Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 17:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3: iFCL sensor and evaluative metering questions

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 27, 2012 17:49 |  #1

(This topic also applies to the 7D and any other EOS with the iFCL sensor)

I tend to shoot a lot of low-light action. They are challenging conditions, so I'm trying to figure out the best settings for my camera to get the most keepers. For this thread, I'm limiting the discussion to the metering system.

A little background on the iFCL metering sensor of the 5D3
http://cpn.canon-europe.com …settings/iFCL_m​etering.do (external link)

Question 1: does this only apply when "Evaluative metering" is used (as opposed to Spot, Partial, and Average metering)? In other words, if I'm using Spot, Partial, or Average metering mode, is the iFCL sensor is completely irrelevant?

Question 2: It would seem to make sense that Evaluative metering mode is more complex than the others, hence, would using Evaluative metering potentially slow down my burst rate (say under difficult low light conditions)?

On the other hand, (question 3) would using Evaluative metering (and taking advantage of the iFCL sensor) result in more in-focus shots when I'm shooting fast, erratic subjects in low light? So would this be a trade off of continuous burst rate vs focus-accuracy? I mention this because the 5D3's overall AF system does incorporate the exposure system.

Does anyone have any real world experience regarding this? Any insight would be much appreciated

trale
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 27, 2012 22:47 |  #2

anybody?

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 28, 2012 01:17 |  #3

I'm probably wrong- but I'll give my two-cents.
1. Guess; I'd guess that it uses the appropriate part of the sensor to gauge the exposure.
2. Guess: Nope.. Dedicated processor and optimized coding- should be able to chew thru that data quickly and come up with a decision..
3. Nope.. It's for determining exposure- not focusing the lens.. According to your link- it's part kicks in after the focus has been determined- thus - it's done focusing and is in the process of determining exposure.. Of course, you could be using BBF- but reality- it's not the AF system.. Different piece.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,288 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 28, 2012 01:58 as a reply to  @ wayne.robbins's post |  #4

1. The clever algorithm which detects areas of interest in the image by checking what's in, or nearly in, focus applies to evaluative metering only.
The correction for color's impact on readings applies to all modes.

2. To take one example, a 7D has four CPUs on-board, one or two in the lens and may have a couple more in various accessories. There's enough distributed computing power to fix the evaluative metering on the fly. The only case where it slows down, but that applies to all modes (for some funny reason - it shouldn't really have to), is when it's very dark. Since exposure metering also implies focusing, and with all points, focusing has to be accomplished before metering. In low light focusing takes more time.
The 1DX has an even more complex metering system, the iTR, but then has a dedicated processor to do the work for that one.

3. Since it's focusing before metering, no.

Anders

trale
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2012 12:15 |  #5

Thanks, that makes sense now... it'd be pretty silly to have a sensor that's not being used for 3 of the 4 metering modes.

And as for metering comes after focusing, I guess what threw me off was something I read a while about about the AF system being tied to the metering, here let me find it (by Chuck Westfall):

http://www.arihazeghip​hotography.com/AH_CW_i​nterview/ (external link)

CW: The AF sensor and AI Servo III tracking algorithms are identical for both cameras. However, the EOS 5D Mark III uses a 63-zone Dual Layer iFCL sensor for exposure metering whereas the EOS-1D X uses an approximately 100,000 pixel RGB sensor powered by a DIGIC 4 processor for exposure metering. As a result, the EOS-1D X supports EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) that can apply face and color detection data from the 100,000 pixel sensor for improved subject tracking when the camera is set for automatic focusing point selection.

When I first read this, I thought Canon's metering system helps with AF-tracking. Now that I've re-read it, I guess this ONLY is true for the 1DX and its RGB sensor?

So the 5D3's iFCL sensor doesn't help with AF or tracking in any way?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,401 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3: iFCL sensor and evaluative metering questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.