Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 00:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark iii OVERHEATING during video

GizmoPhotograpy
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2012 00:25 |  #1

Why does my MARK iii overheat while shooting video?

I am shooting in 1920 30FPS and after about 5min of shooting my camera will say "camera will now automatically shut down."

GizmoPhoto

sponsored links
lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 23, 2012 06:27 |  #2

GizmoPhotograpy wrote in post #15030199 (external link)
Why does my MARK iii overheat while shooting video?

I am shooting in 1920 30FPS and after about 5min of shooting my camera will say "camera will now automatically shut down."

Are you in an especially hot environment ?

http://www.canon.co.uk …14-731490&page=1&type=faq (external link)

otherwise your unit might have a fault, if it shuts down within 5 minutes in normal conditions.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,618 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 23, 2012 10:37 |  #3

As others have pointed out, there could be a malfunction. There are also some things that you should be aware of concerning shooting video.

The manual for most Canon DSLR's mentions that video recording can shut down if the sensor overheats. From my understanding that typically only happens after 15-20 minutes but could be sooner if you are repeatedly recording videos, even in segments.

Not that it likely has any bearing on your issue, but use a class 10 card if at all possible and keep in mind that there are a tremendous number of counterfeit cards in the on-line marketplace. They may be labeled 10 but could be something altogether different. Get your memory from a reputable source, read that not eBay!

Also, be aware there are some limitations on how much you can record, even with the best of memory cards. More than 12 minutes can be recorded but there are some limitations. When the file size reaches 4 GB on most Canon DSLR's, recording will automatically stop. That means that at 1920x1080 dpi and 1280x720 dpi the maximum recording time of a single movie clip is about 12 minutes. At 640x480 dpi it is about 24 minutes. Check the 5DMKIII manual.

These numbers may vary slightly for the 5DIII, but capacity of the card differs in recorded time; at 1920x1080 dpi or 1280x720 dpi you can stuff about 44 minutes total of video onto a 16 gig card. At 640x480 dpi or crop 640x480 dpi this goes up to 1 hour 32 minutes. However, from my 60D manual, "the maximum recording time of one movie clip is 29 min. 59 sec. Depending on the subject and the increase in the camera's internal temperature, the movie shooting might stop sooner than 29 min. 59 sec." The 29 min 59 second limit is for legal reasons. If the camera could exceed that time limit, then it is classed as a video device and the import duties would change. This is not just the Canon line, Pentax for instance states "Like competing DSLRs, the Pentax K-5 also monitors sensor temperature during recording, and will halt capture if the temperature rises beyond a certain threshold." A reputable source also states "This limitation is due to the different (European) import duty rates for still and video cameras." There is no reference made to differing duty rates of product entering the United States however. So there may really be two limitations, one, the 29 min 59 seconds limitation imposed legally, and a sensor temperature issue that might also be reached in some rare circumstance.

By the way, the shutdown due to temperature can be a real drawback so consider renting a true video device if you are capturing something critical. At a recent horse show I was recording almost continuously and my 60D stopped based on sensor temperature. I had to wait several minutes before I could restart, missing several horses in the competition.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,912 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 23, 2012 11:28 |  #4

John from PA wrote in post #15031441 (external link)
As others have pointed out, there could be a malfunction. There are also some things that you should be aware of concerning shooting video.

The manual for most Canon DSLR's mentions that video recording can shut down if the sensor overheats. From my understanding that typically only happens after 15-20 minutes but could be sooner if you are repeatedly recording videos, even in segments.

Not that it likely has any bearing on your issue, but use a class 10 card if at all possible and keep in mind that there are a tremendous number of counterfeit cards in the on-line marketplace. They may be labeled 10 but could be something altogether different. Get your memory from a reputable source, read that not eBay!

Also, be aware there are some limitations on how much you can record, even with the best of memory cards. More than 12 minutes can be recorded but there are some limitations. When the file size reaches 4 GB on most Canon DSLR's, recording will automatically stop. That means that at 1920x1080 dpi and 1280x720 dpi the maximum recording time of a single movie clip is about 12 minutes. At 640x480 dpi it is about 24 minutes. Check the 5DMKIII manual.

These numbers may vary slightly for the 5DIII, but capacity of the card differs in recorded time; at 1920x1080 dpi or 1280x720 dpi you can stuff about 44 minutes total of video onto a 16 gig card. At 640x480 dpi or crop 640x480 dpi this goes up to 1 hour 32 minutes. However, from my 60D manual, "the maximum recording time of one movie clip is 29 min. 59 sec. Depending on the subject and the increase in the camera's internal temperature, the movie shooting might stop sooner than 29 min. 59 sec." The 29 min 59 second limit is for legal reasons. If the camera could exceed that time limit, then it is classed as a video device and the import duties would change. This is not just the Canon line, Pentax for instance states "Like competing DSLRs, the Pentax K-5 also monitors sensor temperature during recording, and will halt capture if the temperature rises beyond a certain threshold." A reputable source also states "This limitation is due to the different (European) import duty rates for still and video cameras." There is no reference made to differing duty rates of product entering the United States however. So there may really be two limitations, one, the 29 min 59 seconds limitation imposed legally, and a sensor temperature issue that might also be reached in some rare circumstance.

By the way, the shutdown due to temperature can be a real drawback so consider renting a true video device if you are capturing something critical. At a recent horse show I was recording almost continuously and my 60D stopped based on sensor temperature. I had to wait several minutes before I could restart, missing several horses in the competition.

First, with regard to your comments on the 5D mark III, it is capable of automatically spanning the 4G/12minute file limit. As per Canon, "It offers both All-I and IPB compression, supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, and automatically splits files greater than 4GB (FAT specifications) for extended recording without interruption." I believe this capability was first introduced in the 1DX. The upward limitation, as you point out, is 29 mins and 59 secs.

Second, the 60D, which I own and often use for recording concerts at full HD, is less prone to overheating than the 5D Mark II. I've recorded over two hours in warm, but not hot, venues with no overheating issues. There was even a YouTube video of one being used continuously for over 20 hours without overheating.

One thing I noticed early on was that the position of the LCD is important to avoid sensor overheat on the 60D. The sensor is located just behind the LCD in it's "normal" position against the camera back. If I record video with the LCD in that position for a while and then fold it out, the back of camera is hot because of the lack of ventilation. If I record video with the LCD folded out from the camera the camera back, while still very warm, stays much cooler. Obviously, with the LCD folded against the camera back the heat is trapped. I would guess that the T3i and T4i would be similar. Of course ambient temperature conditions are also part of the mix. but if you're not already doing so, I would definitely suggest folding out the LCD while shooting video.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

GizmoPhotograpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2012 13:11 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #5

Thank you for the suggestions guys. Just to give you a better idea of the environment, it was a bar with decent ventilation and room temperature.I can give you an idea from what started happening to my footage by taking a look at this footage from that evening. This was filmed on both an XA-10 and the 5D Markiii The clips that you see with strobing white bars going across the screen are from the 5D Mark iii right before it shut down on me. Once this happened I busted out the XA-10 as a secondary.

I really don't believe it was the environment where I was shooting in but the frame rate and duration that made my camera overheat. I suppose I am looking to find out how long should a 5D MARKiii be able to record video for in 1920-30FPS ALL before showing a reduction in quality. When I started recording it didn't start showing these bars until about 7min into the fashion show. The clip is very raw edited just to give you an idea of what I experienced that night.

ERROS start at about 0.14sec
https://vimeo.com/4996​8477 (external link)

GizmoPhoto

Negativ3
83 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 23, 2012 13:20 as a reply to  @ GizmoPhotograpy's post |  #6

Those errors appear to be your cam picking up flashes from other cameras? I see reflections in the scene at the same time as the horizontal "noise"?

Andy
My adventures designing a camera trigger... http://stormtrigger.bl​ogspot.com (external link)

GizmoPhotograpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2012 13:33 |  #7

I thought of the flash as well because there was a photographer but to see these bars and then the camera go into an automatic shutdown I assume they were linked. Maybe the camera began struggling to produce quality and at the same time render flash exposure creating light strobes across the screen? I am really not sure. I suppose I am looking for someone to help me consider what I should instead be shooting in rather than 1920 -30 when using video or what someone normally uses that type of frame rate for?

What it comes down to is being in that frame rate shooting in a nightclub at room temperature (76 Degrees) will the Markiii began to overheat from filming for more than 5 minutes?

GizmoPhoto

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,912 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 23, 2012 16:12 |  #8

GizmoPhotograpy wrote in post #15031919 (external link)
I thought of the flash as well because there was a photographer but to see these bars and then the camera go into an automatic shutdown I assume they were linked. Maybe the camera began struggling to produce quality and at the same time render flash exposure creating light strobes across the screen? I am really not sure. I suppose I am looking for someone to help me consider what I should instead be shooting in rather than 1920 -30 when using video or what someone normally uses that type of frame rate for?

What it comes down to is being in that frame rate shooting in a nightclub at room temperature (76 Degrees) will the Markiii began to overheat from filming for more than 5 minutes?

The 5 minutes of course is unacceptable. Besides my 60D, I have also recorded concerts with my wife's T2i and son's T3i and have never had an overheated sensor stop the action. Could be a problem with your camera perhaps?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 23, 2012 16:45 |  #9

What CF cards were you using ?

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

GizmoPhotograpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2012 17:02 |  #10

I wasn't using a CF at the time I was using a - 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC 95MB. I just got everything from ADORAMA and that was the very first video test I did.

Would the camera have had a hard time recording such a large format to a SD card possibly?

I am going to run another test with the same card to see if it happens again and also attempt on an EXTREME 16GB CF 60MB that I just picked up.

You guys were able to see those streaks in the footage though correct?

GizmoPhoto

sponsored links

15,890 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark iii OVERHEATING during video
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.