Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on 6D

munzzzzzzz
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2012 09:03 |  #1

I'm on the fence between getting a 5DII and waiting for a 6D. I had a couple of chats with people at Canon Tech Support yesterday (got cut off from the first one so called back a second time). I didn't get any "ground breaking" new information, but both techs I talked to had played with a 6D, so I thought I'd share what I learned.

- As most have already figured out, the 6D is not intended to be a replacement for the 5DII. While the 5DII can be looked at as a "pro" level camera, that is not the intention of the 6D. It is a "pro-sumer" camera intended to be in line with the 7D. That doesn't mean "equal to". Where the 7D's target is sports, the 6D's target is portraits and landscapes. Build-quality, size, etc. wise, though, they are supposed to be very similar. In other words, if you are mainly into sports, go for the 7D, if you are mainly into portraits and studio go for the 6D, but if you want something that will excel at both, you're going to have to fork out the cash for the 5DIII, or have the benefits of both a crop and a full frame by buying a 6D and a 7D.

- The 6D will NOT have a PC sync port. With how common wireless triggers are for off camera lighting, I guess this isn't that big of a deal, but I thought it was pretty odd for a camera that's specifically targeted to be for portraits to not have one.

- While it just has the 11 focus points, it will inherit some of the focus system of the 5DIII, specifically the iFCL technology. The tech's explanation was that, for example, if you are tracking someone wearing a white jersey, it will recognize the color of that jersey and try to keep focus on that object as it moves. When I researched iFCL a bit, it seemed to imply that iFCL does use the focus points to determine where to meter, but it didn't really say that it actually helped AF at all, so whether or not the AF will actually be improved by iFCL is debatable. This may be some new functionality, or the tech may have just been smoking something. Anyone with more knowledge on the subject is welcome to chime in.

- The "silent shutter" mode of the 6D is supposedly even quieter than that of the 5DIII. The tech said he couldn't believe how quiet it was. Of course, this may or may not make a difference to you depending on how you will use it.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

sponsored links
Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 02, 2012 09:34 |  #2

Interesting. The 6D not having a PC port is a non issue. Many people won't need it, and those that do can simply but a hot shoe-PC port adapter for next to nothing.

The silent shutter sounds awesome, and could be a very attractive selling point for those that shoot weddings and recital type events.

As far as waiting, it depends how soon you want to act. I'd wait for the 6D to see how it performs. I'm sure there will be plenty of lightly used 5d MKII's still around, maybe a few new ones too. I don't think you can really go wrong waiting.

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 02, 2012 09:44 |  #3

I'd love to know if the 6D will be able to take full advantage of the 600EX-RT functions. For example, using slave units in manual mode.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,265 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2012 10:56 |  #4

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #15069314 (external link)
- As most have already figured out, the 6D is not intended to be a replacement for the 5DII. While the 5DII can be looked at as a "pro" level camera, that is not the intention of the 6D. It is a "pro-sumer" camera intended to be in line with the 7D. That doesn't mean "equal to". Where the 7D's target is sports, the 6D's target is portraits and landscapes. Build-quality, size, etc. wise, though, they are supposed to be very similar. In other words, if you are mainly into sports, go for the 7D, if you are mainly into portraits and studio go for the 6D, but if you want something that will excel at both, you're going to have to fork out the cash for the 5DIII, or have the benefits of both a crop and a full frame by buying a 6D and a 7D.

I agree that the 6D is not a "Pro" camera. But I disagree with your evaluation of the 7D. I consider the 7D and 5D Mk II to both be "Pro". In many ways the 7D is even more "Pro" than the 5D Mk II.

I believe the 6D is targeted at Rebel or 60D users. It's the only logical explantion for using SD cards.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2012 11:07 |  #5

Well, I called back today (figured why not) with a couple other questions. I did ask about the continuous AF w/ compatibility for STM lenses and they didn't seem to think it was going to include it. This tech also compared it to a 60D whereas one yesterday compared it to the 7D. I guess that may have been more of a personal assessment than information they'd been given, so don't consider it fact.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 02, 2012 11:12 |  #6

msowsun wrote in post #15069829 (external link)
I agree that the 6D is not a "Pro" camera. But I disagree with your evaluation of the 7D. I consider the 7D and 5D Mk II to both be "Pro". In many ways the 7D is even more "Pro" than the 5D Mk II.

I believe the 6D is targeted at Rebel or 60D users. It's the only logical explantion for using SD cards.

I would put 7D as 'semi pro', pro would be the 1dx. Can't afford 7k for body? Get a beefy super rebel. Not saying it can't be used for pro work; just where it's intended to be slotted. Build quality has just been *so* good and picture quality 'good enough' it's gained more popularity among those who would normally go for the 1dx.

[6D]

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 02, 2012 11:29 |  #7

My Rebel uses CF cards. It's Pro! :D

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 02, 2012 11:37 |  #8

It's the only logical explanation for using SD cards.

Why's that? Bent pins are a real problem with CF cards, and I'm sure Canon Repair has the data to back it up.

UHS-1 can write up to 45MB/S, which is faster than many CF cards.

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2012 11:39 |  #9

Another possible reason for SD is that, with a smaller body and the larger full-frame sensor, there may not have physically been enough room for CF. I suspect it's also largely because, like ddk632 said, all of the newer non-pro cameras (both Rebels and 60D) use SD cards and since the users of those cameras are the target audience, it's cheaper for them to upgrade (and thus more likely) if they don't have to replace their SD cards.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2012 13:06 as a reply to  @ munzzzzzzz's post |  #10

I read a brief piece about the 6D in a UK photo magazine today. I use a 5DII and there was absolutely nothing that the 6D offers that remotely tempts me.

The low light metering is about the only positive, everything else is worse as far as my personal choices are concerned. Thats why its the 6D and not the 4D.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,265 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2012 13:33 |  #11

Lowner wrote in post #15070469 (external link)
Thats why its the 6D and not the 4D.

Maybe they should have called it the 8D. ;)

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,730 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 02, 2012 13:38 |  #12

..It's the only logical explantion for using SD cards.

The world is going SD. It's just a matter of time before all are assimilated. CFs time has come and gone. There are a few dinosaurs still around but they will soon die off.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2012 13:39 |  #13

msowsun wrote in post #15070569 (external link)
Maybe they should have called it the 8D. ;)

Agreed, that really about where it sits in the range.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 02, 2012 13:55 |  #14

Lowner wrote in post #15070586 (external link)
Agreed, that really about where it sits in the range.

FF probably puts it above the 7D; so 6.5D maybe..

[6D]

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,730 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 02, 2012 14:00 |  #15

w0m wrote in post #15070666 (external link)
FF probably puts it above the 7D; so 6.5D maybe..

Not for sports, wildlife, and action. Why the strong need to line everything up in order? Can't we just accept that we have two different tools targeted to two different groups of photographers? It's like a screw driver and a pliers. Both are tools and have their uses but I wouldn't rank one's usefulness above the other. It's the same thing, we have crop and FF and each is useful in it's own way.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

19,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
Info on 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.