Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 09:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

All photographers are alike

davtackett
917 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 27, 2012 09:14 |  #1

All photographers are alike, that's why they take bids for projects... They just click the button, so who ever will do it for the lowest bid gets the job, right? And if they don't get the perfect images they expect, they will want their money back... right?

I bid on a job, (by invite) and I'm a little worried, I've had dslr cameras for just over 2 years and still learning. I do have decent equipment, but I could use a better general lens, the Canon EF 28-135mm and nifty 50 is what I have. Any thoughts? I can't afford to buy an expensive lens right now and its a 6 week project so renting isn't an option.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 27, 2012 09:29 |  #2

All photographers are alike, that's why they take bids for projects... They just click the button, so who ever will do it for the lowest bid gets the job, right? And if they don't get the perfect images they expect, they will want their money back... right?

If all the photographers who bid the project are alike, that's will be true.

That's why it's vital to be distinctively different and distinctively better. That includes having the equipment and experience to nail the job the first time, because getting it done right the first time is less expensive than getting it done over.

PhotosGuy
75,844 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 27, 2012 09:49 |  #3

I bid on a job,...

To shoot what? I worked for decades with a 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, & 105mm. Figure out how to get great shots with what you have, or withdraw your bid. It's much better to do that before the fact, than try to satisfy the client with excuses, right? ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 27, 2012 10:10 |  #4

I could be wrong obviously, but it sounds to me like lens choice isn't going to be the problem here. It sounds like you bid on a contract you're not qualified to fulfill.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 27, 2012 10:17 |  #5

Not all photographers are alike. For instance, most successful photographers wouldn't bid on a contract that they are not qualified to fulfill, don't have the necessary equipment for and can't afford to purchase/rent equipment.

Things like that separate the professionals from the rest.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2012 10:25 |  #6

Would you be willing to take that analogy a step farther, and say that any profession where a person or company is bidding on a contract, they are all the same?
Plumbers?
Roofers?
IT?
if that was true why would anyone want to see references, your portfolio?

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

ATP
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 27, 2012 10:33 |  #7

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #15049640 (external link)
I could be wrong obviously, but it sounds to me like lens choice isn't going to be the problem here. It sounds like you bid on a contract you're not qualified to fulfill.

thats what im getting

Canon 7d and a Bunch of other sh*t
website is down | FB FAN PAGE (external link) |TWITTER (external link)| Flickr (external link)

davtackett
THREAD ­ STARTER
917 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2012 09:17 |  #8

No, its not that I couldn't do the job well, the person who contacted me is the ceo of this magazine and knows my work and has helped me sell work before to magazines, that's why she asked if I'd be interested. Its not up to her, it has to go before the board and I did put a bid in.

As far as those who mentioned lenses, well there you have it, saying its the lens and not the person behind it. That's what most people think. They have the best equipment so they're the most qualified - not true. So no matter who they hire, all the photos will be perfect because they're all alike, they just click a button - not true.

slickooz
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 30, 2012 09:23 |  #9

Can you share any of your images?

Facebook: Gary Feng Photography (external link)

davtackett
THREAD ­ STARTER
917 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2012 09:29 |  #10

Gaarryy wrote in post #15049716 (external link)
Would you be willing to take that analogy a step farther, and say that any profession where a person or company is bidding on a contract, they are all the same?
Plumbers?
Roofers?
IT?
if that was true why would anyone want to see references, your portfolio?

Good answer. I would think they would research the people, but since it's a board to decide, how would that be done... Seems they would just be looking at bids and expect perfection from any they choose.

This is a strange difficult job that most wouldn't want or may not be able to handle. Having an expensive set up would not be enough, being a professional wedding photographer would not be enough.

I think I could do it if they except my proposition on how it gets done, but it would take a lot of time away from my other on going jobs and hobbies. 100 photos in 100 places in several counties to be done in 6 weeks. Taking into consideration lighting/time of day, time of year (leaves are a falling) etc. its almost impossible to get perfection in such a short time, or at least to get the photos I would want, shortcuts would have to be made to get the job done in time.

davtackett
THREAD ­ STARTER
917 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2012 09:34 |  #11

One other thing, for those questioning my ability, I am doing a similar 3 month job and they couldn't be happier with my work and I am using them for a reference. Its another difficult job that most photographers couldn't or wouldn't do.

davtackett
THREAD ­ STARTER
917 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2012 11:33 |  #12

slickooz wrote in post #15060664 (external link)
Can you share any of your images?

Well, I told the company I am working for now that I wouldn't post any photos on the internet, but when it's done I plan to ask if I can use some for promotional reasons. I have a system on my website, I hide my best photos in with all the rest to keep harvesters away, and so I don't give away my fishing spots I don't post regularly (until the bite is over) - but I do plan to get a best pics page someday but it will be huge. And I'm not big on sharing photos in here except on the wildlife fisherman's thread so if you want to see some of my pics are on about every page - which may not be my best overall because they are fishing related. https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=11343​57&page=27...

One other note, that ceo contacted me a couple years ago and wanted to use some of my photos in their magazine. I asked how much they paid and she said sent me to their photo people who told me they don't pay for photos, that they have plenty of people who donate for free. So I refused. Now they changed their mind and decided to hire a photographer and she wrote and asked if I was interested in offering a bid and to send my proposal if I did. So I offered to do it on a per day bases, at so much per day so I wouldn't get sent all over the state everyday and so they would want several photos on each run. And it wasn't low, I'm not desperate and don't want to give up fishing for any period of time.

Sorry for writing so much, I felt a little insulted but after viewing a few commentators wedding websites, I feel much better. I know I have a lot to learn, but I don't plan on getting in over my head either. I always give it my all for clients.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 30, 2012 12:07 as a reply to  @ davtackett's post |  #13

I'm confused. What was this post about?

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,121 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 30, 2012 12:17 |  #14

davtackett wrote in post #15049439 (external link)

I bid on a job, (by invite) and I'm a little worried, I've had dslr cameras for just over 2 years and still learning. I do have decent equipment, but I could use a better general lens, the Canon EF 28-135mm and nifty 50 is what I have. Any thoughts? I can't afford to buy an expensive lens right now and its a 6 week project so renting isn't an option.

No this could be the farthest thing from the truth. Most of the better jobs with better clients its never about the lowest bid getting the job. In fact many projects that go out for bid the really low quotes are thrown out. The client knows what a reasonable price is for the job already. They have budgeted for the job. Many times they have already picked the photographer based on the fact all photographers are not the same and they know it and they put it out to bid because they are required to but they are not required to take the lowest.

And you should never bid on something you can't deliver on. Its a very small world out there and one bad job, the word gets around very quickly. ;)

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,663 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 30, 2012 13:35 |  #15

It'll be interesting to see what this job is.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
All photographers are alike
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.