Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 26 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 09:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Flickr ? - Are we just giving our photos away for free?

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 14, 2012 08:02 |  #16

500px

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 14, 2012 08:04 |  #17

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #14835971 (external link)
If I'm not mistaken doesn't Reuters or Getty have free reign on Flickrs pool of photos to use as they see fit w/o compensating the photog?

Nope, that would be a copyright violation, nothing like that in the ToS.

For that to happen you would have to opt for a creative commons license with permission for use in a commercial work.

My flickriver (external link)

ChrisSearle
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Aug 15, 2012 04:27 as a reply to  @ ceremus's post |  #18

I've been giving this some thought. Personally I view my photography as the very antithesis of 'hard work', its what I do to please myself and to relax and have some fun with friends. As I stated earlier if people want to use my images then my view is that they are completely welcome, far better if someone else can get something from them ( yes, even money) than they just languish on hard disks.
However, the point has been made, to some people this is indeed 'work' ( poor them) and so I have to ask myself if my freely sharing high def images is taking away the opportunity for someone to earn their living... having considered it, and looked at my Flickr stream I conclude the answer is most definitely 'No'. Why is this? Well firstly my stuff is pretty crap compared to a professional and secondly it only gets looked at by friends and family except in the case of some of my natural history work and then I do get asked occasionally if pics can be used, usually for academic reasons as the subjects are fairly esoteric, I dont see anybody grossly profiting from macro's of horse flies for example....
Nevertheless, I am reducing the image size to under 2mb from the previous 50mb and hoping that this is of overall benefit to the photography community at large.

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2012 19:38 |  #19

Thats very noble of you Chris. I recently gave an image away for free to someone who contacted me through Flickr. They wanted to use the image in a book. The usual story, no money but an accreditation in the book for my image.
When the book came out, low and behold, they had missed the credit for my picture. Not the fault of the person who had written the book, and researched Flickr for pictures to illustrate it, but all the same I wasn't too happy. I expressed my disappointment and was told the error would be corrected in subsequent publication runs.
I too am considering watermarking my images from here on in. I do save low res copies of my images anyway but was told the other day of a program that can up-size our low res pictures. I am thinking of closing my Flickr page now too. I don't want to take money from people who want to make a living from photography ( although maybe they should make sure their shots are better than us amateurs ) I sure don't want someone to steal my shots to profit from them by selling them on. perhaps an ugly watermark is the way to go even though it spoils the image somewhat :(

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 05, 2012 17:02 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

ChrisSearle wrote in post #14803392 (external link)
Personally I'm extremely happy for people to download and use my images in any way they choose, I take it as a compliment, I create them for the enjoyment and satisfaction they give me and if other people enjoy them as well thats a bonus.

With respect, that's great if you don't need to make a living from your photos.

I'm using Flickr until I get to the standard I want/need to be at, at which point the account will get shut down or used for freebies/fun stuff.

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 05, 2012 18:47 |  #21

SuffolkGal wrote in post #14952126 (external link)
With respect, that's great if you don't need to make a living from your photos.

I'm using Flickr until I get to the standard I want/need to be at, at which point the account will get shut down or used for freebies/fun stuff.

Why not just upload your images in a low resolution and use it for promotion? Ultimately anything you put online has the potential to be stolen, but if you upload relatively small files that are branded/watermarked, most agree that the risk of theft is outweighed by the advantage of promotion.

My flickriver (external link)

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 05, 2012 20:03 |  #22

mrbubbles wrote in post #14772718 (external link)
If you go into the "Access to your original image files and other sizes" of your privacy settings you can set it to "Only You". This disables the download feature. You can then set the default viewing size for visitors to a size you only want them to see. Example: 1024. This will force users to see a certain resolution.

Other than that...anyone can steal the image you do allow to be viewed without a problem regardless of privacy settings.

This is what i do. No matter what if its on the Web someone can grab it. Download disable, right click disable, easy to get around. If i can see it i can get it. Low res and water mark is your only deterrent. Since i use Flickr to backup my images i just have the download restriction and max viewable file size and watermark.

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 06, 2012 17:30 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

ceremus wrote in post #14952570 (external link)
Why not just upload your images in a low resolution and use it for promotion? Ultimately anything you put online has the potential to be stolen, but if you upload relatively small files that are branded/watermarked, most agree that the risk of theft is outweighed by the advantage of promotion.

Yes, I may well do that :)

julianhj
25 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 23, 2012 15:26 |  #24

I read this thread with interest, then went and changed all my Flickr settings. Thank you!

500px seems to be a much higher standard (though that may be because I just look through the top rated stuff I guess!).

Gear
flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

lucasstahl
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 24, 2012 12:22 |  #25

I recommend 500px.

But no matter what(as others have said in this thread). When you upload a photo to the internet, it has the potential to be re-use and printed without your consent. I suggest throwing a watermark on the image that cannot be cropped out and doesn't distract the composition.

Geonerd
542 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Sep 26, 2012 12:32 |  #26

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #14835971 (external link)
If I'm not mistaken doesn't Reuters or Getty have free reign on Flickrs pool of photos to use as they see fit w/o compensating the photog?

Look at the 9th section in the terms of service
http://info.yahoo.com …/yahoo/utos/uto​s-173.html (external link)
This seem to preclude the typical 'image grab' that may companies try to sneak past users.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,613 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 27, 2012 19:21 |  #27

This thread, discussing image theft, more appropriately belongs in the General Photography Talk forum where the issue of image theft and theft-deterence has been discussed repeatedly. This is just one of those subjects where you're better off doing what is most comfortable to you; everyone has different levels of comfort/concern. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony: 35GM, 12-24GM | Sigma Art: 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 28, 2012 13:48 |  #28

Most of my sales and non-profit uses of my photos come through Flickr. Also i got connected with Getty Images thanks to Flickr and now have right at 200 images for sale and I'm starting to make money monthly after 7 months. I like sharing my work and all the sales are bonuses. Thanks to Flickr I just got asked by the Sierra Club to use several of my images for a website upgrade they're. I personmally dig something like that. If people like my photo and use it for personal use I see it as a compliment.

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​m (external link)
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

Jedi5150
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 07, 2012 13:03 |  #29

lilredss wrote in post #14841922 (external link)
Are any of the other sites for posting pictures any better than Flickr?

I have a Flickr account with just a few photos on it, since my mom and sister talked me into starting one.

But to answer your question, I greatly prefer smugmug.com. I believe it is owned by some folks at advrider (an adventure motorcycle forum...with incredible photography threads for those interested...check out the ride reports). Smugmug is very user friendly for hosting and sharing photos...much easier IMHO than flickr. You can also do a great deal of customization for your particular site, which unless I'm mistaken is better than flickr. I know of several pro/ amature photographers who use smugmug as their website. I use smugmug almost exclusively.

Archbob
104 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 11, 2012 19:06 |  #30

The licensing thing helps a bit but most people just take pictures from Flikr without looking at the license. If I'm looking for a certain photo, I generally look only for photos that are CC1(creative commons, attribution only) photos to use. But there are so many Public domain photo repositories, i really don't need to use flikr anymore. I usually use a combination of my own photos and public domain ones for my projects.

Good Free Photos (external link) -- My homepage of public domain photos

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

12,037 views & 0 likes for this thread, 31 members have posted to it.
Flickr ? - Are we just giving our photos away for free?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.