Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-70mm F2.8 L II USM arived

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 23, 2012 14:16 |  #286

By farrrrrrr not a bust. What are you smoking?

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
maxblack
I feel like I'm in danger
2,021 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 23, 2012 16:20 |  #287

Version 1 is a stellar lens.
If version 2 is any better, anywhere...
it's still a stellar lens, only better.

Myself, I own v1, so I'm not rushing in to buy it yet.
Results with it have always been outstanding.

x.pozhr
Goldmember
4,790 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 25, 2012 18:44 as a reply to  @ maxblack's post |  #288

Got mine today. Feels very good in hands. I am not a pixel-peeper, but sharpness, colors, and contrast appear to be EXCELLENT. A definite step-up from mk1 version.

Some initial shots - all wide open. No sharpness or clarity applied in PS; only WB auto adjusted.

24mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

35mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND

50mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND

70mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND

flickr (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 25, 2012 19:50 |  #289

Mine came today...haven't taken more than a couple shots with it. For a 2,300 lens the hood feels kind of cheap. Not nearly as rigid as the 70-200 or even the 24-105. I like that its nearly identical in weight to the 24-105 though...

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 27, 2012 02:24 |  #290

I posted this on another thread but will copy it here to....

I finally got around to checking out my new Mk II this past weekend. Having the Mark I in my other hand my first impression was like comparing a chunk of heavy metal to a piece of plastic. The Mark II is definitely lighter. The Mark I appears to be more durable because of the metal housing but looking at the plastic material of the Mk II it appears to be durable and I bet it will hold up well.

I started out shooting my comparison shots at f2.8. I found the Mk II needed microjustment to put it on the same playing field as my Mk I. Overall the Mk II was very sharp. My first impression is that my Mark II is obviously much sharper than my Mk I. The separation between the two lenses at the 70mm end is a lot less than at the 24mm end. At 24mm the Mark II absolutely destroys the Mark I in image quality. Just for fun I tested my 70-200mm IS Mk II against the 24-70mm Mk II at f2.8/70mm and the 24-70mm Mk II appears to be slightly sharper.

I found the Mk II focuses much faster and has an easier time picking up my target when in servo mode vs. the Mk I. I was very impressed with the focusing speed. I also found the Mk II was sharper than my 85mm 1.2 Mk II on a tripod shooting test targets. The 24-70mm Mk II definitely can’t match the bokeh of the 85mm Mk II at f2.8 but the shots were much sharper overall. Bottom line is the Mk II is the sharpest lens in my bag. If you don’t have a Mk I, the Mk II is a must buy in my book if you have the cash. If you currently have a sharp Mk I it’s a much tougher choice. I’m not a professional but seek shots that are as sharp and clean as I can get. Because I want this perfection I don’t have regret making the Mk II purchase. If I was on a limited budget I would have to swallow hard before slapping $2,300 on the table for this purchase. In the end I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here is a link to my test pictures below if you want to look at them. They are full size jpegs that you are welcome to download and examine for yourself. When you look at these (if you do) please keep this in mind:

1. The test target pic’s were done on a tripod and shot at f2.8. You can get the exif info for each pic at the upper right corner of the pic when you mouse over it. If you look at this information the file name of each pic will identify the lens and f-stop.

2. All “pic’s with names beginning with “A”, “B” or “C” were shot on a tripod using a wireless remote. The remaining pic’s were taken off the tripod (handheld).

3. None of the pics were “processed”. They were taken in RAW format then using Lightroom 4 converted to JPEGS. I didn’t use any of the slider adjustments that are available in Lightroom so this is what you get straight out of my 5D III. Naturally the target shots have been cropped.

In closing I don’t care what has been posted prior or what comes after this post because I have now have my own opinion on the new Mk II. The debate will go on but in my book I’m very happy with my copy of the Mk II and have to say it put a smile on my face just like the 70-200 Mk II did when it arrived. To all, good luck with what you decide if you are debating this lens. Hope this helps you one way or another.

Link: http://albums.phanfare​.com/isolated/pOXIeOUp​/1/5761802 (external link)

If you pick on the center of the first photo in this series it will take you to "full screen " mode so you can see the pics better if you don't want to download.....

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 27, 2012 04:13 |  #291

Mine is certainly sharper @24mm than my TSE 24 f/3.5, not sure stopped down.
But I believe my 70-200 II is slightly sharper @70mm f/2.8, hard to pick though, but due to the shorted subject distance, I feel the 24-70 II is the better option.

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 27, 2012 05:51 |  #292

DamianOz wrote in post #15048755 (external link)
......But I believe my 70-200 II is slightly sharper @24mm f/2.8.......

Thats a good trick!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 27, 2012 05:53 |  #293

lol, thanks, edited

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 27, 2012 05:54 |  #294

Sorry, only teazing you.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2012 13:35 |  #295

Kronie wrote in post #15042601 (external link)
Mine came today...haven't taken more than a couple shots with it. For a 2,300 lens the hood feels kind of cheap. Not nearly as rigid as the 70-200 or even the 24-105. I like that its nearly identical in weight to the 24-105 though...

Wow, where is everyone finding them? I need one very soon.

tanneu
200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2012 13:37 |  #296

wombatHorror wrote in post #15050501 (external link)

In Stock right now! http://www.pcnation.co​m …y/details.asp?i​tem=3C518P (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 27, 2012 17:03 |  #297

PC nation was very painless to order from... I recommend them!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 27, 2012 17:22 |  #298

wombatHorror wrote in post #15050501 (external link)

B&H finally shipped mine. I have to wait until Monday, but they are moving through their backorder list...

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

swldstn
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 27, 2012 18:54 |  #299

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15051337 (external link)
B&H finally shipped mine. I have to wait until Monday, but they are moving through their backorder list...

Same here. Got my notice of shipping from B & H today. Will be here on Monday. By the way I pre-ordered on April 25th for those waiting. Will compare to my 24L, 35L, and 70-200mm f/2.8L II when it arrives. Not real happy with my 50L right now.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2012 23:15 |  #300

Invertalon wrote in post #15051265 (external link)
PC nation was very painless to order from... I recommend them!

Ahh not painless for me. They messed up my order. I should have called directly instead of web ordered. Apparently they needed to call me to verify my CC for my first big time purchase with them (after having clicked their fraud prevention email and gotten a pass that said all was I good I thought all was good but it wasn't, they needed to call too apparently) and they apparently put my order aside while waiting to call me to verify my CC and instead of reserving my copy while waiting to get around to call me, they continued selling them until they were all gone leaving me with backordered status in the end despite my original order having claimed in stock, having been done with very fast shipping selected and been given a promised arrival date :mad:. Pretty crappy. If you order something in stock with overnight shipping you expect them to keep it in reserve while they are waiting to verify your CC personally not sell them out from under you. I had to cancel and go with Kenmore camera, but by that time, when I realized PC Nation had actually messed up my order, I had to use a much more expensive shipping since I missed the Kenmore deadline for the day. Kenmore seemed very nice. At least they got the job done it would seem. :D

Moral always call and order in person never use a website if time is of the essence, you never know what screwy goings on or policy will catch you up if you use web ordering.

sponsored links

123,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-70mm F2.8 L II USM arived
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.