Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommendations for 24" monitors

mcoomer
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 25, 2012 22:48 |  #1

Just finished building a new computer (3770K, dual SSD, HD 7950) and would like to get recommendations for a monitor. My current monitor is an older (4-5 years) Viewsonic VX2235wm. I'd like to get something in the 24" range and will probably buy two so I'm looking for price/performance compromise I suppose. Let me hear what you would get if you were only buying one and what you would get for a dual setup.

Thanks much,
Mike

Gripped 5D2, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 580EXII

sponsored links
Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 25, 2012 23:07 |  #2

What is the budget? Wide gaumut?? HP ZR24w is a good bang for the buck choice as far as IPS panels go. It is 16x10 too which is super useful. There is a 24" IPS dell around the same price point that gets good reviews too.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 26, 2012 00:24 |  #3

Do you want normal gamut or wide gamut (for many wide gamut is the wrong choice)? I have a NEC PA241W that I'm very happy with, but because of cost I'd probably not use two of them for a dual monitor setup.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …K_SV_24_1_Wides​creen.html (external link)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

mcoomer
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 26, 2012 09:29 |  #4

Have to admit I'm not very well educated in monitor specifications. I've built a number of PCs and know what I'm doing there but monitors have always been bought using a quick eye test in the store.

Poking around on the net it seems that using a wide gamut monitor is great when working with color managed applications like Lightroom but maybe not so much with Windows OS apps and Office. Since I'll be using this monitor for my photo editing, web browsing, flight simulators, and productivity apps I need a monitor that will work for everything I do. I see a lot of net entries talking about Windows 7 supporting color management. Does this mean that it will display everything properly or am I going to have apps, videos, games, and a desktop with oversaturated colors?

Assuming that wide gamut is correct for my setup, I need to come up with a budget. I can tell you that I won't be dropping $1k on a monitor, but I could go $400-500. If I can see a definite bang for the buck improvement probably a bit more but I'd like to keep the wife off my back and me off the couch if at all possible.

Mike

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 26, 2012 21:05 as a reply to  @ mcoomer's post |  #5

Google on Photography monitor. You will find sites with reviews and recommendations.

Moppie
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 26, 2012 22:08 |  #6

The Dell 2412 is a really nice sweet spot for image quality and price.
I've got 2 on a photography work station and my wife uses one for gaming.

It compares quite well to my other set up running the much more expensive 2410 and larger 2711. It is not as good, but most people won't notice the difference.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 26, 2012 23:01 |  #7

mcoomer wrote in post #15044825 (external link)
Have to admit I'm not very well educated in monitor specifications. I've built a number of PCs and know what I'm doing there but monitors have always been bought using a quick eye test in the store.

Poking around on the net it seems that using a wide gamut monitor is great when working with color managed applications like Lightroom but maybe not so much with Windows OS apps and Office. Since I'll be using this monitor for my photo editing, web browsing, flight simulators, and productivity apps I need a monitor that will work for everything I do. I see a lot of net entries talking about Windows 7 supporting color management. Does this mean that it will display everything properly or am I going to have apps, videos, games, and a desktop with oversaturated colors?

Assuming that wide gamut is correct for my setup, I need to come up with a budget. I can tell you that I won't be dropping $1k on a monitor, but I could go $400-500. If I can see a definite bang for the buck improvement probably a bit more but I'd like to keep the wife off my back and me off the couch if at all possible.

Mike

Unfortunately anything that isn't color managed will display with over-saturated colors if you run at full gamut. Things like Windows desktop are easily fixed by replacing the background with an aRGB or ProPhoto RGBimage. For some other things like Adobe Flash Player slideshows (used by most photo sharing sites like Smugmug, Zenfolio, Flickr, etc) there is no fix. Even a color managed browser won't help.

If you edit using sRGB and have no intention of using aRGB or ProPhoto RGB then I'm not aware of any advantage to getting a wide gamut monitor (but certainly I can point out some of the headaches :) ).

If you decide to go with wide gamut some of us would be happy to help you tweak/replace a couple of things to have a better experience while in full gamut.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

mcoomer
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 27, 2012 00:26 |  #8

Sounds like I need to get to a store and try to compare some monitors side by side. I'd love to have a wide gamut to show me exactly what my shots look like, or will look like if printed. I suppose if you're not printing shots and only viewing them as slideshows or burning them to disc for others to view it won't matter because the monitor they're being displayed on will determine how they look to the viewer.

Mike

Moppie
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 27, 2012 01:51 |  #9

I have two work stations, one uses wide gamut monitors, the other regular sRGB monitors.

aRGB is useful only if:

You only shoot RAW or aRGB JPEG and convert/process in a fully profile aware program that also supports wide gamut, or works in wide gamut.

Your doing very colour and detail critical work, and whole work flow including the end users understands aRGB

You understand aRGB, why its different from sRGB and the full implications of what that means.

You out put to aRGB (remember the vast majority of printers are not even full sRGB and can't get close to aRGB, especially commercial printers).

This is why I have the two set ups.

The work station for one business deals with RAW files only and some of the work is colour and detail critical, and I do occasionally get customers who understand aRGB.
The other work station handles a mixture of RAW and sRGB JPEG's, its total out put is to sRGB printers and while the work is colour critical, its important to keep it consistent with sRGB right trough the work flow (converting sRGB to display on an aRGB monitor can do bad things to how the file looks, causing you to make adjustments you don't need to, which makes the prints look really, really bad. I learned that the hard way.).

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links

1,334 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommendations for 24" monitors
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.