Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 22 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do I need in a good computer for video?

birder_herper
762 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 22, 2012 19:31 |  #1

I have a 7D and took a sample video yesterday in 720p (I knew 1080p would be too much for my computer!). I'm actually using a fairly old Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop which is maxed out at 2GB RAM. Viewing my video back in .mov format in QuickTime was PAINFUL! Soooo choppy.

What would I need in a new computer? I'd plan on getting a desktop; my laptop is fine for travel and isn't worth anything to sell. So a desktop makes more sense. Plus, better for photo editing, etc.

How much RAM? What other features would I need to view and EDIT videos?

sponsored links
John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 22, 2012 19:50 |  #2

When buying computers get the best spec you can afford. An i7 with 8 GB of ram would be nice and a reputable video card (Nvidia) with at least 1 Gb on board should make short work of most things. A fast hard drive is also a benefit.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

wineguy97
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 22, 2012 20:38 as a reply to  @ John Sims's post |  #3

Buy as much ram as possible. It makes more difference than anything. I use 32gb to edit on Premiere cs6 and when I use After Effects as well it easily uses 1/2 that ram for a big project.

An SSD to run your OS and main programs is also very effective. At current prices there is no reason to not have one as your main drive and a 7200rpm drive for video storage. 128gb ssd should be the minimum, get a 256gb if you can afford it.

An intel i7 chip will help speed up transcoding and rendering.

Adobe CS5 and CS6 uses modern video cards to speed up various tasks. Check out Adobe's site for compatibility, though hacks are available to get non-listed cards to work, rule of thumb is to get nVidia.

Most other stuff won't make much difference, but a USB 3.0 card reader is nice to have.

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 22, 2012 22:30 |  #4

for a bit of savings you could always look at getting;
AMD 8-Core FX-8150 CPU instead of Core i5/i7
good MoBo
AT LEAST 16Gb RAM
a 10k RPM HDD for OS/SW vs SSD
..I use the WD Velociraptor 450Gb, was ~$100..way more room than an SSD for the $, and still very fast..

I built my own processing/editing desktop using these parts above...everything I used was highly rated on Newegg or Amazon(everything was purchased through these companies, great prices and rep).
I am able to run 1080p all day long and never have choppy ANYthing. my brand new ($800) core i5 laptop cannot even touch it. And I built this desktop for ~$800...
It is brilliant. I am very happy with it.

in case you want actual parts/numbers to compare..(some may be outdated as this is about 4-5 months old..which is ancient in tech time lol)
MoBo link (external link)
RAM (x2 if needed) link (external link)
AMD FX-8120(the one I have, but is slightly lower model than the new 8150, or whatever has replaced it since..) link (external link)
Tower(this tower is SERIOUS...honestly, I have never seen this high of quality in anything in this price range..imho-brilliant!) link (external link)
PS link (external link)
GPU (now discontinued) link (external link)

Honestly, these are worth EVERY penny too...keeps this MASSIVE "heater" of a PC running cool. I have three and when at LESS than 50%, it sounds like a jet is in my office...my wife freaks out all the time when she hears it...even months later lol
link (external link)
Goes perfect with this, and this also fits the tower above PERFECTLY, like it was made for it ;)
link (external link)

Add it up, it is right ~$800...
no monitor..had those already..along with OS and SW..and a couple HDDs..so the price will go up if you need these..even if you need to purchase everything, to do it 'right', I think this would be the minimal for an 'on the cheap' route...if you want Intel i7,etc expect to pay a bit more.
FWIW, from my experience the AMD 8-core is as fast, or slightly faster, than the quad-core i7..

Also, I would highly recommend dual monitors...of ~21-24" each..it really helps when editing video..
I have a 23" and a 15" and will be replacing the 15" with another 23" of the same make(Samsung) as soon as the wife lets me :cool:

This combo of equipment simply amazes me how high quality, and how reliable it has been(knock on wood!)
I have a very good friend that builds and fixes PCs for a living, he recommended some of these items, I am VERY glad I listened to him..

All of this is IMHO and AFAIK and YMMV lol ;)

Good luck!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 22, 2012 22:32 |  #5

as others have said, ram, ram, ram. As much as you can get. Fast drives. 7200 or 10k if you dont mind the sound of some of them.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

J ­ Michael
972 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 23, 2012 09:44 |  #6

Review the requirements published by your NLE vendor. Graphics card requirements may vary, e.g. some software may utilize the GPU onboard processing capabilities whereas another may depend more on the CPU. Most editors keep the data on external drives so look at options that maximize performance and throughput on your external drive subsystem.

J_O_S_H_U_A
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 27, 2012 10:10 as a reply to  @ J Michael's post |  #7

Many professinals rely on apple based systems for a more "one time purchase" type of deal. You wont really have many upgrade options down the raod with say, an iMac, but they work great for folks that are not too interested in all the customization and upgrades.

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 28, 2012 07:14 |  #8

processor and ram is the most crucial for encoding.

you are going to want fast HDD at least 7200rpm honestly getting a 10,000 rpm HDD is overkill unless time is an extreme issue

for $800 i just upgraded to a i7-3770, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, middle of the road motherboard, with a case and dvd drive. already owned a video card and monitor.

my new computer renders/encodes lightning fast assuming i dont pile up adjustment layers too much. but an i7 processor handles video extremely well

i highly suggest looking at the deals that microcenter has every month. i got my parts there and the deals are pretty incredible

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 28, 2012 14:48 |  #9

All you need is a MacBook pro!

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 29, 2012 01:22 |  #10

pkilla wrote in post #15054947 (external link)
All you need is a MacBook pro!

not too sound like a fanboy, but my '11 i7 mbp with a 256gb SSD and 750GB HD for storage is more than enough for me to run premiere cs6 and after-effects without a hitch.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2012 04:39 |  #11

And another Mac vs PC thread is born.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 29, 2012 10:39 |  #12

Kento wrote in post #15057038 (external link)
And another Mac vs PC thread is born.

I hope not. I just wanted to let the OP know what kind of specs he should look for in a cpu.
I will say a SSD is a must not matter what system you go with.
BTW, I use both systems for my business.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 02, 2012 10:46 |  #13

Mac with fat i7 and 8-12gb ram

sponsored links

3,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do I need in a good computer for video?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.