Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Canon S100 Lens Error Advisory

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 10, 2012 17:09 |  #16

hfgarris wrote in post #14670398 (external link)
The Canon site does not list it as a "Recall", it is shown as a "Product Advisories" with the indication they will fix it out-of-warranty IF the problem is caused by the indicated "phenomenon"

Nowhere does it say you should send in properly functioning units at this time under a recall.

Exactly! My S100 starts with 30 which is one of the potentially defective ones. From what I'm reading, you can't send it back unless there is a problem.

David

Edit ***

Update:
"Canon reached out to clarify that it has only issued an advisory about the problem. It's not a full product recall. If you're having problems with the lens, the company will happily fix it, but it's not calling in all of the S100s within the above serial number range."

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links
hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 10, 2012 19:32 |  #17

davidc502 wrote in post #14698542 (external link)
Exactly! My S100 starts with 30 which is one of the potentially defective ones. From what I'm reading, you can't send it back unless there is a problem.

David

Edit ***

Update:
"Canon reached out to clarify that it has only issued an advisory about the problem. It's not a full product recall. If you're having problems with the lens, the company will happily fix it, but it's not calling in all of the S100s within the above serial number range."

Mine is in the suspect range too. I hope Canon will open it up as a recall so I can have it fixed at my convenience, rather than have it fail at an unfortunate time. :(

-Howard

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 20, 2012 04:59 |  #18

No problem with mine and it's in the effective range of the advisory. Wonder how long it will last?

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 20, 2012 05:56 |  #19

jptsr1 wrote in post #14743533 (external link)
No problem with mine and it's in the effective range of the advisory. Wonder how long it will last?

Why would the advisory ever disappear? It's in effect for specific models only.

My Gearlist

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 20, 2012 10:10 |  #20

MOkoFOko wrote in post #14743610 (external link)
Why would the advisory ever disappear? It's in effect for specific models only.

I was referring to my apparent luck with the camera not the advisory.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

nickgillespie
91 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 21, 2012 12:38 as a reply to  @ post 14676317 |  #21

If you have the Canon Professional Services they will usually have it back to you within 2 days of getting it. If you haven't heard of it, check it out.

Wedding Photographer in Charlotte (external link)

TycoonOT
59 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 01, 2012 12:57 |  #22

How is Canon support? I bought this locally and have the error message now. I'm at work so I can't call them yet :(

https://photography-on-the.net …=15085057&postc​ount=36843
https://photography-on-the.net …=15145110&postc​ount=37040
https://photography-on-the.net …=15166368&postc​ount=37103
https://photography-on-the.net …=15166465&postc​ount=37104
My Feedback

aasta
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 03, 2012 06:19 as a reply to  @ TycoonOT's post |  #23

I got this problem in April while travelling, before Canon posted the advisory. Didn't get it fixed until just recently when I got back home from my trip. Delivered it to the shop where I bought it and they sent it to a shop that does Canon repairs in Norway (we don't have a Canon hq here), and they fixed it for free.

While travelling I tried to get Canon Malaysia to fix, but it was too expensive, and would take too long time, so I dropped it and sent my camera back home instead. This was, as said, long before the advisory was posted, but does anyone know if Canon in Malaysia would have replaced it for free if I tried after the advisory, even though the camera was bought in Norway (good to know, just in case I end up with a faulty Canon-product abroad again)?

├ůsta around the world (external link) - - Facebook (external link) - -Tumblr (external link)

mccamli
624 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2012 06:40 as a reply to  @ aasta's post |  #24

Mine died a couple of days ago while on a trip to Melbourne (Australia). It's frustrating that you have to wait for it to die before Canon will do anything but I'm kinda happy mine's failed now as I'm sure they'll fix it. I guess if it died in a couple of years there mightbe a few more questions...

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mccamli
624 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 02, 2012 02:00 as a reply to  @ mccamli's post |  #25

Arrived back today...no questions asked.

I bought the camera from the USA and returned it to Canon Australia without any documentation.

Great little camera...

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3691/8755479904_b3ee5b3fd8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mccamli/8755479​904/  (external link)
IMG_1047.jpg (external link) by Mccamli (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 25, 2013 10:05 |  #26

Spoke to soon, got the error this morning. Cannon just emailed me the return info so I'll report back on how it goes.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 08, 2013 08:39 |  #27

jptsr1 wrote in post #15532097 (external link)
Spoke to soon, got the error this morning. Cannon just emailed me the return info so I'll report back on how it goes.

finally got it back after about a week or so. works like a charm. im glad i wont have to lug my 5d everywhere with me anymore.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

toddt
69 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 14, 2013 17:48 |  #28

nickgillespie wrote in post #14887430 (external link)
If you have the Canon Professional Services they will usually have it back to you within 2 days of getting it. If you haven't heard of it, check it out.

Signed up for CPS today and called them regarding the lens error which just happened on my S100, which is 1 year and 1 month old. They said the S100 is not covered by CPS however, I sent it to the Newport News, Virginia Canon repair center using the CPS form. Will report back on the turn-around time.

Canon 7D Gripped | Canon XTi | Canon S100 | Canon SD870 IS|EF 70-200 f2.8LIS II | EFS 17-55 | EF 75-300 | EFS 18-55 | 580EX II

toddt
69 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 21, 2013 19:58 |  #29

toddt wrote in post #15610900 (external link)
Signed up for CPS today and called them regarding the lens error which just happened on my S100, which is 1 year and 1 month old. They said the S100 is not covered by CPS however, I sent it to the Newport News, Virginia Canon repair center using the CPS form. Will report back on the turn-around time.

Received e-mail from Canon that they had received my S100 today. They advised that it would be repaired free of charge and will be returned within 7 business days.

Canon 7D Gripped | Canon XTi | Canon S100 | Canon SD870 IS|EF 70-200 f2.8LIS II | EFS 17-55 | EF 75-300 | EFS 18-55 | 580EX II

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 25, 2013 03:12 |  #30

Well, this sucks...I've had the camera for about 14 months (out of warranty)...but have used it very little (only 844 shots)...yesterday the lens error hit full force. My camera's within the affected range of serial numbers (in fact, I have one of the first ones)...*sigh*...to make things nicer, I'm in South Korea, so I'm going to have to somehow figure things out here...I purchased the camera in the US (B&H), so I emailed Canon about it and waiting for them to get back to me.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

66,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon S100 Lens Error Advisory
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.