Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

reptile picture help..!!!

multicorn
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 26, 2012 14:58 |  #1

Hello this is our first post

We have just bought an eos 450D with stock lense.
We want to photograph reptiles in captivity for our hobby website/growing records etc etc..!!

Similar to this (pictures taken on my phone)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1259.photobuck​et.com …snakes/auratumn​female.jpg (external link)

The problem that we are currently experiencing with the 450D and stock lense is depth of field. All pictures are very narrow focus, extending the f only increases the exposure therefore blurring even more..!

questions:

is the stock lense limited to a certain distance ? ie Macro we shoot at around 500mm-1000mm usually

What lense do people use or recommend for live maro photography.??

I currently get better photo's from a phone why ??

Macro, wide angle, HELP...!!!!!!!

Thank you for any responses
Martin

sponsored links
TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 26, 2012 15:06 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

The only way to increase DOF is to stop down the lens. Shoot at f/8 to f/16. Raise ISO if necessary. Add a flash, but do NOT use direct flash on these subjects. It will look terrible. What program are you using for processing? Allow me to suggest LR4.1. It is fantastic, and inexpensive. Also, the lens you are using is not one of the best. You may need to spend some $$$ to upgrade your work. The lens would be the last thing I upgraded, though. As you have noticed, the DSLR is a completely different animal than the iPhone. There is a moderate learning curve.

Gear List

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,253 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 26, 2012 15:07 |  #3

A SLR will have shallower DOF than a P/S due to a number of things. It's the nature of the beast. It is not a problem specific to your camera or lens. It's simple physics. We don't have to get into the specifics but if you want more DOF then there are a couple of things you can do. First, shoot at a higher f-stop. The smaller the aperture, the greater the DOF. You will need to compensate by either raising the ISO or add more light, or a combination of both most likely.

You can also focus stack but that is always tricky on moving critters so the first method is easier. Lastly, you can move farther away from the critter and crop, or shoot with a mild tele-lens.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2012 15:07 |  #4

You would just need more light, as you make your aperture smaller.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,943 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 26, 2012 15:14 |  #5

Welcome to POTN, Martin.

The difference between your phone and your 450D is the size of the sensor. The tiny sensor in the phone will give much greater depth of field for a given f-stop.

You can get greater DOF with your 450D by shooting in Av mode and selecting a smaller aperture (higher f-number).

What lens are you using? The usual kit lens on the 450D (I think) is the 18-55, which will focus quite close - not an issue in your case, since your shooting distance is 500-1000 mm.

The kit lens should serve very well if you shoot at f/11 or f/16 (for greater DOF).

When shooting at small apertures you'll need more light, not a problem if you use flash. If you're using natural light you'll find your camera (in Av mode) will select a slower shutter speed, which may be a problem if you shoot handheld. If that's the case, choose a higher ISO. I usually shoot at ISO 800 - it gives me great flexibility with aperture and shutter speed with not much noise.

Hope I haven't buried you in the tech terms. ;)

-js

EDIT: geez, all those guys got in ahead of me while I was typing. I lose again. :lol:

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 26, 2012 15:14 as a reply to  @ Paolo.Leviste's post |  #6

Which is the "stock" lens?

Get a tripod or a flash, or both.

Try f/11. If you go much beyond that, your pictures may not be as sharp.

You asked about a macro lens; do you need true macro for reptile photography? If so, the Canon 100mm L and non-L are both very good.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 15:19 |  #7

LV Moose wrote in post #15046327 (external link)

Probably the EFS 18-55mm IS.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 15:20 |  #8

Flash is the answer if you want to shoot at a small enough aperture to get it all in sharp focus. Otherwise I'd just suggest making sure the eyes are sharp, same as if you're shooting a person.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

multicorn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 26, 2012 15:23 |  #9

number six wrote in post #15046326 (external link)
Welcome to POTN, Martin.

The difference between your phone and your 450D is the size of the sensor. The tiny sensor in the phone will give much greater depth of field for a given f-stop.

You can get greater DOF with your 450D by shooting in Av mode and selecting a smaller aperture (higher f-number).

What lens are you using? The usual kit lens on the 450D (I think) is the 18-55, which will focus quite close - not an issue in your case, since your shooting distance is 500-1000 mm.

The kit lens should serve very well if you shoot at f/11 or f/16 (for greater DOF).

When shooting at small apertures you'll need more light, not a problem if you use flash. If you're using natural light you'll find your camera (in Av mode) will select a slower shutter speed, which may be a problem if you shoot handheld. If that's the case, choose a higher ISO. I usually shoot at ISO 800 - it gives me great flexibility with aperture and shutter speed with not much noise.

Hope I haven't buried you in the tech terms. ;)

-js

EDIT: geez, all those guys got in ahead of me while I was typing. I lose again. :lol:

Thank you,
No you didn't lose me you were very easy on the 'tech speak'
right i will give it a go now on those settings.

it is false light (daylight bulbs)

the stock is 18-55mm

LV Moose wrote in post #15046327 (external link)

as above, thanks

multicorn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 26, 2012 15:46 as a reply to  @ multicorn's post |  #10

ok here is a photo.

f16
iso 800
1/4000

no flash

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1259.photobuck​et.com …multicornsnakes​/miami.jpg (external link)

generally an improvement but the focus is not quite right on any pont of focus..!!
it is generally out of focus all over.

i have centre point focus on.

Thank you
Martin

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 26, 2012 15:55 as a reply to  @ multicorn's post |  #11

Were you closer to 18 or 55? You should have a deeper DoF closer to the 55mm end and shooting further away.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

5DM2User
76 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 26, 2012 15:56 as a reply to  @ multicorn's post |  #12

If U don't have the cash for it, sorry forget this writing.
But if U do ? Buy the Canon 100mm/f2.8 Macro lens, the one with IS !
U don't need to change the camera, this lens isn't only for Macro's.
The IS will help U sometimes out of the troubles. And U can keep a bigger distance to snakes !
Again this lens isn't a cheap one, but it is a very good one.
On Youtube a very nice test... forget the camera at this moment...

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=njqTFlMiGLQ (external link)

2X Canon 1Dx, 2X Canon 5D Mark III, 2X 24-70 f2.8 II, 2X 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 2X 580EX II, L-24mm, L-35mm, L-50mm, L-85mm, A Mack truck full of Pro-Photography stuff, A bunch of Malinois to protect and serve. A Hummer to go where i want to go, to take photographs.... :lol:

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 26, 2012 16:03 |  #13

multicorn wrote in post #15046482 (external link)
ok here is a photo.

f16
iso 800
1/4000

no flash

QUOTED IMAGE

generally an improvement but the focus is not quite right on any pont of focus..!!
it is generally out of focus all over.

i have centre point focus on.

Thank you
Martin

You do not need 1/4000s exposure for a still/slow_moving snake

Take it down to the 1/250 range

Also, your aperture is too small where you're losing sharpness and resolution from diffaction. f/8 should be a good aperture number to work on.

Keep your ISO as low as possible, ideally 100 if you can.

Google "depth of field calculator" and you'll find lots of tools (also smartphone apps) that can calculate DOF for a given sensor size, aperture and subject distance.

Best of luck

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 26, 2012 16:05 as a reply to  @ 5DM2User's post |  #14

Depth of Field (or Depth of focus) is one of the big things you are going to have to learn about now that you are using an SLR. Your camera phone and many point and shoot cameras have such small sensors that DOF is almost a non-issue.

Start here:
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Depth_of_field (external link)

As above, work at 55mm and step back for now. That will help a bit. You should be able to get acceptable results with your kit lens.

Consider investing in a flash or get some better light on your subject so you can do f11 and 1/200th of a second. You shouldn't need much more than that.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

multicorn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 26, 2012 16:06 |  #15

LV Moose wrote in post #15046522 (external link)
Were you closer to 18 or 55? You should have a deeper DoF closer to the 55mm end and shooting further away.

50/50 between the two..

sponsored links

2,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
reptile picture help..!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.