Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 11:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I LOVE my 600EX-RT

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 30, 2012 08:45 |  #76

Given the reverse engineering that Pixel and YN have been doing with ETTL for their triggers, it seems like a logical next step would be to create a product that replicates the 600EX-RT radio functions. a STE3 with a hot shoe. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
Pi_314
365 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2012 10:02 |  #77

dmward wrote in post #15060512 (external link)
Given the reverse engineering that Pixel and YN have been doing with ETTL for their triggers, it seems like a logical next step would be to create a product that replicates the 600EX-RT radio functions. a STE3 with a hot shoe. :-)

I would expect that to be a given, probably working on that right now. They might also be working on a hole in the system such as to make it possible to use your existing flashes within the system. Maybe by sometime late next year for around $200 for the flash itself?

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 30, 2012 18:46 |  #78

My STE3 is coming tomorrow. I did go to B&H on Friday morning, after seeing it in stock on their website Thursday night, but unfortunately their "in stock" on their website does not differentiate between in stock in warehouse and in store. In this case, it was in stock in warehouse.

I've been having fun with my two 600's in the meantime. Looking forward to getting them both off the camera.

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 01, 2012 06:02 |  #79

LOVE my 600EX flashes too...

Calumet (NYC Store especially) has them in stock.... few months ago when EVERYONE was out of stock. Call Calumet, they have lots.. walked in the store and got me one. while everyone is waiting for B&H to stock more. Calumet has them...

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 01, 2012 06:52 |  #80

Is there anything about a 2.4 signal that allow Canon to encrypt the data being sent on their radio system?

I can see how YN et al can break the optical system quite easily, but a radio system?

I too fear for Pocket Wizard, being pinched on both sides by the superb Yn system for the hobbyist/frugal photographer and Canon radio on the pro end.

Guess their dumb triggers are their best future hope (hence the updated PWIII) and the massive installed user base that uses them.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2012 12:15 |  #81

Just got my STE3 and am having fun playing with it and my 2 600's. I think it's time to get another 600.

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 01, 2012 18:13 |  #82

MDJAK wrote in post #15065333 (external link)
Just got my STE3 and am having fun playing with it and my 2 600's. I think it's time to get another 600.

i did the same thing after getting the STE3 too.

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2012 19:20 |  #83

John, my wife grew up in Brooklyn, Park Slope, and lived in Sheepshead Bay when we met. I worked in the NYS Supreme Court on Adams Street. We wound up living on Joralemon St., between Henry & Hicks for 8 yrs before moving to Westchester.

And I have very good friends who moved from Putnam County to Georgia few years back.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2012 19:20 |  #84

Trailboy wrote in post #15064142 (external link)
Is there anything about a 2.4 signal that allow Canon to encrypt the data being sent on their radio system?

I can see how YN et al can break the optical system quite easily, but a radio system?

I too fear for Pocket Wizard, being pinched on both sides by the superb Yn system for the hobbyist/frugal photographer and Canon radio on the pro end.

Guess their dumb triggers are their best future hope (hence the updated PWIII) and the massive installed user base that uses them.

I don't know about encrypting the data, but you can assign a 4 digit pin to yours so no one else sets yours off.

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 01, 2012 19:49 |  #85

MDJAK wrote in post #15067083 (external link)
John, my wife grew up in Brooklyn, Park Slope, and lived in Sheepshead Bay when we met. I worked in the NYS Supreme Court on Adams Street. We wound up living on Joralemon St., between Henry & Hicks for 8 yrs before moving to Westchester.

And I have very good friends who moved from Putnam County to Georgia few years back.

awesome!! i grew up in chinatown in the 80s. live in brooklyn Gravesend from 1990s... then got married and lived in Windsor Terrace for 6 yrs before moving here in Georgia (cherokee county) where my wife is originally from.

my mom's neighbor in Gravesend, their grandson is a Court Office at one of those buildings in Brooklyn...

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2012 19:51 |  #86

Chinatown? I'm there at least once a month, and I live 55 miles north. Used to go to Joy Luck, but after 55 years, they retired a few years back.

Loved Nu Ling Hong (sp?) on Bayard until it was taken over.

Now go to Wo Hop downstairs. Duck yat gaw mein. Man, I can taste it now.

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 01, 2012 19:55 |  #87

MDJAK wrote in post #15067223 (external link)
Chinatown? I'm there at least once a month, and I live 55 miles north. Used to go to Joy Luck, but after 55 years, they retired a few years back.

Loved Nu Ling Hong (sp?) on Bayard until it was taken over.

Now go to Wo Hop downstairs. Duck yat gaw mein. Man, I can taste it now.

I miss Chinese food so much... One of my bestfriend family used to be one of the owners at Wo Hop.

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

Nick5
Goldmember
3,107 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 01, 2012 22:58 |  #88

MDJAK wrote in post #15067083 (external link)

My son lived in Park Slope while attending NYU. Love Park Slope.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

*Knowledge*
980 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 02, 2012 00:41 |  #89

Reading this thread from start to finish has got me itchin' for a switchin'.
I have two 580exII, ST-E2, 4 PW & Strobes. Question is, do I want to only upgrade my speedlite hardware or get rid of everything and only go the speedlite route? Then again, is there anyway that the RT in the ST-E3 can trigger strobes... maybe sometime down the line with some sort of 3.5mm adapter??

Hmm...

I'm Preston & I pretend to know what I'm doing but I really just wing it.
Gear List

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 04, 2012 01:05 |  #90

*Knowledge* wrote in post #15068256 (external link)
Reading this thread from start to finish has got me itchin' for a switchin'.
I have two 580exII, ST-E2, 4 PW & Strobes. Question is, do I want to only upgrade my speedlite hardware or get rid of everything and only go the speedlite route? Then again, is there anyway that the RT in the ST-E3 can trigger strobes... maybe sometime down the line with some sort of 3.5mm adapter??

Hmm...

If you have the cash, do it. Getting the 600EX' is one of the best things I ever did. I spent more than the value of a 5D Mark III, now that I think of it, but the ease of use and the reliability are amazing.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

sponsored links

19,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
I LOVE my 600EX-RT
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.