Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Oct 2012 (Monday) 23:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Keeping files in sequence?

rymy
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 01, 2012 23:09 |  #1

When I shoot with two cameras, thus using two different CF cards, I want the pics to stay in sequence when I upload them in LR. I have reset the cards back to 0000 thinking that when LR uploads it would put 0001 next to the other 0001 or add a -1 to it to give it a new name but still keep them in sequence. Instead what happened is when LR uploaded the pics it put all pics on card 1 together and then all pics on card 2 together. So now there is no flow to the collection. How do I fix that? I have to shoot a wedding this weekend and I want to be able to work in a flow and not some of the shots and then some of the scene are way in the other end of the collection.

sponsored links
lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 01, 2012 23:15 |  #2

Can not help you with LR, but I use DPP to solve my problem. I dump 2 or more cards into the same folder, using DPP I sort the files by shooting date/time, then using DPP I rename all the files with sequence numbers.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

rymy
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 01, 2012 23:32 |  #3

what is DDP?

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 01, 2012 23:38 |  #4

DPP - Canon software that comes with all Canon SLR Digital Photo Professional

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

rymy
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 01, 2012 23:47 |  #5

I'm not busting out the Canon software and getting tied up in that. There has got to be a way to do what it is I'm talking about.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 01, 2012 23:57 |  #6

To do what you want(using my workflow method) first I export them from both cards into 1 single folder on the HD, then upload them from that folder to into lightroom.(Which is what I always do, save them to my HD first then import them.) But I know some like to import them from the cards themselves.

When I do that method they all get saved in one set.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sally_tomato
400 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 02, 2012 00:14 |  #7

first you need to synch the clocks/time stamp on the camera bodies.
file names/numbers wont matter, so long as there are no idenitical filenames. best way to avoid this is to use a different file name prefix for each body, although this is not critical, you can amend file names upon import into LR.
then import files into the same folder, or move them after importing, or you can even keep them in two folders and group them as a collection.
whatever, the important part is to use "capture time" as sort method in LR.

that should take of it! good luck

rymy
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 02, 2012 00:20 |  #8

sally_tomato wrote in post #15068198 (external link)
first you need to synch the clocks/time stamp on the camera bodies.
file names/numbers wont matter, so long as there are no idenitical filenames. best way to avoid this is to use a different file name prefix for each body, although this is not critical, you can amend file names upon import into LR.
then import files into the same folder, or move them after importing, or you can even keep them in two folders and group them as a collection.
whatever, the important part is to use "capture time" as sort method in LR.

that should take of it! good luck

Well hot Damn!!! So if RM1 on one camera body and RM2 on the other camera body and start off both cards with the file number 0000 they should have stay in the same sequence upon import?

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2012 00:56 |  #9

Forget about sequence numbers and use the date & time from your Exif data instead. Set the format like this during import:

Date(YYYYMMDD)-Hour Minute Second-CustomText

This will give you file names like 20121001-010025-Wedding.CR2 and the images will always be in chronological order.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

rymy
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 02, 2012 01:30 |  #10

Mark-B wrote in post #15068284 (external link)
Forget about sequence numbers and use the date & time from your Exif data instead. Set the format like this during import:

Date(YYYYMMDD)-Hour Minute Second-CustomText

This will give you file names like 20121001-010025-Wedding.CR2 and the images will always be in chronological order.

I'll try it but with that thought I should have seen my files from this weekend following some kind of time order but it didn't. IT was jsut all of the pics form card 1 and then all of he pics from card 2

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 02, 2012 07:11 |  #11

Cant you just organise all the shots by date taken in LR. That should put everything in one time line no matter what camera took it. I think they might all have to be in the same folder or collection for this to work.
It might not help with the final output but it will with the workflow......i think.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,995 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 02, 2012 08:58 |  #12

In LR whatever means you select to pick images to display in the Gird/filmstrip, if you have the Sort Order set to Time Captured, and provided that you have you the camera clocks set correctly, they will be in chronological order with the oldest first. So if you select to display All Images then every image in the catalogue will be displayed. Select Time Captured and they will all be in chronological order. Pick a different sort criteria say Label, and they will be grouped by label colour Red, Yellow, Green etc. There are about a dozen options for the sort order in LR.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 02, 2012 09:39 |  #13

Lightroom does have the feature to sort imported files by Capture Time. Look under View - Sort - Capture Time.

However, this assumes your cameras were synchronized in the first place or they may still be out of sequence even when sorted by Capture Time.

If your cameras' clocks are not synchronized you can correct the times in Lightroom by using the Metadata > Edit Capture Time feature... then sort all the files by Capture Time. But its advisable to make sure your cameras are synchronized in advance to avoid such headaches.

Gear List

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 02, 2012 09:42 |  #14

rymy wrote in post #15068212 (external link)
Well hot Damn!!! So if RM1 on one camera body and RM2 on the other camera body and start off both cards with the file number 0000 they should have stay in the same sequence upon import?

I agree with the above advice: Make sure your camera times are set as closely as possible.

Then in Lightroom, after you import both cameras' sets into a folder or collection, you can manage them in a variety of ways - the simplest of which is to just sort the whole batch by Capture Time so they're in the correct chronological order.

Don't forget that you can still apply other filters within the Library module, such as filtering by camera body or by lens type.

When I had a two-camera shoot with my wife as the second shooter, I renamed my files as shootname_0001 and I renamed her files to shootname_1001. So, I can easily sort by Capture Time if I want to see chronological, or sort by File Name if I want to separate the two cameras, without going into the library filters. Of course, the library filter is still there if I want any additional organization.

If your camera times don't line up precisely, Lightroom provides a tool to tweak the timestamp on the photos after import. In my case, I thought the cameras were set to precisely the same time, but I still had to advance the timestamp on the second camera's photos by about a minute and a half, to get things to line up perfectly.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

inernets
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 02, 2012 19:07 |  #15

I can possibly help you out. Like others have said, first step is to make sure your cameras clocks are synced. I have a hard time with this, the best thing to do is sync them before the shoot and make sure that both cameras are within 1 second of each other. You can also take a photo at the same time with both cameras and sync the photos later in lightroom.

Here is a thread on my sync camera hell:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1217726

Step 2: Make sure the camera bodies are recording different names. Like my 5D II records images : IMG_0001 while my 1D III records them: 1DN30001

Step 3: While importing the photos into lightroom, upload them all into one folder. The easiest way to do this is to make a folder like "C:\Photos" where you keep all of your photos. From the import window under "DESTINATION" make sure you have nothing selected under "Into subfolder" and it should put all the photos in "C:\Photos\YEAR\DATE\a​ll your photos here."
So if you uploaded a shoot from today they would all go in "C:\Photos\2012\2012-10-02\". You should import one camera's files, once it's done do the same thing with the other camera's files and they will all be imported into that one folder.

If you have multiple shoots you can import the photos into a SUBFOLDER with a specific name, so they would go into "C:\Photos\SPECIFICFOL​DER\photos go here".

Step 4: once you have the two cameras files in photoshop, you need to make sure the photos are synced. Read through my thread above to find the best ways to sync for you.

Hope this helps

1D III - 1D II - 5D II - 50D - 40D - EOS M.
16-35mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.0 . 1.4x III, 2x III. 270ex, 270exII, 430ex, 600ex

sponsored links

2,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
Keeping files in sequence?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.