Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 26 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

YouTube – Is this a problem?

TsPhotoSpot
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 26, 2012 10:59 |  #1

I created a YouTube video slide show from our grizzly bear viewing (external link)trip to Alaska this summer. I was working on another slide show and started thinking I really should put a Copy right some place in the show or maybe on every slide. I really don’t want to add a water mark over the images. I know the copy right won’t stop people from taking the images. Any recommendation on how to include the copy right info?

Also, the first video I made I created in 1080i HD. After thinking about it, it seem like this is just creating a really easy way to steal the photos out of the video. I want the video to look good, but not provide a high quality image to steal. What resolution should I use for video that will look good on the screen but not reproduce well?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about before I put the slide shows on YouTube?

I am here to learn, so suggestions for improvement are welcome on any of my photos.
Tom S
Gear 5D3, 7D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 100-400L
My Photo Site,  (external link) Flickr (external link) and my YouTube site (external link)

sponsored links
ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 26, 2012 11:31 |  #2

Well if someone tries to steal one of your images taken as a still frame of your video, then let them. Just because you used stills to create a video doesn't mean that the video is the same resolution as your stills. The video isn't anywhere even close to the same res. To create a video out of stills that means whatever program you used to stitch it all together had to duplicate the stills to fill all the frames in between. Let's just say that each still frame stays up on screen for 6 seconds, at 29.96 fps that one still frame had to be duplicated 179.76 times to fill that section. And to make it look seamless, there is a little bit of blur added in between each frame of the duplicated stills. So a screen grab of one still is going to look rather nasty and won't be the equal to one of your original still files.

Stills are shot at a much, much higher resolution than video is shot at on DSLRs. Unless you are shooting a 4K res camera, most screen grabs look bad compared to a true still image.

All that being said, it wouldn't take a lot to place a small watermark in the lower corner of the video if you're still worried. Just take the entire project back into any NLE program and add a continuous watermark over all your images.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

TsPhotoSpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 26, 2012 11:59 as a reply to  @ ChasWG's post |  #3

This a an example of an image I was able to capture off the YouTube Video. I guess it would depend on what a person would want to do with it. Not good enough for a large print but it could work for web display.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I am here to learn, so suggestions for improvement are welcome on any of my photos.
Tom S
My Photo Site,  (external link) Flickr (external link) and my YouTube site (external link)

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 26, 2012 12:20 |  #4

Then just lay in a watermark down in one of the lower corners so that it covers all your images from beginning to end. They won't beable to remove it without a lot of trouble. Lay it in at an angle so they can't just crop it out.

Welcome to the digital age where what you create and post on line isn't solely yours for too long. It sucks, but the watermark is your best defense at this point.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 26, 2012 17:56 |  #5

TsPhotoSpot wrote in post #15045259 (external link)
Is there anything else I should be thinking about before I put the slide shows on YouTube?

In addition what has already been mentioned place in the comments section after all of your comments of course Copyright 2012 and your name, this way should some creap re-upload te video to his You-Tube channel he cannot claim "I didn't know" when you have You-Tube take his video down.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

TsPhotoSpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 27, 2012 20:10 as a reply to  @ Channel One's post |  #6

Thanks for the input. I think I will go for a lower resolution video and copy right watermark.

Tom S

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 29, 2012 09:11 |  #7

What a shame you didn't switch the camera to video. ;-)a And viewers would perhaps find some images disturbing rather than disgusting.

With regard to copyright I would certainly include a footer note, tag line as suggested above. If you keep the images floating and cross fading this also makes grabbing a specific image more difficult.

Regrettably there are slime balls who don't respect others work and what ever you do they will rip off your image if they find it suitably inspiring. This I do find disgusting. If it were just for personal enjoyment that would be fine but in some dark corner of a semi developed toilet bowl of a country some low life will be using your image to make posters and wall prints for sale on eBay.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 29, 2012 11:05 |  #8

John Sims wrote in post #15057472 (external link)
Regrettably there are slime balls who don't respect others work and what ever you do they will rip off your image if they find it suitably inspiring.

No kidding, quarterly we use a combination of actual titles and key words of the people featured in our videos and yesterday was such a day and in the process I discovered 7 blatant and by that I mean the infringer didn’t copy a snippet or a portion of the clip but downloaded the entire video complete with our logo and description and re-uploaded it to their You-Tube channel.

The result a quick Copyright claim and poof the infringing content was gone and as always later on I receive a few angry e-mails asking just why did I take their video down, “their” video, talk about ballsy.

IMAGE: http://www.channel1images.com/Assets/JKInfringe.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.channel1images.com/Assets/JKInfringedown.jpg

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 30, 2012 10:36 |  #9

Way to go Wayne, yeah .. Youtube is the wild west of the internet, you really need to keep an eye on your content.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 24, 2013 19:31 |  #10

Channel One wrote in post #15057764 (external link)
No kidding, quarterly we use a combination of actual titles and key words of the people featured in our videos and yesterday was such a day and in the process I discovered 7 blatant and by that I mean the infringer didn’t copy a snippet or a portion of the clip but downloaded the entire video complete with our logo and description and re-uploaded it to their You-Tube channel.

The result a quick Copyright claim and poof the infringing content was gone and as always later on I receive a few angry e-mails asking just why did I take their video down, “their” video, talk about ballsy.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Wayne

Wayne - do you ever file damage claims against these people who rip you off or not worth it?

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 25, 2013 06:11 |  #11

mtbdudex wrote in post #16396734 (external link)
Wayne - do you ever file damage claims against these people who rip you off or not worth it?

Out of the dozens of infringements that have occurred I have filed a total of maybe three claims, in most cases other than a DMCA takedown or in repeated violations such as with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee a shutdown of their channel by You Tube it is not worth the time or effort to attempt to collect.

When it comes to these things there’s an old saying I go by “you can’t get blood from a turnup.”

BTW If you should ever find yourself in the position to file a claim, contact an attorney by the name of Carolyn E. Wright, she is well known in the photography business and works with attorneys around the country, she referenced me to genius in Atlanta who will take a claim on a contingency basis if he feels there is a good chance of collection and if not, he will not waist his time or yours.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

sponsored links

2,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
YouTube – Is this a problem?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.