Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 24 Sep 2012 (Monday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shot my first pro-sporting event last night. DC United vs Chivas USA

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 24, 2012 10:08 |  #1

It was quite and experience for me! A coworker of mine was able to hook me up with press creds. He runs a blog and podcast devoted to everything DC United: www.unitedmania.com (external link). I shot with my Canon 60D and 70-200 2.8L, and 5DII and 24-70 2.8L. Need a longer lens to get down-field action.

IMAGE: http://abinajmphotography.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/DC-United-vs-Chivas/i-T6sXtXD/0/M/DCUnitedVsChivas-20120923-4111-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://abinajmphotography.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/DC-United-vs-Chivas/i-4drfL2M/0/M/DCUnitedVsChivas-20120923-4172-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://abinajmphotography.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/DC-United-vs-Chivas/i-vjjXdrr/0/M/DCUnitedVsChivas-20120923-4212-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://abinajmphotography.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/DC-United-vs-Chivas/i-jLDTPLx/0/M/DCUnitedVsChivas-20120923-4257-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://abinajmphotography.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/DC-United-vs-Chivas/i-j6bKh6K/0/M/DCUnitedVsChivas-20120923-4306-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://abinajmphotography.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/DC-United-vs-Chivas/i-P65DXG7/0/M/DCUnitedVsChivas-20120923-4569-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://abinajmphotography.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/DC-United-vs-Chivas/i-6T6vhQ2/0/M/DCUnitedVsChivas-20120923-4706-M.jpg

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

sponsored links
ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2012 20:39 |  #2

Crop tighter.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

CHillyDoggy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2012 23:54 |  #3

Agreed.

Craig Hill Photography (external link) / Craig Hill Photography on Facebook (external link)

cabinajm
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 25, 2012 05:34 |  #4

It'll be grainy and soft if I did.

-Chris
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 25, 2012 06:01 |  #5

cabinajm wrote in post #15039235 (external link)
It'll be grainy and soft if I did.

Since they're for a web blog, I think you could crop away the dead space and end up with a much, much stronger set.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,874 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 25, 2012 07:33 |  #6

They seem a touch on the hot side to me. Drop your exposure in post about 1/3 to 2/3 and see what you think.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

cabinajm
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 25, 2012 09:55 |  #7

k, thanks for the input everyone.

-Chris

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 25, 2012 10:29 |  #8

Your shutter speed is too slow (1/250) and you should be shooting with aperture wide open to keep the ISO down as much as you can.

In terms of reach, not sure what time MLS games are normally played but a 100-400L might be the ticket. I've shot NASL with only a 80-200/2.8 but I can get on the sidelines.

Joel

cabinajm
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 25, 2012 11:08 |  #9

from where I was at, I could only stay on the goal line. What shutter speed should I be shooting? I rarely shoot under lights. When I shot wide open I continually missed focus, but maybe that was because I was trying to push beyond the distance I could reach with the lens? No way I could afford a 100-400L right now. Something I would definitely like to get though... what about a 1.5x or 2.0x teleconverter? That should give me the reach I need at the expense of a stop or two, right?

-Chris

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 25, 2012 11:22 |  #10

For action I personally try not to go lower than 1/640. That should be fast enough to freeze player motion but you'll still get motion blur on the ball. To freeze the ball you'll need much faster shutter which is hard to achieve at night games.

Even when there's plenty of light the general rule of thumb is to shoot wide open to give the players some pop from the background. Nailing focus is part of the game when shooting sports. When the play is too far away I don't bother shooting for the most part as I know shots will be mediocre at best.

You could look at the 1.4x or 2.0x to get you some reach but I've not used the Canon offerings so can't give you comments on that. Another alternative would be to look at a used Canon 300/f4, you wouldn't need the IS version for this.

Joel

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 27, 2012 04:32 |  #11

joeblack2022 wrote in post #15040442 (external link)
For action I personally try not to go lower than 1/640. That should be fast enough to freeze player motion but you'll still get motion blur on the ball. To freeze the ball you'll need much faster shutter which is hard to achieve at night games.

Even when there's plenty of light the general rule of thumb is to shoot wide open to give the players some pop from the background. Nailing focus is part of the game when shooting sports. When the play is too far away I don't bother shooting for the most part as I know shots will be mediocre at best.

You could look at the 1.4x or 2.0x to get you some reach but I've not used the Canon offerings so can't give you comments on that. Another alternative would be to look at a used Canon 300/f4, you wouldn't need the IS version for this.

I disagree with shooting wide open all the time. When the light is poor you have no option, but in good light f4 or f5.6 are perfectly fine. The thing to watch for is filling the frame with the action to separate the action from the background. Not easy with a 70-200. You have to wait for the action to come to you.

If you get a converter you will lose your f2.8 so its not going to help under floodlights.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 27, 2012 04:58 |  #12

Now you know how hard it is to make a good sports photo.

Pick your backgrounds and shooting lanes wisely next time.

And, really?:

"After the nostolgia, I set up my gear and waited for the game to begin. I brought a brght orange sweatshirt to wear for when it started to get cold, and so my kids could find me on TV, which they did. Apparently they got all excited, and my son took a picture of the TV with his camera when I was on screen."

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 27, 2012 10:53 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #13

Next time, act like you've been there before:lol:

Even if you haven't

And I agree with Ajaffe, now you know it's a lot harder than it looks.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 27, 2012 13:34 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #14

I agree with the rest, you need way faster shutter speeds and longer focal length

TsPhotoSpot
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 27, 2012 14:01 |  #15

ZXDrew wrote in post #15037958 (external link)
Crop tighter.

Actually, I would say shoot tighter. Fill the frame as much as possible. A soccer field is huge and at some point you have to say they are too far away and wait for the action to get closer.

I am here to learn, so suggestions for improvement are welcome on any of my photos.
Tom S
Gear 5D3, 7D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 100-400L
My Photo Site,  (external link) Flickr (external link) and my YouTube site (external link)

sponsored links

2,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shot my first pro-sporting event last night. DC United vs Chivas USA
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.