Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2012 (Monday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question for you 5D2 --> 5D3 users

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 25, 2012 11:34 |  #16

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #15040488 (external link)
My sharpest image on my 5d2 is not as good as an average image on my 5d3 in terms of sharpness. Its that amazing.

wow, i'll have to give it another shot, maybe I got a lemon or something
(rentals can be hit or miss anyway i've found)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 25, 2012 12:20 |  #17

bigarchi wrote in post #15040496 (external link)

This thing is amazing, honestly. I sold a lot of my gear to get it because I wasnt getting such great results (mind you it was good, but not SUPER sharp). Now I want to buy some of it back because this thing is a monster when it comes to sharp images.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 25, 2012 12:47 |  #18

bigarchi wrote in post #15040496 (external link)

Eh, I have 4 of them now, AF is the same on all of them. :lol:

It's accurate, but it takes it's time.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 25, 2012 12:48 |  #19

timnosenzo wrote in post #15040845 (external link)
Eh, I have 4 of them now, AF is the same on all of them. :lol:

It's accurate, but it takes it's time.

4 of them? Why?

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 25, 2012 13:08 |  #20

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #15040851 (external link)
4 of them? Why?

I use 2 cameras all day, 3 sometimes, and occasionally my wife shoots wedding with me so I picked up another.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

boingy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 25, 2012 23:06 |  #21

I wish I didn't ask this question now...but maybe, just maybe the 6D outerpoitns will be useful, even in challenging lighting situations! :p

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 25, 2012 23:39 |  #22

Boingy,
let me decide for you... i sense that u r tossing btw 5D3 and 6D...
do u do weddings or r paid for photos? if so, 5D3 -> dual card recording (backup photos), ISO better (i assume), more AF points...

if not, just pick the 6D with single SDHC card and you can take time to recompose not to try out the side AF points and u save some $.

Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 26, 2012 06:58 |  #23

I've yet to pull the trigger but do aspire to upgrade at least one of my 5d2's to a 5d3. But I've been trying to limit the amount I spend on new gear. Maybe X months down the road they'll be a sweet deal on a 5D3 bundled with the new 24-70 as I very much want one of those, too.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 26, 2012 08:17 |  #24

boingy wrote in post #15043435 (external link)
I wish I didn't ask this question now...but maybe, just maybe the 6D outerpoitns will be useful, even in challenging lighting situations! :p

The only thing useful about the 6 outer points is that they let you know your not in the center,,,,,,,,they only work with more than sufficient light, and even with light,,its hit or miss....serious

For all the guys that have not switched to the 5D3.....let give you the main reason WHY you should from my friend, who is an excellent wedding photographer and shoots 20 Plus a year as well.

For the first time in 8 yrs since he switched and went all digital....he has been using a top of the line lexar pro card.......you got it. He had a card failure and 82 critical files were lost and he could not get them back.........he immediately upgraded to the 5D3 for the Dual card security feature.......This feature alone would be a primary reason why any wedding photographer should upgrade, let alone an AF system that actually works and servo that is deadly accurate...TRUE STORY FROM LAST NIGHT..we had a meeting last night with our association and when he told the story.. my wife leaned over and said " Im so glad you upgraded these cameras,,,,,,but your still not getting a 1Dx ":eek::lol:bw!

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 26, 2012 09:21 |  #25

I'm curious about some of the issues a few folks are having with this, like Tim, and StephenAndrew, to name two.

I absolutely believe they are having issues with the 5D3. I'm just trying to figure out whether it's a tolerance issue. Believe me, I have a pretty low tolerance for crappy performing AF points and while I did fine with the 5D2 shooting weddings, from someone who was used to the 1 series cameras, it was pretty frustrating. The center AF point on the 5D2 is indeed very strong. Tracking moving target was a major weak point for me though. I just couldn't trust it too much. I was actually thirsting for the 1DX. All this also had me shooting Nikon cameras for a year too, but the AF system on them (D700, D3, D3s) aren't all that better than Canon cameras of the same level.

So I am genuinely curious. Do my 5D3 cameras become a little deliberate? Sure, when the light is low enough the there's little to no contrast. All cameras that I have ever used exhibited the same behavior. But I don't notice a glaring issue that prevents me from getting the shots I need at weddings. It has never given me issues at the major happenings at wedding receptions. The AI servo is rock solid. I nail the aisle walk, reception entrances, and anything else where people are moving. heck, it's so good, I've been shooting some dance shots with my 50L wide open in AI Servo. Just LOVE the look I am getting with this. It's absolutely rock solid in that regard. The outer AF points are strong. I only have crosstype AF points enabled. Being able to switch to AI Servo via the DOF preview button is a godsend. Made life MUCH easier for me.

But just like the 1DMKIII (I had a great copy), I think there are some who are having real issues. Tim has 4 of these things and they all exhibit the same behavior, so I don't know though. Very curious...

johnpricephotography
94 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 26, 2012 09:31 |  #26

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #15040488 (external link)
My sharpest image on my 5d2 is not as good as an average image on my 5d3 in terms of sharpness. Its that amazing.

This pretty much sums it up for me also.
I have 2 x mark III bodies, couldnt wait to ditch the mk2

I always shot in Raw and now shoot in Raw+Jpg on seperate cards
The images are that sharp I now only ever seem to use the in camera jpegs which reduces my work flow no end.

Quote: Failure to prepare is preparing to fail
Nottingham Wedding Photographer - John Price Photography (external link)
2 x 5dmkIV, 1 x 5dmkIII all gripped, Canon 24-70 2.8LmkII, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mkII, Canon 17-40L and ton more.. 5x 600ex-rt's

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2012 14:08 |  #27

5d2 --> 5d3 user (also 1dmk4 was main)

not that i missed a lot of shots with the 5d2, but dayaam, i miss maybe 5 shots out of 3000 per wedding on the 5d3, and they are usually when the bride is backlit when they open the doors for a split second (and im taking a ton of shots of her walking down the aisle...can never have too many)

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

sarahwhite
63 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 27, 2012 10:44 |  #28

5dm2 does have a quite slow and uncontrollable AF D:

Photographer at Flanelle Magazine www.flanellemag.com (external link)
www.sarahwhitephoto.co​m (external link)

sarahwhite
63 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 27, 2012 10:45 |  #29

I guess I'l have to try the 5dm3, but also I've heard a lot of friends tell me it wasn't worth it money wise.

Photographer at Flanelle Magazine www.flanellemag.com (external link)
www.sarahwhitephoto.co​m (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 27, 2012 10:51 |  #30

This thread is no-good for my wallet :)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links

7,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question for you 5D2 --> 5D3 users
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.