Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 26, 2012 16:13 |  #4411

PC synch is a basic fire the flash message.

Full on cable from the hot shoe can do ettl.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,928 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 26, 2012 16:22 |  #4412

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15046563 (external link)
I was browsing the show us your camera thread last night and I saw a photo (which I can't find now) with a flash that was attached to the camera but still had a cable coming out of it in to the camera. And I was thinking hmmm why?

Just to get the light away from the camera. I do it differently, check out the photo of my camera set up for off camera lighting on this thread.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,806 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 27, 2012 02:57 |  #4413

tim wrote in post #15046670 (external link)
Just to get the light away from the camera. I do it differently, check out the photo of my camera set up for off camera lighting on this thread.

so if I am looking at that right your using the PC sync to fire off other flashes?

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

tim
Light Bringer
50,928 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 27, 2012 03:47 |  #4414

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15048660 (external link)
so if I am looking at that right your using the PC sync to fire off other flashes?

Yes. Everything's in manual, the camera and the flashes, for consistency and to make processing easier.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 27, 2012 15:18 |  #4415

tim wrote in post #15042239 (external link)
At InFocus a MasterClass photographer (Peter Coulson) was using a Hasselblad. The detail was just amazing, a DSLR just isn't in the same league. He said he only ever uses it at ISO100 though, above that it's too noisy for him - but he's a super high end photographer.

Pretty common. I think the fact he's a super high end photographer will have little to do with his choice of ISO 100 only, you or I probably wouldn't want 400... Seems to me so many of these medium format cameras are built with the market in mind; if you need to use one, basically tripod only, then you'll have no issues with ISO 100. They're really only for portraits, studios or commercial work where you'll almost always be making your own light or using a tripod. Landscape photographers using them would often fall into the same basket.

Few images I've been working with from the testing phases off our Phase One IQ180 at work are the same. Jaw dropping detail (but not that much more MP than the D800s we have too remember) but they work well in that narrow window.

Potisdad wrote in post #15043479 (external link)
If Canon release a 46mp FF camera with no improvement in DR, I am buying a D800...

I wouldn't be so quick off the mark on that. I've shot quite a bit now with the D800s at work, and a lot of time with their equivalent of my fave setup, using the 35mm f/1.4. I've got my head round how to tune into operating it much more so I'm getting the shots I like now, and there's no arguing the sheer scale from the images. 7300px on the long edge rocks when you're doing large work. :)

What I don't like though are two things: 1) You inevitably end up looking at the images while you're working with them up close, admittedly something which you may not do with the end image, and irrelevant if you start downsizing the shots. However, when you're working with the files up close, they're just plain noisier than I'd expect or like. Remembering of course when at 100% you're not as 'zoomed in' as with a 5D (whatever version) the images from the 5D3 and arguably the 5D2 are just cleaner. Noticeably. And below about ISO 640 say, the 100% view off the 5DC is as clean too. 2) The way it sees colours and tones etc is just plain different too, and I frankly don't like it, my eye prefers what the Canons see when they shoot. This I think for me with one would be the biggest and longest learning curve, learning to see like the Nikon sees and/or learning to know what to shoot like knowing how I can play to its strengths through the PP stage.

I had both the D800 and 35mm f/1.4 and the 5D3 and the 35L with me taking snaps at low light time on low tide at the beach last weekend. Shooting the same stuff, but the only images I got the 'wow' out of were the 5D3, the D800 just looked flat.

Totally subjective obviously, bu my 2cents.

Potisdad wrote in post #15041291 (external link)
That's a pretty crap review for someone who has used so many different cameras :D

Name the top three things you like about it...

1) Build - feels and most importantly sounds like it's not made of recycled yoghurt pots like the 5D2.

2) IQ - Noone ever denied the images the 5D2 delivered, it was always a camera about the sensor. 5D3 builds on that, not in MP but in refinement, it does the same stuff but better, but now has the camera body around it to match.

3) Operation & Ergonomics - I hate all the extra buttons and features new cameras have, give me a shutter and aperture control and a button to fire it. Despite this, handling and working the 5D3 is actually a joy, it's a complete camera, not a posh sensor in a nasty box. It's also marginally bigger than the other 5Ds and means you can legitimately use it without battery grip and it feel awesome to handle and hold. I'm actually torn as to whether to even bother buying one which is something I never thought I'd say...

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,806 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 27, 2012 15:28 |  #4416

manipula wrote in post #15050919 (external link)
I had both the D800 and 35mm f/1.4 and the 5D3 and the 35L with me taking snaps at low light time on low tide at the beach last weekend. Shooting the same stuff, but the only images I got the 'wow' out of were the 5D3, the D800 just looked flat.

If you load the D800 files in to photoshop/lightroom or whatever are you able to make them "pop"

I do believe tho one should try and get it as much in the camera as possible rather than rely on editing to save a picture.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

tim
Light Bringer
50,928 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 27, 2012 15:40 |  #4417

manipula wrote in post #15050919 (external link)
Pretty common. I think the fact he's a super high end photographer will have little to do with his choice of ISO 100 only, you or I probably wouldn't want 400... Seems to me so many of these medium format cameras are built with the market in mind; if you need to use one, basically tripod only, then you'll have no issues with ISO 100. They're really only for portraits, studios or commercial work where you'll almost always be making your own light or using a tripod. Landscape photographers using them would often fall into the same basket.

Few images I've been working with from the testing phases off our Phase One IQ180 at work are the same. Jaw dropping detail (but not that much more MP than the D800s we have too remember) but they work well in that narrow window.

I wouldn't be so quick off the mark on that. I've shot quite a bit now with the D800s at work, and a lot of time with their equivalent of my fave setup, using the 35mm f/1.4. I've got my head round how to tune into operating it much more so I'm getting the shots I like now, and there's no arguing the sheer scale from the images. 7300px on the long edge rocks when you're doing large work. :)

What I don't like though are two things: 1) You inevitably end up looking at the images while you're working with them up close, admittedly something which you may not do with the end image, and irrelevant if you start downsizing the shots. However, when you're working with the files up close, they're just plain noisier than I'd expect or like. Remembering of course when at 100% you're not as 'zoomed in' as with a 5D (whatever version) the images from the 5D3 and arguably the 5D2 are just cleaner. Noticeably. And below about ISO 640 say, the 100% view off the 5DC is as clean too. 2) The way it sees colours and tones etc is just plain different too, and I frankly don't like it, my eye prefers what the Canons see when they shoot. This I think for me with one would be the biggest and longest learning curve, learning to see like the Nikon sees and/or learning to know what to shoot like knowing how I can play to its strengths through the PP stage.

Totally subjective obviously, bu my 2cents.

1) Build - feels and most importantly sounds like it's not made of recycled yoghurt pots like the 5D2.

2) IQ - Noone ever denied the images the 5D2 delivered, it was always a camera about the sensor. 5D3 builds on that, not in MP but in refinement, it does the same stuff but better, but now has the camera body around it to match.

3) Operation & Ergonomics - I hate all the extra buttons and features new cameras have, give me a shutter and aperture control and a button to fire it. Despite this, handling and working the 5D3 is actually a joy, it's a complete camera, not a posh sensor in a nasty box. It's also marginally bigger than the other 5Ds and means you can legitimately use it without battery grip and it feel awesome to handle and hold. I'm actually torn as to whether to even bother buying one which is something I never thought I'd say...

Are you using the latest Nikon presets Dave? They make a difference. LR has them, CS4 Bridge didn't but I think CS6 bridge does.

Peter uses the hassie hand held, but using studio lights that makes no difference really.

Potisdad
664 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 29, 2012 18:49 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #4418

Thanks for the detailed response Dave, I really value your insight.
Frankly I care little about build quality and ergonomics. When the camera is bolted to a tripod and fired by remote there is little difference between shooting my 5D and my old Rebel.
I would expect the Nikon with 60% resolution to look noisier at individual pixel level, so your noise findings are not surprising. I agree that most of the D800 samples I have seen do appear flat though.
To be honest though, we are now at the point where resolution and image quality are so high right across the board that I will probably buy my next camera solely on price. Maybe a 6D is for me? :)

David

forsaken
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 29, 2012 23:45 |  #4419

been away from the camera a bit recently prepping car for paint and still not having the camera serviced.

But today I had a good reason to drag it out and snap some "happy snaps"

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

*Simon* gear list | devolution photography (external link)
"No amount of clever technology takes a great shot, great shots are taken by people" - one day I may be able to take some :) -

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 30, 2012 05:02 |  #4420

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15050946 (external link)
If you load the D800 files in to photoshop/lightroom or whatever are you able to make them "pop"

I do believe tho one should try and get it as much in the camera as possible rather than rely on editing to save a picture.

You can make anything pop with some basic PP, but yeah they do respond. What I haven't figured out yet is if they're better files (if there is such a thing) as a base blank canvas for extensive PP work. I always used to say to people when I was selling the things that if you wanted an SLR to just snap JPEGs and print them from a mini-lab, buy a Nikon, they just looked nice out of the camera, but if you wanted to do some PP work, the Canon's were a better bet as they were a more sound base point to start from. That was in relation to the entry level stuff about 2-3yrs ago.

I haven't figured out yet if the same deal is going on with the D800 and the 5D3, simply as I've been working like a fool and haven't had enough time sat working with the files yet. Building a healthy backlog of images to work through! ;)

tim wrote in post #15050995 (external link)
Are you using the latest Nikon presets Dave? They make a difference. LR has them, CS4 Bridge didn't but I think CS6 bridge does.

That's a good question. I believe probably the older ones, however the works machine just got swapped onto CS6 though when I tried to do the ACR updates it fell over and then I got sidetracked onto other things. Will give it a shot cheers. :)

Potisdad wrote in post #15058953 (external link)
Thanks for the detailed response Dave, I really value your insight.
Frankly I care little about build quality and ergonomics. When the camera is bolted to a tripod and fired by remote there is little difference between shooting my 5D and my old Rebel.
I would expect the Nikon with 60% resolution to look noisier at individual pixel level, so your noise findings are not surprising. I agree that most of the D800 samples I have seen do appear flat though.
To be honest though, we are now at the point where resolution and image quality are so high right across the board that I will probably buy my next camera solely on price. Maybe a 6D is for me? :)

That Sir, is one of the most sensible things I've heard spoken on here in ages... ;)

It's interesting as late last week I shot some *things* that were being sent off to that last bastion of US law and order, the eff-bee-eye. (No I'm not joking.) The D800 files when used with the Orbis gave me some macro shots which literally didn't need touching, so who knows. Maybe there's a sweet spot in there, but on that one job, the camera sang. :/

forsaken wrote in post #15059647 (external link)
been away from the camera a bit recently prepping car for paint and still not having the camera serviced.

About bloody time we saw that thing finished! ;)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

tim
Light Bringer
50,928 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 30, 2012 13:48 |  #4421

When I said presets, I meant camera profiles.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 30, 2012 14:14 |  #4422

forsaken wrote in post #15059647 (external link)

So.. what colour are you going to get it painted?

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

forsaken
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 30, 2012 15:01 |  #4423

akiwi wrote in post #15061560 (external link)
So.. what colour are you going to get it painted?

Hot pink :-)
No, that is it painted, ford sonic blue

*Simon* gear list | devolution photography (external link)
"No amount of clever technology takes a great shot, great shots are taken by people" - one day I may be able to take some :) -

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 01, 2012 01:19 |  #4424

Just joking;)
Looks great

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,540 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 01, 2012 02:25 |  #4425

did no-one else go to Ardmore to spot the Mosquito flying on Saturday?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

848,346 views & 638 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.