Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 08:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this usable?

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2012 08:57 |  #1

I know that Tasco has a not so stellar (pun intended) reputation, but I can get a 500x114mm Galaxsee Reflector Telescope (magnification 500x, focal length 1000mm ) for about $20. It has an EQ1 mount. I know nothing about telescopes and the like, but was hoping someone could tell me if I can mount a camera (350D) to it with an adapter, and if it would even be worth it.

Looking to mostly do the moon and maybe some planets. If I'm successful and enjoy it, I'll save up for a Hubble for the deep space stuff. ;)

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2012 09:06 |  #2

My other option is to get the Rokinon/Samyang 650-1300mm, which may be more versatile in the end.

Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 26, 2012 09:27 |  #3

I would say no. There is much better option on the market for a just a little more money. You will get frustrated and gave up.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2012 10:43 |  #4

Ok. What do I look for in a telescope then? I really have no clue....

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 26, 2012 10:48 |  #5

KirkS518 wrote in post #15045177 (external link)
Ok. What do I look for in a telescope then? I really have no clue....

This is my recommendation :
http://www.telescope.c​om …ts?refineByCate​goryId=398 (external link)

Easy to setup. Easy to use. 6" aperture.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2012 13:02 as a reply to  @ fogboundturtle's post |  #6

Per suggestion of the 6" Orion Dobsonian Tellescope:

While Lunar photography could be achieved using this telescope it would likely require replacement of the focuser to achieve focus with a DSLR. The factory focusers on most Newtonians are designed for visual and don't provide enough travel to achieve focus with a mounted camera. There are low profile focusers available on the market but I wouldn't invest in a focuser that would be more expensive than the scope itself. Stability of the Dobsonian mount with the added weight of a camera might also present some difficulty.

If you could please give us a budget number to help us give recommendations. You may want to visit Cloudy Nights and browse their classifieds, there may be a used refractor there that might be affordable and meet your needs.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 26, 2012 13:18 |  #7

my recommendation was for visual only.

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2012 15:11 |  #8

Thanks nighthound. In all actuality, the budget for this is $0, simply because I wasn't planning on this. The telescope I first mentioned just kind of fell into my lap, and although I had never really thought about astrophotography, I thought maybe I could get my feet wet with it. I don't think a less expensive telescope will really come my way, and may just end up getting it to use as... a telescope. :) I just was hoping I'd be able to use it with the camera as well.

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2012 15:39 |  #9

Well then I'd say give it a try for visual use. You would have the same issue with it however for mounting a camera to the focuser on that scope, it'll be a mismatch for your 350D.

The Rokinon/Samyang 650-1300mm looks like it would work for Lunar but you'd need a good solid tripod/head to hold it and your camera. I have no idea the quality of the glass as far as sharpness/contrast and false color but for $300 I wouldn't expect too terribly much.

Steve

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2012 21:18 |  #10

Nighthound wrote in post #15046453 (external link)
Well then I'd say give it a try for visual use. You would have the same issue with it however for mounting a camera to the focuser on that scope, it'll be a mismatch for your 350D.

The Rokinon/Samyang 650-1300mm looks like it would work for Lunar but you'd need a good solid tripod/head to hold it and your camera. I have no idea the quality of the glass as far as sharpness/contrast and false color but for $300 I wouldn't expect too terribly much.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't be expecting L quality, but the sample images I've seen here on POTN and elsewhere look better than I would have thought. I always thought of Rokinon and Samyang to be in the category of the old Spiratone stuff, but I was surprised by what I saw.

Back to telescopes....

Would this be a better option - Meade ETX-90EC 90mm Catadioptric Telescope? (started looking at scopes on CL tonight. I'm gonna be in trouble!)

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 27, 2012 09:29 |  #11

KirkS518 wrote in post #15047737 (external link)
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't be expecting L quality, but the sample images I've seen here on POTN and elsewhere look better than I would have thought. I always thought of Rokinon and Samyang to be in the category of the old Spiratone stuff, but I was surprised by what I saw.

Back to telescopes....

Would this be a better option - Meade ETX-90EC 90mm Catadioptric Telescope? (started looking at scopes on CL tonight. I'm gonna be in trouble!)

you want a wide refractor like an 80ED. Cat are slow scope (F10) and they requires longer expsure and better tracking. Not the best choice. Its also sitting on a ALT-AZ mount. You want an EQ.

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 27, 2012 10:42 as a reply to  @ fogboundturtle's post |  #12

KirkS518 wrote in post #15047737 (external link)

For Lunar and planetary work the ETX-90 would be decent. The 1250mm focal length will help greatly with scale. CATs are slow and not good candidates for long exposure work but for the short exposures required for your needs(Lunar and planetary), it's not a deal breaker. Be aware though that mounting a DSLR to the rear of this scope will make shooting your targets high in the sky impossible, there's no clearance between the scope and mount so it can't be aimed to extreme vertical. You would also want to give any enclosed design optical tube time to equalize with the outside temperature so that internal currents don't distort the light path. It wouldn't be terribly long with a 90EC.

A friend had one of these and it was a very good visual scope. The mount is not the greatest quality which is another reason long exposures would be difficult with this one. I would research the hardware needed for your camera and look for samples of images online to help with your decision.

Steve

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 28, 2012 20:02 as a reply to  @ Nighthound's post |  #13

Nighthound is correct.
Type of scope and its mount are quite important.
Dobsonian type mounts are really not a good choice for astro work unless all you plan on doing is short lunar or planetary work.
They, for the most part, do not track, and you may have balance issues.
You might consider saving up, and purchasing a tracking set-up in the 300-400 dollar range, use your current camera and lens, and see how you like it.
If you enjoy the results you get, then consider moving to something a bit more involved.
There is a lot to learn, take your time.

sponsored links

2,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this usable?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.