Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 24, 2012 15:08 |  #8176

K6AZ wrote in post #15035940 (external link)
So where are the pictures? I was thinking you should have it by now.

Pics will come. I just haven't had a chance to take it outside and I'm reading the manual. ;) What sucks is that I'm on call at the hospital on Saturday. My time is really limited.

sponsored links
monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 24, 2012 17:08 |  #8177

Bob_A wrote in post #15034075 (external link)
Hey mister ... stop shooting me with that cr@ppy 70-200 f/2.8VR I ... you know only the II version takes good images!

QUOTED IMAGE

Larger image (external link)

Hahaha very nice :)

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 24, 2012 17:09 |  #8178

K6AZ wrote in post #15036023 (external link)
Best sharpening action = use the 24-70. ;)

Hahaha can I add the 70-200mm VRII too?

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 24, 2012 17:17 |  #8179

monk3y wrote in post #15037163 (external link)
Hahaha can I add the 70-200mm VRII too?

Yeah, and you can throw in the 14-24 and 16-35 too. :lol:

Flickr (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 24, 2012 17:23 |  #8180

Bob_A wrote in post #15035089 (external link)
I've heard the "optimized for crop cameras" reason in the past. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me ... but who knows, it could be true.

Never hear of any copy to copy variability with the lens. If there is then I'm one of the lucky ones because it performs exactly as expected.

it was released in 2003, Nikon was committed to DX DSLRs for professionals at the time and likely any plans for a FF one were far in the future, Due to the nature of Film and how we view it its likely the weaker borders wouldnt be discovered even on -very- good film... So it was likely "optimized" with a very strong center to perform best on the increasingly more demanding DX bodies... So yeah, I feel Nikon probubly "optimized" the lens for what was most demanding at the time, their DX DSLRs, and figured if/when FF becomes a thing they'll just update the lens

As for copy to copy variability, i remember reading a few things about it cautioning people who buy it used.. It was back when i was looking at buying the D300 and the 70-200 f/2.8 VR I

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 24, 2012 17:24 |  #8181

K6AZ wrote in post #15037205 (external link)
Yeah, and you can throw in the 14-24 and 16-35 too. :lol:

Yes!!! bw!bw!bw!

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 24, 2012 22:13 |  #8182

Just got my cam back from Nikon, to fix the left focus issue and general AF weirdness. Happy to report, it's fixed.

16-35mm is dead on with no micro adjust on ALL points. Even at 16mm, the far left point is dead on. So is center, and right (yay!).

So is the 50mm 1.8 (dunno if I'll keep that one though or get a zoom of some sort).

Unlike the complaints I've seen about Nikon packaging things poorly, this thing was wrapped in plastic, then wrapped in bubble wrap, then in a large box filled COMPLETELY FULL with packing peanuts. I mean, it was wrapped like precious treasure. =p Repair took about 2.5 weeks. I'm happy now, yay.

Edit: I used El Segundo

amanathia.zenfolio.com

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 24, 2012 22:40 |  #8183

woos wrote in post #15038300 (external link)
Just got my cam back from Nikon, to fix the left focus issue and general AF weirdness. Happy to report, it's fixed.

16-35mm is dead on with no micro adjust on ALL points. Even at 16mm, the far left point is dead on. So is center, and right (yay!).

So is the 50mm 1.8 (dunno if I'll keep that one though or get a zoom of some sort).

Unlike the complaints I've seen about Nikon packaging things poorly, this thing was wrapped in plastic, then wrapped in bubble wrap, then in a large box filled COMPLETELY FULL with packing peanuts. I mean, it was wrapped like precious treasure. =p Repair took about 2.5 weeks. I'm happy now, yay.

Glad to hear that. What was the process to initiate the return? I think I'm going to send mine in shortly to get it checked out since all of my lenses require large-ish negative numbers.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 24, 2012 23:59 |  #8184

Glad they fixed it up for you. I'm still not quite sure if everyone is having issues with the same left FPs, do you recall which points were bad on yours?

Flickr (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2012 06:04 |  #8185

K6AZ wrote in post #15038665 (external link)
Glad they fixed it up for you. I'm still not quite sure if everyone is having issues with the same left FPs, do you recall which points were bad on yours?

I did some testing with my D800 and all the left AF points bang on from the center to left.

tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 25, 2012 09:34 |  #8186

My camera is with Melvile Service Center for 13 WORKING DAYS and counting. This is the second time I sent it to them.

foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 25, 2012 12:57 |  #8187

Guys, I'm having such a hard time adding a lens right now.

My issue is that I want a fully functional, <$1000 fast prime for my D700. I use a 24-70G, 35 1.8 (yeah the DX one) and an 80-200 AFS. I have a $200 B+H gift card collecting dust.

For walkaround use I love my 35G in FX mode. It's perfectly suited for closer subjects; the vignetting (which isn't crippling from 1.8-2.8) and color can be beautiful under the right conditions.

But of course there are the times when I just can't have that kind of light falloff. I've been thinking about the new Siggy 35 1.4 very seriously. I really love the 35mm FL, so if it's less than their 85 it might be too tempting to pass up.

My other desire is for a dedicated portrait/tele prime lens. I never use the 80-200 for fun because it's massive... it only comes out when I need the reach. So I'm looking at the Siggy 85 1.4, Nikon 85 1.8G and Rokinon 85 1.4. I could get the Rokinon 85 for less than $150 with my gift card on Thursday. I just worry about regretting the MF. I know I'd make money if I resold it quickly, but I'd also lose my gift card. The Nikon is a nice happy medium at $500ish w/o the card, but it's not 1.4, so possibly too close to the 80-200 to be worth it. The Sigma is the most expensive but there's a good used one on B+H right now. I've read amazing things about all three of these lenses which makes the decision extra annoying. What would you guys do if you were on a tight budget? I'm definitely leaning towards getting an 85 because I still enjoy my 35G for daily use.

By the way, I have a Nikon 24 2.8 also. I'll sell it if I get any of the more expensive lenses, because it was really just a stopgap for my 24-70.

tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 25, 2012 14:09 |  #8188

D700 with a Siggy 85 is so sweet. I was using that combo before and I really miss it right now.

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 25, 2012 15:27 |  #8189

NR find out this FB page :lol:
https://www.facebook.c​om/NikonGirls (external link)

Nikon D800

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 25, 2012 18:40 |  #8190

foxesamu wrote in post #15040889 (external link)
Guys, I'm having such a hard time adding a lens right now.

My issue is that I want a fully functional, <$1000 fast prime for my D700. I use a 24-70G, 35 1.8 (yeah the DX one) and an 80-200 AFS. I have a $200 B+H gift card collecting dust.

Sounds like the 85mm f/1.8G is right for you to be honest... theres a pretty good difference between 80mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.8, 1 1/3 stops or so difference... Not to mention the 85 is going to be sharper than your zoom most likely

The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is also fantastic so dont get me wrong, but im pretty sure the Nikkor has faster AF which might make it more useful as a general purpose "tele"

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links

762,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.