Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding shots my first attempt

platforminc
73 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 27, 2012 09:07 |  #1

Hi All,

A relative of mine is getting married very soon and although a professional photographer has been hired, I thought I will use my camera as well just to take the odd shots.

I have a Canon 500D with the following lens:

Canon kit lens
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens
Canon 430ex Flash

The first part of the wedding will be in a hall with very high ceiling and the second part of the wedding even has a higher ceiling, a hall with ceiling as high as that of a cinema.

What I want to ask is as follows:

• Out of my 3 lens, which is the best one to use. I dont want to have to change frequently.
  • Will external flash still be required.
  • Any other tips and tricks.
  • Kind of aperture setting to use
  • Full manual/aperture mode or shutter speed mode ?

Thanks in advance.

Camera: Canon 500D, f1.8 50mm, kit lens, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC, 430EX flash, Remote control,Tripod, Cleaning kit.

sponsored links
cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2012 09:28 |  #2

My suggestion is to stay out of the way of the photographer they hired. You don't know if they'll have an attitude and cause issues. That said, use the 50mm 1.8 since it's your fastest lens, then you won't require flash. Maybe use that for the first part of the wedding. Use the Tamron and flash for the second part of the wedding.

I always shoot on full manual, don't use Av or Tv.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

erikfig
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 27, 2012 10:00 |  #3

cabinajm wrote in post #15049482 (external link)
My suggestion is to stay out of the way of the photographer they hired. You don't know if they'll have an attitude and cause issues. .

Agreed!

Low Light in Situations Always shoot in Manual for consistency on your shots.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

platforminc
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 27, 2012 10:16 |  #4

erikfig wrote in post #15049588 (external link)
Agreed!

Low Light in Situations Always shoot in Manual for consistency on your shots.

Definitely will stay out of the way of the pro photographer, also with the 50mm 1.8 I find that its only useful for portraits which is what its for, and most of the time people want to take photos as a group, which means for the 1.8 you have to go really far back to capture any shots.

Do you still suggest shooting in only manual, and the lens can do 2.8 all the way through, any advantage in doing this or perhaps move up to 3.2 or 4. The hall is very well lit and the lighting can be increased/decreased, I always struggle with shutter speed especially when people are not steady/still.

Camera: Canon 500D, f1.8 50mm, kit lens, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC, 430EX flash, Remote control,Tripod, Cleaning kit.

erikfig
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 27, 2012 10:23 |  #5

platforminc wrote in post #15049678 (external link)
Definitely will stay out of the way of the pro photographer, also with the 50mm 1.8 I find that its only useful for portraits which is what its for, and most of the time people want to take photos as a group, which means for the 1.8 you have to go really far back to capture any shots.

Do you still suggest shooting in only manual, and the lens can do 2.8 all the way through, any advantage in doing this or perhaps move up to 3.2 or 4. The hall is very well lit and the lighting can be increased/decreased, I always struggle with shutter speed especially when people are not steady/still.

It depends. If the light is good, you can use AV if you feel more comfortable. If they are back-lit, you need to use manual mode, otherwise you will end up with a silhouette. Just make sure that your shutter speed, is at least 125 or so, if it gets to low, increase your ISO. Also I would recommend to use spot metering.

Use the 17-50 for the group shots at F-4 or so everybody can be in focus. Hope that helps! :D

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2012 14:46 |  #6

Depends on the size of the group and the posing really. I wouldn't go under 5.6, maybe even keep it at 8 to ensure everyone is in focus. I would also use a flash for the group shot, unless you're pumping up your ISO.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

platforminc
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 27, 2012 18:16 |  #7

erikfig wrote in post #15049708 (external link)
It depends. If the light is good, you can use AV if you feel more comfortable. If they are back-lit, you need to use manual mode, otherwise you will end up with a silhouette. Just make sure that your shutter speed, is at least 125 or so, if it gets to low, increase your ISO. Also I would recommend to use spot metering.

Use the 17-50 for the group shots at F-4 or so everybody can be in focus. Hope that helps! :D

Thanks all for the tips, when you say back lit. I dont understand. please expand more as I want to be sure i understand what you mean here.

mmb
117 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 28, 2012 10:10 |  #8

When the light is behind them, they are back lit. If you expose for the light, you get underexposed faces, like a silhouette.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 28, 2012 22:52 |  #9

platforminc wrote in post #15049415 (external link)
Hi All,

A relative of mine is getting married very soon and although a professional photographer has been hired, I thought I will use my camera as well just to take the odd shots.

I have a Canon 500D with the following lens:

Canon kit lens
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens
Canon 430ex Flash

The first part of the wedding will be in a hall with very high ceiling and the second part of the wedding even has a higher ceiling, a hall with ceiling as high as that of a cinema.

What I want to ask is as follows:
  • Out of my 3 lens, which is the best one to use. I dont want to have to change frequently.
  • Will external flash still be required.
  • Any other tips and tricks.
  • Kind of aperture setting to use
  • Full manual/aperture mode or shutter speed mode ?

Thanks in advance.

Yup, stay out the way!

I'd stick with the 17-50. External flash would be useful for fill outdoors and for low light receptions.

Aperture setting to use depends on the situation and the look you are going for. For groups shots, you might want to stop down especially if you have multiple rows of people. It also depends on the lens used and distance to the group. I usually stick with f4-f5.6. Again, it depends. If I need more DOF, I would obviously stop down more.

Again, M vs Av depends on the situation and your comfort level. If the light isn't changing all that much, M will give you more consistent exposures. If the lighting is changing quickly then Av will get you somewhere in the ballpark. You might have to ride the EC dial to compensate. Indoors when using flash, use M mode.

platforminc
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 29, 2012 02:20 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #10

Thanks guys, started with the first part yesterday. I must admit I struggled a little bit, probably because I have not taken shots for over 2 months now. Indoors using AV n external flash, if I turn aperture to 4 or 5.6 then my shutter speed was then going to like 2 secs which wasn't right, the best I could get was 1/25 or so but that waa f2.8 and iso 800 with tungsten balance setting, spot metering.

I just couldn't get it right, it was me beign called to take shots at short notice with no time to practice anything. I had to stick to f2.8 and iso 800 as 1600 might be a bit too noisy I thought, this was for mainly groups of 2-3.

I have the main wedding today better lighting in this hall indoors. do you guys suggest I go manual alll the way. Sometimes I have to give the camera to novice users and having to change settings can be tricky atimes for novice users.

Thanks in advance

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 29, 2012 17:32 |  #11

You need to bump you ISO, you have no choice, just try to fix it in pp, Noise Ninja is great for this, I dont know if you have it, or just use PS or Lightroom

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

platforminc
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 01, 2012 17:27 |  #12

Thanks everyone, one thing i noticed in AV mode, when selecting f stop or 4 or higher, shutter speed then went up to 2-5 seconds which was way too much and in order to get it to 1/25 ISO had to be at 3200 which although I never tried, but just felt was going to be too much.

Another slight problem, with an external flash and shooting in somewhere with good lighting and very high ceiling, I turned the flash up in a 12 o clock position with the flash difuser and took some shots, the quality was worse compared to when I didnt use any flash at all.

I know how to bounce flash off ceiling very well but problem seems to be when the ceiling is really high and nothing to bounce it off, also when do you need to point flash direct at subject, it that for fill flash in the sun outdoors to have a soft effect ?

Thanks in advance.

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 03, 2012 16:24 |  #13

If you have nothing to bounce off of or you need all the power you can get you use direct flash. you may use a softbox, umbrella or any number of light modifiers to increase the apparent size of the light and create a softer light.
If the ceiling is too high to effectively bounce the light off of you can bounce it off of a wall, a person, a card or any other kind of modifier.
The key is to make the light bigger. Sometimes there is not much you can do.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

platforminc
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 05, 2012 14:53 as a reply to  @ Jimconnerphoto's post |  #14

Thanks for the tip, do you know any portable and inexpensive stuff I can put in my camera bag, umbrella is too big to carry around. Any ideas please. Thanks

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 08, 2012 17:37 |  #15

I use umbrella style soft boxes(Westcott Apollo Softbox), umbrellas, a card (Dembe Flip-it Flash Card) and sometimes a piece of foam(search for bigger better bounce card here on POTN,) wrapped around the flash head.
I find they are not that cumbersome. biggest issue I have is the wind blowing them over. Happens a lot.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding shots my first attempt
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.