Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 01 Oct 2012 (Monday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motion detector cams?

kat.hayes
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 01, 2012 08:09 |  #1

I want to get pictures of some mountain lions, bobcats and other creatures that are hanging out in my backyard in the middle of the night.

1 can anyone recommend some water proof motion detector wireless cam for this purpose?

2. I have a bunch of old point and shoot cams. Anyone have any advice on how I might be able to use these? Just looking for any suggestions if you can think of some.

Thanks.

sponsored links
TycoonOT
59 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 01, 2012 13:11 |  #2

What kind of quality are you looking for? Spending limit?

https://photography-on-the.net …=15085057&postc​ount=36843
https://photography-on-the.net …=15145110&postc​ount=37040
https://photography-on-the.net …=15166368&postc​ount=37103
https://photography-on-the.net …=15166465&postc​ount=37104
My Feedback

kat.hayes
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 01, 2012 17:43 |  #3

I would like good quality, though I think I would like to spend around $200 to see what shows up before spending much more on a cam. Also, I might want to buy a few of them to put in different spots, so probably about $200 or less.

Thanks.

mike21951
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 02, 2012 06:14 |  #4

You might try a surveillance camera system. Logitech has a system which could work. I use it for the house. It is on all the time but records any detected motion (video but you can extract still frames). $299 for system with one camera and $200 each for add on cameras. It uses your homes electrical wiring as a network so no cables to run. HD but not dslr quality. Here's a link: http://www.logitech.co​m …ty-systems/master-systems (external link)

Good luck.

Hardrock40
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 05, 2012 01:03 |  #5

+1 for Mikes suggestion.

You'll want the 750e outdoor system. I have 4. They cost a tad bit more and run on a windows PC. The night vision is pretty good for animals that will come a stand around a bit but anything moving is a blur.

As Mike said, you plug it into your home outlets and video / sound comes through you home wiring, then you'll need and outlet at your PC to plug another box into, then that plugs into a router for its trip online and your PC.

You can view from any PC on the web via website Logitech has. If you needed it a ways out from your home you could run a drop cord. My house is 40+ years old, so I ran a dedicated 110v line.

As for taking photo's its not that great. Just for watching them and recording for watching later, you can't beat it for the price. It will send you text alerts, play desktop alerts, send photos and can be viewed on most smart phones if you have Internet access. The built in mic is great. Every night I come home and put on headphones and have the camera's on a second monitor. I can hear cats walking by and all sorts of crazy things in the woods I sometimes never see.

Your point n shoot would work if they can be fired remotely. I set up the camera outside with flash. Watch with the Logitech and when something gets where it needs to be, I fire the camera with a remote. But this is getting pricey.

The low cost way to get photos of wildlife at night is a trail camera. Here is a cheep one, the price goes up from here.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …65328&Q=&is=REG​&A=details (external link)

Set it and forget it. Go swap the memory card the next day and see what you got. This, even a better one fits your budget.

chrisgerman1983
247 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 05, 2012 01:13 as a reply to  @ Hardrock40's post |  #6

What p&s's do you have? can any of them run CHDK? I would find a used G9 and run CHDK on it... motion detection works very good and has a ton of parameters you can change as far as sensitivity and delay.

Deerhunter229
56 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 11, 2012 12:33 |  #7

Message me if you are still looking to use point and shoots to make your own. I don't want to post links to other forums without permission but there are outdoor forums that specialize in exactly what you are wanting to do and I have a few myself.

T3i and 18-55 kit lens , 100-400L 4.5/5.6 IS, 120-300mm f2.8 OS Sport,28-70 f2.8 Mark i, 7D, 35mm f2, 270EX, 600EX-RT,YN-E3-RT, 5D Mark iii,Canon 24-70 f2.8 Mark i

sponsored links

1,852 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motion detector cams?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.