Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr or Photobucket?

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2012 21:15 |  #1

It seems to me that more people like Flickr over Photobucket why is that? What's the pro's and con's for each site? Is it worth it to pay for the Flickr or Photobucket Pro-Acct? -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

sponsored links
SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 26, 2012 21:47 |  #2

Neither. Zenfolio for me.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,954 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 26, 2012 23:00 |  #3

I haven't found a true need for a Photobucket Pro account...had one for about a year, didn't renew it. Just use an ordinary account now.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 26, 2012 23:06 |  #4

I only used photobucket back when I was 15 and I needed it for myspace, it is total crap honestly. They'll erase some pictures randomly, they have a crappy image compression and bandwidth is very limited.

To host pictures I use imageshack, but to share my pictures flickr does the job. Back in the day it was purely photographers which is why it still has a strong following even with the flood of non-photography people.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 26, 2012 23:14 |  #5

maverick75 wrote in post #15048155 (external link)
I only used photobucket back when I was 15 and I needed it for myspace, it is total crap honestly. They'll erase some pictures randomly, they have a crappy image compression and bandwidth is very limited.

In 8 years I haven't seen that, but I took the time to set it up according to their prefs.

Pro-Acct?

You said "Pro", so I wonder what you want to use the site for? I use Photobucket for forum images & it works just fine.

Suggestions - a good FREE website?

How do I make a website?

My Wordpress website details

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 26, 2012 23:18 |  #6

Personally I find the interface and presentation at flickr superior to photobucket - which isn't saying much. Photobucket does a lot more with popup dialog boxes and is slower getting from one thing to the next for me. I can't say for sure if that's the case for everyone.

At the time when I chose flickr over photobucket, I was able to get more free space and the pro account cost less at flickr. I don't think that is the case any longer.

That's my two cents.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 26, 2012 23:33 |  #7

I had a pro account but found Photobucket to be slow, in a lot of cases painfully so (but I am on Oz as well) and I tried all ways of uploading but still lost a lot of the sharpness and images looked slightly lifeless. I switched to Flickr and apart from the occasional burp I have not had any issues. Every so often depending on the forum I link to the images will look soft but it is a rare thing. I would never switch back to PB now and only use my account for crap joke type shots I don't want on my Flickr photostream.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

alazgr8
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2012 23:38 |  #8

I have the free acct, but Flickr hit me up to upgrade to a "pro-Acct", so I was wondering if people are paying ($39-$44 for 2 years) to have the pro accts on Flickr or Photobucket. The pro accts allow for unlimited downloads, and storage among other features.

@ PhotosGuy, Maybe I'm reading more into your reply than you meant, but you made my simple question sound kind of sinister. -rick

[QUOTE=PhotosGuy;15048​173]You said "Pro", so I wonder what you want to use the site for? I use Photobucket for forum images & it works just fine.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 26, 2012 23:41 |  #9

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15048173 (external link)
In 8 years I haven't seen that, but I took the time to set it up according to their prefs.

I see it all the time on car forums where most people use photobucket, I never did set up the preferences which probably caused my issues. I'll pass that tip along to my friends who still use it, thanks!

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 27, 2012 08:57 |  #10

alazgr8 wrote in post #15047726 (external link)
It seems to me that more people like Flickr over Photobucket why is that? What's the pro's and con's for each site? Is it worth it to pay for the Flickr or Photobucket Pro-Acct? -rick

I use both Flickr and photobucket (free), Flickr seems to be faster and offer a better range of sizes for photo hosting

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 27, 2012 09:59 |  #11

alazgr8 wrote in post #15048259 (external link)
@ PhotosGuy, Maybe I'm reading more into your reply than you meant, but you made my simple question sound kind of sinister. -rick

Nope. If you're doing weddings for instance, or selling art prints, I'd never use PB. If it's just to show forum images, it works just fine for me.

maverick75 wrote in post #15048270 (external link)
I see it all the time on car forums where most people use photobucket, I never did set up the preferences which probably caused my issues. I'll pass that tip along to my friends who still use it, thanks!

Some people have issues with PBs resizing. From their support:

Before uploading your images to your Photobucket account, choose either a display or file size that is equal to or larger than that of your images. You can do this by clicking on the 'Uploading Options' link in your upload panel and then on the radio button next to your preferred size. If an option is grayed out, this means the option is not available for your Photobucket account type. Selecting a size larger than your images will prevent further resizing upon upload and help expedite the upload process. To make the changes permanent, you must upload at least one image from the upload panel. This is important for Pro users using FTP or anyone using the Windows XP Publisher. If you choose to use the file size options, the file size of the original image will take precedence over the the display size and any display size is accepted as long as the file size is less than your choice in the 'Uploading Options'.

If your mouse cursor becomes a (+) when you mouse over the image, then you need to access that larger image that you uploaded. I always click on the image to get the 100% size that I've uploaded, & then use that URL for display.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

twidge
44 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 28, 2012 00:14 |  #12

I like flickr. I havent used photobucket in years. Flickr's versatility as far as image resizing is very nice and convenient.

5DmkIII
600 EX-RT - PW Plus III - White Lightning Ultrazap800s
24-70 F/2.8L II - 35 F/1.4L II - 16-35 F/4L - Sigma 15 F/2.8 Fisheye - Sigma 50 1.4

SwissMissy
71 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 28, 2012 10:27 |  #13

I used photobucket back in my eBay days (2004-2007ish). It still hosts all of my old ebay P&S photos. I liked the site back then, but I was just using it to host ebay stuff.

Today, the site is a hot mess. It appears to be stuck in 2005.

I now use Flickr pro ($25/yr) to host all of my photos. I like that I can have access to original file, should something happen to my two hard drive backups. The site design is sleeker than Photobucket and I like that I can see my photo stats, organize, put stuff on a map, etc. It's easy to share with others.

I don't like Smugmug because I cannot stand white-text-on-black-background websites. Also, they are more expensive.

twidge
44 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 28, 2012 10:38 |  #14

I like how theres no noticable degradation of the images on flickr with the files they automatically resize for you. And the flickr pro acct isn't a bad deal at all.

5DmkIII
600 EX-RT - PW Plus III - White Lightning Ultrazap800s
24-70 F/2.8L II - 35 F/1.4L II - 16-35 F/4L - Sigma 15 F/2.8 Fisheye - Sigma 50 1.4

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 28, 2012 10:47 as a reply to  @ twidge's post |  #15

SmugMug.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sponsored links

4,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr or Photobucket?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.