Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will 5Dii file sizes slow down my processing?

WT21
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 22, 2012 08:13 |  #1

I'm just a hobbyist, but I do use Lightroom. This is on a 2009 Macbook Pro. Lightroom 4.x is slower than lightroom 3 already, but I was thinking of upgrading from my 5D classic to 5D ii.

But, I'm wondering -- will the much higher MP files slow down my processing? If have 7,000 photos currently from mostly 10-12 MP shooters. Jumping over 20MP, will I see a big hit to performance and speed in editing?

What about storage? Are the files 2X the size (yes, I know storage is cheap, but backing up multiple external HDD I would think gets cumbersome).

Thanks for any insight/help for those who made that switch from 5Dc to 5Dii.

6D: 50, 85, 28-75, 70-210USM, 430EXii.
EOS-M: 22, 18-55

sponsored links
chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,201 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 22, 2012 08:24 |  #2

I upgraded from the 5D to the mkII in June. It didn't make as big a difference in processing time as I thought it would.

I do my editing on an i5 Thunderbolt iMac.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 22, 2012 08:24 |  #3

Well, the storage is self explanatory. Yes, you'll run out of space faster.

As for processing...I did the same thing...5Dc to 5D2 and I have a decent laptop (i5 with the automatic overclocking, 4GB RAM, 64 bit Windows, 64 bit Photoshop)...

I don't really notice my laptop slowing down when working with single files. However, when I'm stitching photos together, the files get MASSIVE with 15 or so 22 MP files being stitched...and the computer slows right down. I'm actually upgrading to 8GB of RAM ASAP specifically because of the camera switch.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

WT21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 22, 2012 10:38 |  #4

Does sRAW help at all in both storage size and RAM used in the computer during processing?

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 23, 2012 05:06 |  #5

WT21 wrote in post #15027929 (external link)
Does sRAW help at all in both storage size and RAM used in the computer during processing?

I used to do that as well but after some time I was bothered by the fact that the mkII's IQ output at 10MP sRAW didn't come out as crisp/sharp as the 12mp files from the 5Dc. I compared the 10mp sRAW from the 5D2 to the 12mp RAW from the 5Dc and also processed their respective jpg images to the same 2400x1600 viewing resolution. In both instances the 5Dc was the clear winner.

I then tried shooting at the full 21MP and IQ was now as good if not better when viewing at the same resolution. From what Teamspeed mentioned, he said that the internal Digic IV chip wasn't able to resize images as well as what your PC/lightroom would be able to.

Hence if you're going to upgrade to the 5D2, then shoot the full 21mp, if not dont upgrade.

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 23, 2012 05:13 |  #6

I use a 5d II and moving from an 8 mb 30D can honestly say that the larger file sizes are not an issue.

But Lightroom does have known issues with speed simply because it wants to not just process images, but manage the storage as well. This slows it down dreadfully compared to software that does not concern itself with anything but post processing. So thats where you need to consider your options.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 23, 2012 05:13 as a reply to  @ zarray's post |  #7

a little bit of heads-up for you,WT21,is that the 5d2, IMO, isn't really a big step up in terms of ISO capabilty. The 5Dc at expanded ISO3200 performs really close to the 5D2 at native ISO3200.

What i did enjoy with the 5D2 was the ability to microadjust and the ability to use Live View. Oh and the LCD is a lot nicer too!:lol:

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 23, 2012 05:30 |  #8

Also the net is full of Lightroom 4 threads due it being slow. Many believe an update will be released shortly that may help this situation

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Liquid ­ Dark
Goldmember
1,342 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 23, 2012 05:30 |  #9

WT21 wrote in post #15027468 (external link)
Lightroom 4.x is slower than lightroom 3 already

Adobe is working on the issue of LR 4.x being so slow compared to LR3, you can currently download the LR 4.2 RC beta good until end of October at which point they should release an upgrade addressing this issue.

I have worked on 36 mb files in LR and compared to my 5Dc files there isn't much of any perceptible difference, now if you stitch 15 files together like someone mentioned above then yeah, that would bog it down. I know you have a Mac, but Windows users should make sure they have plenty of room on their swap drive and use the ability to install a SD memory card to allow system to use it solely for additional RAM like memory.

As to external HD storage, you should be doing that anyway for file security reasons in case of a crash. TB drives are less than $100 now and that should last you a while or use one of those Cloud backup services like Mobi, etc.

William
Gear List: check out items for sale

WT21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 23, 2012 06:41 |  #10

zarray wrote in post #15030688 (external link)
a little bit of heads-up for you,WT21,is that the 5d2, IMO, isn't really a big step up in terms of ISO capabilty. The 5Dc at expanded ISO3200 performs really close to the 5D2 at native ISO3200.

What i did enjoy with the 5D2 was the ability to microadjust and the ability to use Live View. Oh and the LCD is a lot nicer too!:lol:

I am happy with 5Dc output, actually. It's lack of sensor dust reduction, micro adjust and the REALLY low res LCD that gets a bit old. Live view would be nice for MF from time to time, too. But the move, for my uses, would not be about image quality.

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 23, 2012 09:27 |  #11

zarray wrote in post #15030675 (external link)
I used to do that as well but after some time I was bothered by the fact that the mkII's IQ output at 10MP sRAW didn't come out as crisp/sharp as the 12mp files from the 5Dc. I compared the 10mp sRAW from the 5D2 to the 12mp RAW from the 5Dc and also processed their respective jpg images to the same 2400x1600 viewing resolution. In both instances the 5Dc was the clear winner.

I then tried shooting at the full 21MP and IQ was now as good if not better when viewing at the same resolution. From what Teamspeed mentioned, he said that the internal Digic IV chip wasn't able to resize images as well as what your PC/lightroom would be able to.

Hence if you're going to upgrade to the 5D2, then shoot the full 21mp, if not dont upgrade.

i had noticed as well on my 60D that any of the down sized RAW files were not as good as the original. In ACR there is a resize option that works better (for my eyes) than PS or any software for that matter. I assume LR has the same option as well but i never was able to get the LR trial to open an image. I just never took a liking to it. I am a ACR beleiver :). Anyways my advice is shoot at full resolution and downsize for editing. I seldom edit full size images anyway as i also seldom need to print large.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links

1,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will 5Dii file sizes slow down my processing?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.