guess is yes. There are people who buy kit-cars and get the manufacturer to assemble them. Which makes them just "cars" I suppose. But what the hell, different strokes...

I have no problem with anything being added to a camera's capabilities as technology advances. GPS is, to me, a fairly obvious enhancement. It'll be useful to someone, sometime. The visual level feature on my 7D is, for example, quite frankly, indispensable and has affected my technique for the better. Things like that are evolutionary and I get the point.

What I have a problem with is the apparent (on here) constant need to have the latest spec for its own sake. A year ago, my 5D2 was (to most) the state of the art jean-creamer that took amazing images and everyone should pawn their granny and kids to get one. Today, if you believe what you read here, my 5D2 only takes images of Keystone quality and lacks features that are as essential as cup-holders in cars and 4g compatibility.

Guys. Go out and take some photos with your camera and blow us all away with your work. Whether it's from a Box Brownie or a 6D/D600/D800 or any point in between.

My late night rant is at an end.

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 25, 2012 09:11 |  #39

JohnB57 wrote in post #15025154 (external link)
What I have a problem with is the apparent (on here) constant need to have the latest spec for its own sake. A year ago, my 5D2 was (to most) the state of the art jean-creamer that took amazing images and everyone should pawn their granny and kids to get one. Today, if you believe what you read here, my 5D2 only takes images of Keystone quality and lacks features that are as essential as cup-holders in cars and 4g compatibility.

I get that, and if you're someone with deep pockets, I say fine to that. Whatever gets you your kicks. I know a lot of iPhone4 owners and not one has told me they are interested in an iPhone5 upgrade. That tells me most regular folk are humble and enjoy what they already have. I don't see the 6D as necessarily a step up from the 5D2. It looks more like a 5D2 refresh with a more modern/relevant spec sheet wanting to stay competitive with current trends. It's definitely a great upgrade to the guy that hadn't made the leap to the 5D2 but is ready to without breaking the bank by the 5D3.

I too was a little annoyed at the surge of those ditching the 5D2 to 5D3 as if the gains were going to be so substantial. The ravings over improved IQ only confirmed much of that enthusiasm was surrounded by hype. My 5D2 and 5D3 work together on jobs and the IQ between the both are identical. The 5D3 will deliver in-focus images during action that the 5D2 simply cannot attain. But that's the only reason I picked up a mark 3. To "get the shot" for my clients. That's basically what it does best. Apart from that, the 5D2 still 'kicks ass' and 'takes names' 'in my books'. (pardon the over-use of expressions)

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links

6,846 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D more expensive than 5Dmkii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.