Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official T4i Thread

WARAT
Goldmember
1,190 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 30, 2012 02:40 |  #451

I'm helping a friend get his first entry level DSLR and it seems like the T4i has a lot to offer. I had a t2i and I thought it was a good beginner's camera that taught me the basics. This however with the 9 point AF all cross-type focus points and digic 5 makes it a good buy. Anybody here have a low light sample shot? Preferably ISO 6400 if possible. I just want to see how well it handles high ISO. Thanks and keep up the good work fellas.

CANON 5D3 [35 L] [70-200 mm MKII] [50 mm 1.4]

sponsored links
advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Sep 30, 2012 08:05 |  #452

I posted a couple of tests shots back a couple of pages, look for a Domke photo vest pocket. That and the catalogs were at ISO 6400.

I tried to see if I had a real world example, but this is all I have at 6400. The whole unedited frame and an edited crop (with flaws from the stm lens)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 30, 2012 10:20 |  #453

advaitin wrote in post #15060384 (external link)
I posted a couple of tests shots back a couple of pages, look for a Domke photo vest pocket. That and the catalogs were at ISO 6400.

I tried to see if I had a real world example, but this is all I have at 6400. The whole unedited frame and an edited crop (with flaws from the stm lens)

The noise is quite low (as expected). ISO 6400 is the new frontier.

I don't know whether Canon has published already curves for correcting CA (the flaws). If/when they do, it works like magic. I tried to remove most of it by manual CA correction in GIMP and the results are pretty much acceptable... I would post it if you had 'Image editing OK' under your avatar.;)

EDIT: From a second look, the CA is not evident in your unedited photo! Rather strange...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Sep 30, 2012 11:09 |  #454

In my editing for color temp, I may have created the CA. It was a quick and dirty looking for an example. I shot a bunch of low light stuff that day on a 1DIV and 5DIII--and only that on the T4i, plus movies. Go ahead and post your edit. I'm just a non-conformist.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 30, 2012 11:37 |  #455

advaitin wrote in post #15060973 (external link)
In my editing for color temp, I may have created the CA. It was a quick and dirty looking for an example. I shot a bunch of low light stuff that day on a 1DIV and 5DIII--and only that on the T4i, plus movies. Go ahead and post your edit. I'm just a non-conformist.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ok! But my main point was that you should seek to find the Canon curves correcting CA for your lens. I have the 18-200 which has plenty of CA and it goes away with one click in Darktable!:D

The sample above though, was done in GIMP, manually.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Sep 30, 2012 15:58 |  #456

I like that. I am unfamiliar with darktable or Canon Curves. . I've been using something called ACDSee pro.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 30, 2012 16:15 |  #457

Canon publishes the curves (they are data files) and PostProcessing program makers incorporate them to correct lens problems (distortion. aberration) with the software.

Darktable is a Linux program, similar to Lightroom. I can't remember whether they have an Apple variant. Definitely no Windows.

Gerry

swhiggins
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 30, 2012 17:37 as a reply to  @ post 15055525 |  #458

Very nice shots Shake N Vac. I was able to pull a little more detail out of the first one, a higher resolution one is also available too.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i150.photobucke​t.com …uched/img1171_t​weak_2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

The higher resolution version is available here -
http://i150.photobucke​t.com …touched/img1171​_tweak.jpg (external link)

Best,
Steve

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

diableri
148 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 30, 2012 18:08 |  #459

BigLobowski wrote in post #15056887 (external link)
Thanks so much for looking into this and posting your findings! Look forward to hearing how things go after the weekend. Cheers.

The RC-6 works great from the front. I have an eyepiece extender on my T4i that is probably interfering a bit with the signal for the back sensor because it's a pain to get it to fire from behind the camera (unless you have an angle ABOVE the camera) if there ANY kinda of light hitting the back of the camera. Here's one of my many different exposures last night of the moon:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0266.jpg (external link) by diableri (external link), on Flickr

Here is what was behind me and facing the back of the camera:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0274.jpg (external link) by diableri (external link), on Flickr

Please forgive the exposure, I just swung around, guessed and fired. Those lights may not seem bright, but if I wasn't casting a shadow on the LCD, the remote wouldn't fire it. From the front, it was fine. I'll be buying a wired remote and looking for one with a longer than three foot cable personally.

EDIT: BTW, anyone know how to get rid of that copyright silliness in LR? My friend did that on install and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

swhiggins
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 30, 2012 18:21 |  #460

diableri wrote in post #15062310 (external link)
The RC-6 works great from the front. I have an eyepiece extender on my T4i that is probably interfering a bit with the signal for the back sensor because it's a pain to get it to fire from behind the camera (unless you have an angle ABOVE the camera) if there ANY kinda of light hitting the back of the camera. Here's one of my many different exposures last night of the moon:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_0266.jpg (external link) by diableri (external link), on Flickr

Here is what was behind me and facing the back of the camera:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_0274.jpg (external link) by diableri (external link), on Flickr

Please forgive the exposure, I just swung around, guessed and fired. Those lights may not seem bright, but if I wasn't casting a shadow on the LCD, the remote wouldn't fire it. From the front, it was fine. I'll be buying a wired remote and looking for one with a longer than three foot cable personally.

EDIT: BTW, anyone know how to get rid of that copyright silliness in LR? My friend did that on install and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Hi, I think you can clear a checkbox in the file export menu -
File
Export...
Scroll down to Watermark and uncheck Watermark

My guess is that'll get rid of the visible copyright, but the meta-data copyright info should remain intact.

By the way, nice shot of the moon... nifty 250?

Steve

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

diableri
148 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 30, 2012 18:36 |  #461

swhiggins wrote in post #15062366 (external link)
Hi, I think you can clear a checkbox in the file export menu -
File
Export...
Scroll down to Watermark and uncheck Watermark

My guess is that'll get rid of the visible copyright, but the meta-data copyright info should remain intact.

By the way, nice shot of the moon... nifty 250?

Steve

Yep, that thing was an absolute steel for the money. I'm now of the opinion that it should probably be owned by anyone with a canon just in case you want a lens to submerge in water someday. :p It's incredible at that price.

Thank you so much for the help with LR. I'll give that a try on my next upload to flickr.

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 30, 2012 20:46 |  #462

diableri wrote in post #15057468 (external link)
I think you're getting there. Monopod and a bit faster/longer lens to allow for faster shutter/less crop and I think that last shot would pretty fantastic. It's a good shot right now but the OOF is there from the crop/ISO obviously. Given handheld and crop I think it's pretty good though.

Great composition and series timing between the frames!

The real question I have, is do you have the shot of him celebrating after he got up? :)

EDIT: And isn't rude of these players to face away from you!?

Lol, very rude! In my haste to check to see if I got any of the sequence properly, I didn't think to wait for the celebration shot - lesson learned! Not quite as bad however as just prior to this I had turned my back to the field for just a moment to get a shot of the team mascot posing right beside me, only to turn back to the field and to my horror, see our star receiver leaping mid-air not 50 feet from me, making an amazing end zone catch... Doh!! - even bigger lesson learned!
The evening field shots definitely has me re-thinking the extra expense of the 70-200 f/2.8L USM however. ill be looking into it tomorrow.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 30, 2012 20:52 |  #463

A few shots from this weekend. Some 18-135 some 70-200:

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img855/2613/22784656.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img641/4818/img15571.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img7/4654/img14491h.jpg

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 30, 2012 20:55 |  #464

A few more:

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img337/9007/img144412.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img341/7427/img15382.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img138/2707/img14941.jpg

- Ken

fauge
63 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 01, 2012 00:27 |  #465

Help,
It's time for an upgrade and I'm not sure which to get. My budget is $1200 and I am torn between the T4i w/ the 18 - 135 or the 60D w/ the 18-135 . I have read the comparisons and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Video is a factor as my daughters wedding is coming up. I never see myself moving up to full frame or upgrading for the life of this camera. I have a Rebel xs that I will keep as a second body that my wife can use.
Any thoughts on which way to go would be appreciated.

:cool: Gripped Rebel T4i, Gripped Rebel XS,Canon 70-200 F4, Canon 18-135mm EF-S IS STM, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm f/1.8 Yongnuo YN-560 II x's 2 :roll:
http://fauge.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/frankauge/ (external link)

sponsored links

489,180 views & 51 likes for this thread
Official T4i Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.