Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manual Setting and Exposure

Canon_lily
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 24, 2012 13:12 |  #1

Hello,

I would appreciate any help I can get. I am using a Canon 5d Mark ii (recently purchased) and I am trying to understand this..

While I have my camera set to Manual, how do I change the exposure compensation so that it only moves up and down the bracket as single stops. Rather than having it be on AEB and with three separate stops as if I am shooting HDR. I don't like that while I am shooting Manual I have to take multiple snaps in order to get the picture to the exposure I want.
I have read the manual and it is not giving me the help I need.

Thank you in advanced.

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2012 13:15 |  #2

There is no exposure compensation in manual mode.

Joel

dmxsoulja3
56 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2012 13:15 |  #3

Exposure compensation isn't available in Manual only the program modes.

Canon_lily
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 24, 2012 13:18 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #4

Thank You Joel,

I find it hard to believe this isn't available on Manual, that sucks. I used it a lot on my Rebel.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,781 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2012 13:31 |  #5

Canon_lily wrote in post #15036157 (external link)
Thank You Joel,

I find it hard to believe this isn't available on Manual, that sucks. I used it a lot on my Rebel.

Its manual. You set the aperture and shutter speeds manually.Thats the point. You need a stop more you open a stop.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 24, 2012 16:38 |  #6

Thank You Joel,

What model Rebel provided EC (Exposure Compensation) capability when in the "M" (Manual) mode?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

smallpotatoes
855 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2012 17:12 |  #7

Like others have said, there is no exposure compensation in Manual mode because you don't need EC in Manual. To change your exposure in Manual mode you simply change your aperture, shutter speed and/or ISO.

Jaci

XTi, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro, 55-250 IS, 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, 430EX, Raynox DCR 150

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 24, 2012 17:14 |  #8

Open or close the aperture or increase or decrease the shutter speed. You are the exposure guy now! :-)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 25, 2012 07:01 |  #9

I find it hard to believe this isn't available on Manual, that sucks.

What does EC do normally?

In Av mode it changes the shutter speed, so in M mode you can use EC by changing the shutter speed manually.

In Tv mode it changes the aperture, so in M mode you can use EC by changing the aperture manually.

What's so sucky?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,857 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 25, 2012 10:33 |  #10

'Exposure compensation' is both a CONCEPT (the concept is "adjusting what the meter thinks to be a good exposure, to compensate for a subject/scene which is brighter/darker than the assumed 18% average tonality"), and a CONTROL FUNCTION (the EC control of the camera).

• In Manual, you employ the CONCEPT by not aligning the exposure mark to the '0' center of the scale, and leaving the indicator to one side of the scale, via selection of Aperture or Shutter Speed or ISO, to bias what the meter thinks is correct.
  • In P or Av or Tv you utilize the CONTROL, and by rotating the dial on the back cause the indicator to be moved to one side of the scale, to bias what the meter thinks is correct.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,892 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 25, 2012 11:14 |  #11

Thank You Joel,

I'd recommend you start doing some reading. Have you read Understanding Exposure yet? Great place to start (I checked it out at the library).

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 25, 2012 11:48 |  #12

Exposure compensation exists because there are certain subject/lighting scenarios that would fool the camera meter in to giving an incorrect exposure if left to it's own devices. Typical examples are either very dark subjects or very bright subjects. If you take a snow scene as an example, the camera meter doesn't know that it's looking at a snow scene and just measures the amount of light coming through the lens and sets the exposure accordingly. The result is an underexposed image because the camera doesn't recognise that all the additinal light is because the subject is a very bright subject rather than a street scene under a fierce mid day sun.

In that situation, if shooting in one of the auto modes, you could use EC to dial in an additional extra stop or so, thus telling the camera to meter the scene but then add a stop to the settings that it calculates based on those readings.

In manual mode, the camera isn't making any decisions with regard to what aperture or shutter speed to set, you are. That's why it's called manual mode, but it's also why EC doesn't work in manual, because the camera isn't in charge of any settings that it can change to make the compensation. If you need to make some sort of compensation while shooting in manual mode, just change the ISO/aperture/shutter manually.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 26, 2012 07:24 |  #13

SkipD wrote in post #15037023 (external link)
What model Rebel provided EC (Exposure Compensation) capability when in the "M" (Manual) mode?

Film cameras had exposure compensation in manual,,, via the ISO/ASA dial ;)

Many by a separate compensation dial.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 26, 2012 07:28 |  #14

yogestee wrote in post #15044353 (external link)
Film cameras had exposure compensation in manual,,, via the ISO/ASA dial ;)

Many by a separate compensation dial.

Yeah. Uhhuh. :rolleyes:

The ISO/ASA dial in my Nikon F film cameras consists of the rotary latch for the back of the camera so I can change the film to a different speed film.  :p

I still want to know what model Rebel that Canon_lily had that provided EC in Manual mode.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 26, 2012 08:10 |  #15

If your camera has stock settings, it is really easy to "count off stops" in manual mode. If you count 3 clicks on the rear wheel or 3 clicks on the front wheel, that will equate to a one stop adjustment. You can combine the two, of course, just have to remember to keep things consistent (ex slower shutter speed combined with larger aperture for more exposure)

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

sponsored links

2,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manual Setting and Exposure
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.