Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 00:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How often will an "L" lens need calibration when purchased new?

adamg5
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2012 14:04 |  #16

BryantFC whats the cost for the calibration? Do have to be a gold member and do the items have to under warranty for additional savings?

Thanks,

Adam

Consider me a satellite forever orbiting, I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED

sponsored links
BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 30, 2012 14:09 |  #17

My 35L is under warranty so its free. Unfortunately my 50L isn't so its going to be around 200-250 with gold discount. At least that's what I was quoted. I need to send that lens in BC its very soft on all of my outer cross type points from wide open until 2.8. Only in center point its tack sharp.
I do not have this problem with my Sigma, 35L, the 85L I rented from cps and the old 85 1.8 I had. So I believe its a issue with the lens itself..

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

adamg5
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2012 14:17 |  #18

Thanks for the info sir :)

Consider me a satellite forever orbiting, I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 30, 2012 17:23 |  #19

17-40L (bought secondhand), 24-105 L (new), 28 F2.8 (new), 70-200 F2.8 L IS (new), 100 F2.8 Macro (bought secondhand), 300 F4 L IS (bought secondhand) & 600 F4 L IS (bought secondhand) - all are more accurately cailbrated than I cam measure, I know I have tried. All focus properly (as far as I can test on the following cameras: 50E,33V, EOS 3, 5Dc and 1D4.
Some of you people seem to have a lot of bad luck.
I do have a Holga pinhole lens, the focussing on that isin't too hot!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

jerbear00
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 30, 2012 20:42 as a reply to  @ post 15061523 |  #20

Join CPS gold use the 2 free clean and check coupons if needed. Buy reiken focal and let the system calibrate your lenses if needed.

5d3 & Lens CoLLector
Gear List/Feedback

jerbear00
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 30, 2012 20:44 as a reply to  @ jerbear00's post |  #21

My 50L is with canon now and the bill was 195 after cps gold discount.

5d3 & Lens CoLLector
Gear List/Feedback

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 30, 2012 22:07 as a reply to  @ jerbear00's post |  #22

My 70-200 2.8L II required +3, and my 100-400L required -7 on my 7D. No problem to micro adjust, and it moved everything into tack-sharp focus.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

adamg5
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2012 23:13 |  #23

jerbear00 wrote in post #15062810 (external link)
My 50L is with canon now and the bill was 195 after cps gold discount.

My 5D III and 35L are under warranty so I was thinking about having them calibrating the two together for free right since there under warranty?
I was looking at upgrading my silver membership to gold ($100) and if I do it says I get two free clean and checks so I guess I could send in my 50L and 135L for calibration for free?
I tried calling but they were closed, I'll call in the morning.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 30, 2012 23:28 |  #24

Calibration is generally not included with check and clean. They may do it if you ask sometimes.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 30, 2012 23:44 |  #25

adamg5 wrote in post #15063354 (external link)
My 5D III and 35L are under warranty so I was thinking about having them calibrating the two together for free right since there under warranty?
I was looking at upgrading my silver membership to gold ($100) and if I do it says I get two free clean and checks so I guess I could send in my 50L and 135L for calibration for free?
I tried calling but they were closed, I'll call in the morning.

Why...?
Unless the lenses are producing images that are soft or out of focus and actually need calibrating, what's the point?
Just having them calibrated for the sake of of it or because you can, is not a reason to have it done.
It just wastes the technicians' time and creates a backlog of equpment that has been sent in for genuine repairs.
This sort of thing is why people post on here complaining that they sent their Canon whatever body or lens and it took six weeks for it to be looked at, repaired and returned and that Canon should lift their game.
If Canon sent a note back with their gear that read something like this...

Dear Customer, we're sorry for the delay in looking at and repairing your camera.
However our technicians have been inundated by people wasting their time by sending equipment that is functioning perfectly.
Unfortunately, these items still need to be checked and are done in the order received, hence increasing your waiting time.

maybe that delay would be reduced.

It's not Canon that need to lift their game it's inconsiderate schmucks who send their stuff to Canon for no reason who need to stop doing it.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

adamg5
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 01, 2012 00:05 |  #26

Invertalon wrote in post #15063403 (external link)
Calibration is generally not included with check and clean. They may do it if you ask sometimes.

Thanks Steve, yeah the few times and had repairs done or had any questions there customer service was very helpful.

sponsored links

4,533 views & 0 likes for this thread
How often will an "L" lens need calibration when purchased new?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.