Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Oct 2012 (Monday) 04:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you get identical UWA images on crop vs full frame?

rusty.jg
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 01, 2012 04:27 |  #1

Hi Guys,

Hopefully just a quick question regarding crop vs full frame. I am well aware of the differences and have been shooting for over 10 years.

However I have one question which I dont really know the answer to...

Is there a difference between 10mm on crop and 16mm on full frame when trying to take an identical image with each setup (ignoring any DoF differences)?

The reason I ask is that the corners of the UWA lenses distort heavily (by distortion I mean the "streetching" caused by the casting of the image onto a flat sensor by a rectilinear lens). Would this stretching be the same when trying to take identical shots with the setups mentioned above?

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 01, 2012 04:30 |  #2

Images are identical assuming inifinite depth of field, no diffraction and perfect lens design.

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 01, 2012 04:31 |  #3

If you disregard barrel distortion and shoot both at a smaller aperture (like f/11 or so, where the entire frame is in focus), you won't see any differences between an UWA shot at 10mm on crop or an UWA shot at 16mm on full frame.

However, you have to check out individual lenses to see how to compare lenses. Will the 16-35 have better color rendition than the 10-22, will it flare more, will it have worse corners, etc.

The reason I ask is that the corners of the UWA lenses distort heavily (by distortion I mean the "streetching" caused by the casting of the image onto a flat sensor by a rectilinear lens). Would this stretching be the same when trying to take identical shots with the setups mentioned above?

The stretching you speak about is often misinterpreted for lens distortion, but you have to realize the difference between perspective distortion and barrel distortion. They are completely different things.
Barrel distortion will be zero with a "perfect UWA". Perspective distortion will be the same in every lens, because it's the angle of view combined with the subject distance.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

rusty.jg
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 01, 2012 04:35 as a reply to  @ TweakMDS's post |  #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought that might be the case (assuming perfect lenses, etc). I was just curious if there were fundamental optical differences introduced by using a different focal length on a rectilinear lens.

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,634 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can you get identical UWA images on crop vs full frame?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.