Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2012 (Monday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question for you 5D2 --> 5D3 users

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2012 21:42 |  #1

I have a question for you all that has used a 5D2 as your main that switched to a 5D3. How many more keepers do you have with the better AF system. Did you ever use outerpoints with your 5D2 or mainly focus/recompose with the center? Do you notice a significant improvement in terms of speed, accuracy and keepers? Improvement in tact sharp images?

I'm not a wedding photographer, just a guy that enjoys photography as a hobby. I decided to ask you guys since if there's any type of photographer that shoots a lot of people, both posed and candid it's you guys! :D

Reason I'm asking is because I was considering getting a 5D2, until the 6D popped out. Now I may consider getting a 6D (pending more review of it's new AF system and outer-point reliability), however I may end up just getting the 5D3 if the 5D2 and 6D outerpoints end up similiar. I don't really get to take photos much, but I would like to get my feet wet in doing portraits and engagements one day if I can ever find the time.

Thanks! :cool:

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

sponsored links
boingy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2012 21:42 |  #2

Just repeating a question I asked on FM. I was bored at work and was meaning to ask on this forum, but I can't log on to POTN at work for some reason...

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2012 22:25 |  #3

I used to shoot with the 5D2 and there's just no comparison when it comes to the AF system. The 5D3 beats the crap out of the 5D2 in that department. End of story.

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2012 22:51 |  #4

nicksan wrote in post #15038354 (external link)
I used to shoot with the 5D2 and there's just no comparison when it comes to the AF system. The 5D3 beats the crap out of the 5D2 in that department. End of story.

+1

im a mainly wedding photographer but i shot a school event with kids watching movies in a cinema recently. photos were at ISO8000 on 5D3 and the photos are still usable to a point. 5D2 took a rest at this cinema event.

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 24, 2012 22:54 |  #5

+2. Big big improvement. Besides, it's 61 AF Points and a good majority of them are all cross type! Compare that with your 5D2 :P

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

boingy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2012 23:31 |  #6

I should have known all of you would say that! Damn I guess it boils down on how much I'll be allowed to spend from the wifey :p

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 24, 2012 23:41 |  #7

boingy wrote in post #15038599 (external link)
I should have known all of you would say that! Damn I guess it boils down on how much I'll be allowed to spend from the wifey :p

Easy, sell all of your gear except for the 85 1.8 and you should be able to have around 15-1600.

Use that to fund the 5D3 ;).

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 25, 2012 02:44 |  #8

After using a 5d3 since start of the year I would never go back to the 5d2 lol..

Af and just about everything else has improved so much.

Take the plunge. Prices are so much cheaper now than it was start of the year when it came out.

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 25, 2012 06:02 |  #9

You have a few questions buried in here. :)

boingy wrote in post #15038185 (external link)
Did you ever use outerpoints with your 5D2 or mainly focus/recompose with the center? Do you notice a significant improvement in terms of speed, accuracy and keepers? Improvement in tact sharp images?

As you know, the 5D2's best point was it's center point and for me the center point on my 5D2 was always fast and accurate, but you were limited to it. You could get away with using focus/recompose sometimes, but not always. The 5D3's outer points are certainly more useable and inherently yield more keepers.

That said I don't believe the 5D3's AF is all cupcakes and rainbows. I find it to be a little slow to lock in low light when using AF assist. It's accurate, but it's very deliberate, and therefore a bit slow - not something I experienced with my 5D2.

boingy wrote in post #15038185 (external link)
Reason I'm asking is because I was considering getting a 5D2, until the 6D popped out. Now I may consider getting a 6D (pending more review of it's new AF system and outer-point reliability), however I may end up just getting the 5D3 if the 5D2 and 6D outerpoints end up similar.

I would not expect a big difference between the 5D2 and 6D's outer points. The 6D doesn't have cross type outer AF points, which is really the issue with the 5D2. However, the center point on the 6D is supposed to be sensitive down to -3 EV which I believe is even lower than the 5D3, so if you don't mind sticking with the center point it may be a good option.

Also, the 5D3 no longer has the option to swap out the focusing screen to the more accurate precision screens, which as someone who mainly uses prime lenses, drives me absolutely nuts. It looks like 6D still has this option.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 25, 2012 08:55 |  #10

Ditto

Timnosenzo-- not experiencing this on mine and ive been in some pretty dark venues. Ive read your posts about this. Are you in servo when this happens or one shot ?? It does get Deliberate when its dark (f/3.5 at 1/50 at 5000 iso) and its slow to lock but theres also not much contrast in the light to lock either...other times at 8000 iso with some light to get on the front of the subject ,, and it locks instantly....its better than the MKIV because it would not lock in these circumstances at all ad im not sure the 1Dx would either.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 25, 2012 09:21 |  #11

They are in totally different leagues... 5D MKIII is SO much better if I compare it to the 5D MKII I almost feel ashamed for mentioning them in the same sentence.

Peter

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 25, 2012 09:46 |  #12

umphotography wrote in post #15039770 (external link)
Are you in servo when this happens or one shot ??

One shot.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 25, 2012 10:09 |  #13

timnosenzo wrote in post #15039267 (external link)
That said I don't believe the 5D3's AF is all cupcakes and rainbows. I find it to be a little slow to lock in low light when using AF assist. It's accurate, but it's very deliberate, and therefore a bit slow - not something I experienced with my 5D2.

i agree, i was not impressed when i rented one for a wedding. yes it was better than the 5dII focus system, but not by much imho.
it might have been because my expectations were too high, or because I didn't yet master the system. but it was not as awesome as I thought it would be. especially at locking on in low light, i was suprised with how crappy this was. like you said, even with AF assist.

that all said, i plan to replace one of my crop cameras with one before next season. so I'll have both a 5dII and 5dIII at that point.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 25, 2012 10:18 |  #14

timnosenzo wrote in post #15040004 (external link)
One shot.

West Photo here in Minneapolis has some 1Dx's for rent. I am going to rent one for a wedding so i can kill the curiosity. Ill let you know how it compares to the 5D3 in low light. Im told it is remarkably sensitive and accurate. But thats from someone who already has 7K invested in one. I sold my MKIV and grabbed another 5D3 because its lighter and worked better in low light. I dont know if its perfect, what is really, but im super curious as to how much better this 1Dx is or is not with the AF system...facial recognition and ability to spot focus at each point is huge and may solve what you are experiencing. I do know that it is not a stop better then the 5D3 for ISO..Its better no doubt. 12800 is usable,,8000 is usable with a 5D3....I purposely shot into the shadows when i tested it...Maybe a stop but more like 3/4 to my eyes...The AF is more accurate and more sensative on the 1Dx,, or so im told....we shall see about that.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 25, 2012 11:33 |  #15

My sharpest image on my 5d2 is not as good as an average image on my 5d3 in terms of sharpness. Its that amazing.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

6,682 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question for you 5D2 --> 5D3 users
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.