Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 01:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 3.6 vs Lightroom 4.1

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2012 01:05 |  #1

Now have my new computer with plenty of RAM, just wondering if I should do the upgrade?

What's the consensus on LR 4.1? Generally a good thing?

Are a lot of people still using 3.6? If so, why?

When would an update to 4.2 come?

sponsored links
emko
82 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 20, 2012 01:38 |  #2

4.1 is slower then 3. 6 especially when you use a adjustment brush it slows down so much that sliding a slider lags for many seconds I hope they fix this in 4.2

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 20, 2012 02:22 |  #3

This is just one man's opinion, although backed up with more than eleven years experience with Raw converters, and I believe LR4 is a huge step forward from LR3 (which was no slouch) with significant advances in the creation of fully detailed highlights, open and rich shadows and brilliant, halo-free local contrast (clarity). It also has excellent CA suppression and anti-fringing controls and extended functionality in the brush/grad filter.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2012 02:30 |  #4

I agree that LR4 offers some good improvements in the "dynamic range" adjustments in the Basic controls.

Some people do experience performance "hits", although these are system-dependent.

LR4.2 is out as a "Release Candidate", but I haven't heard of any "substantial" improvements -- try the free trial of LR4 1 and if it works for you, it's all good!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

flickserve
THREAD ­ STARTER
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2012 06:07 |  #5

The last few days, I have been trying out LR4.1 and comparing with 3.6

Bit nervous about the performance issues. My system is a freshly installed win7 64 (pro) on 3770K processor, 32GB RAM (yes it's overkill), SSD for OS and programs and 7200rpm HDD for photos and data.

LR4.1 is not as fast as 3.6 ( for real time use, it's not affecting me adversely) but the functionality seem much better. I don't seem to need to add so much contrast with 4.1 and the sliders are much easier to use before.

Verdict: Converted

I am going to pay for the upgrade.

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 01, 2012 14:20 |  #6

I read somewhere that for 5d mk3 raw files you needed to upgrade to LR4, is this true?

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2012 14:39 |  #7

0.0f wrote in post #15065874 (external link)
I read somewhere that for 5d mk3 raw files you needed to upgrade to LR4, is this true?

It is true. That is the only reason I upgraded to LR4. I'm also frustrated with the lag time when working in LR4. The improvements are nice but sometimes I'm ready to roll and LR4 isn't. I hope the fix will come soon.:mad:

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 02, 2012 07:27 |  #8

You could also convert to DNG and keep using LR3.7

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

JChin
415 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 03, 2012 06:58 |  #9

LR 4.2 is officially released. Hopefully that one will be better than LR 4.1.

Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)SmugMug (external link)Zenfolio (external link)
I shoot with Canon gear.

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 03, 2012 08:10 |  #10

flickserve wrote in post #15017641 (external link)
Now have my new computer with plenty of RAM, just wondering if I should do the upgrade?

What's the consensus on LR 4.1? Generally a good thing?

Are a lot of people still using 3.6? If so, why?

When would an update to 4.2 come?

I upgraded to LR4 from 3.6 and highly recommend it. 4.0 was rather laggy but 4.1 fixed the issues for me (haven't downloaded 4.2 yet). The major improvements for me are the better highlight/shadow recovery, the new chromatic aberration removal eyedropper (a godsend for the 85mm 1.8), and soft proof function which simulates prints. Personally, I think upgrading LR is money better spent than upgrading camera bodies right now.

garryknight
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2012 17:51 |  #11

It's well worth the upgrade just for the better result you get with the sliders. With plenty of RAM you shouldn't have a speed problem but you might be able to speed it up even more by putting your catalog and ACR cache on a separate hard drive from the photos.

I was running 3.6 in Windows XP on a 4 GB RAM dual-core PC and it was slow. I upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 with 64-bit Lightroom 4 and did the above changes and it's now a lot faster.

Garry Knight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/garryknight/ (external link)
Sony A6000, 16-50mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, 35mm; Panasonic Lumix TZ70; Sony HX60V; Nikon D5100, AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR, AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED VR, AF-S 50mm f/1.8G; and a Samsung Note 4 cameraphone

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 04, 2012 01:11 |  #12

JChin wrote in post #15073729 (external link)
LR 4.2 is officially released. Hopefully that one will be better than LR 4.1.

Just upgraded to 4.2. Seem much faster, on my two computers at least.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links

3,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 3.6 vs Lightroom 4.1
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.