Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D III - Let's talk settings!

SoBlessednTX
44 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 22, 2012 20:50 |  #76

agedbriar wrote in post #15029173 (external link)
The Rate button isn't listed with the commands that can be reassigned.

It can be set to protect or to rate. It is on menu on the third page of the wrench (yellow) section.

sponsored links
RetSurfer
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 22, 2012 21:52 |  #77

Scott M wrote in post #15014573 (external link)
You can do the same thing by pressing the ISO button on the top of the camera. ;)

Yea, BUT, you can't see how the ISO change affects the shutter speed (when in av mode) like you can with the "set button" ISO select switch...

kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 23, 2012 00:37 |  #78

I don't like the magnify/zoom on the left side so I changed my set button to magnify. Use to use it for playback but with magnify it also asks as play

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmug (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1213134

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,128 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2012 07:52 |  #79

RetSurfer wrote in post #15029768 (external link)
Yea, BUT, you can't see how the ISO change affects the shutter speed (when in av mode) like you can with the "set button" ISO select switch...

Why not? The shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all displayed in the viewfinder. If you change the ISO using any method available while in AV mode, the shutter speed will change and it will be displayed in the viewfinder, as well as everywhere else it's displayed on the camera. Conversely, you will be able to watch the aperture change in the same manner while in Tv mode, and watch the meter needle move while in manual mode.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

thallikar
323 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 23, 2012 09:13 |  #80

Scott M wrote in post #15030978 (external link)
Why not? The shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all displayed in the viewfinder. If you change the ISO using any method available while in AV mode, the shutter speed will change and it will be displayed in the viewfinder, as well as everywhere else it's displayed on the camera. Conversely, you will be able to watch the aperture change in the same manner while in Tv mode, and watch the meter needle move while in manual mode.

Well, if you use the ISO button, you cannot see the shutter speed or any other parameters. With the set button, you can. Secondly, it is far more easier to use the SET button and the scroll at the same time than the teenieweenie ISO button and the scroll. Just try it out. It is a remarkable difference. I just found about this couple of days ago reading this thread and the SET button for ISO serves a much easier change.

http://500px.com/thall​ikar (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/64724969@N06/ (external link)

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 23, 2012 09:22 |  #81

thallikar wrote in post #15031179 (external link)
Well, if you use the ISO button, you cannot see the shutter speed or any other parameters. With the set button, you can. Secondly, it is far more easier to use the SET button and the scroll at the same time than the teenieweenie ISO button and the scroll. Just try it out. It is a remarkable difference. I just found about this couple of days ago reading this thread and the SET button for ISO serves a much easier change.

Totally Agree.
So freakishly easier to change ISO without having to "wait, was that the ISO button? No? This one? One sec I will look with my eyes... DAMN missed the shot" moments.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,128 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2012 12:00 |  #82

thallikar wrote in post #15031179 (external link)

I just gave it a try, and I now understand the difference. Very handy. Thanks, and sorry to those who I doubted on this one.

Also, I checked, but the 7D does not have this capability. That will present some interoperability difficulties for me when carrying both bodies if I get used to using this configuration on the 5D3.

Gear List

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 23, 2012 14:02 |  #83

Scott M wrote in post #15031657 (external link)
I just gave it a try, and I now understand the difference. Very handy. Thanks, and sorry to those who I doubted on this one.

Also, I checked, but the 7D does not have this capability. That will present some interoperability difficulties for me when carrying both bodies if I get used to using this configuration on the 5D3.

I have that same problem with the DOF button on the 1D4 vs the 5D3.

I can set it to AI-Servo<->One shot on the 5D3 but I can't touch it on the 1D4.
Same with showing all AF points all the time.

We are getting spoiled by new features :lol:

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,128 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2012 17:24 |  #84

Eyal wrote in post #15031991 (external link)
I have that same problem with the DOF button on the 1D4 vs the 5D3.

I can set it to AI-Servo<->One shot on the 5D3 but I can't touch it on the 1D4.
Same with showing all AF points all the time.

We are getting spoiled by new features :lol:

So true. It's too bad that Canon didn't add this to the 7D's major firmware update that was recently released. It would have been a simple addition, considering everything else that was added with that firmware. Oh, well, we can't have everything, I guess. :)

Gear List

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 23, 2012 22:07 |  #85

agedbriar wrote in post #15029173 (external link)
The Rate button isn't listed with the commands that can be reassigned.

totally should be re-assignable

the RATE button is the new direct print button/ useless.

datadump

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 23, 2012 22:12 |  #86

" Turn off AF confirmation beep"

This setting would be much more useful to me if the VOLUME of the beep can be adjusted to something super quiet that can barely be heard unless your face is right next to the camera.... i hate the beep only because its so dang loud.

datadump

Graziee
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 24, 2012 22:56 |  #87

Do you guys enable all AF modes on or do you prefer to leave only few modes enabled? I tend to use single point most of the time and zone when on servo. Curious how's your setup....

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 25, 2012 01:01 |  #88

I have zone and auto AF modes disabled.
AF beep disabled
Shutter release without card disabled
Focus priority for both one shot mode and 1st/2nd images in AI servo
Only cross type AF points are selectable
Continuous AF point selection pattern (sweeps from left most point to rightmost point if you keep scrolling, or vice versa - doesn't stop at the edge of AF points)
SET button magnifies 100% on AF point
Auto brightness disabled
Back button focus
AE lock button starts metering and AF at center point
DOF button set to switch between one shot and AI servo
Multi controller selects AF point

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

KathG
35 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 25, 2012 05:50 |  #89

StephenAndrew wrote in post #15038835 (external link)
DOF button set to switch between one shot and AI servo
Multi controller selects AF point

Hi , am I correct in thinking, that when you assign DOF button to switch between One Shot and AI servo, you have to keep the DOF button pressed, and on release it reverts back to one shot.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II EOS 80D | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM EF 40mm f/2.8 STM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,128 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 25, 2012 08:18 |  #90

Graziee wrote in post #15038490 (external link)
Do you guys enable all AF modes on or do you prefer to leave only few modes enabled? I tend to use single point most of the time and zone when on servo. Curious how's your setup....

I disabled the zone and all AF points modes -- same as I did with my 7D previously. No need to scroll through those modes, as I never use them.

Gear List

sponsored links

67,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D III - Let's talk settings!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.