Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 11 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how to get audio? wedding ceremony

mystic97z
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2011 22:10 |  #1

a friend of mine and i are starting to do wedding highlight videos with the option of a ceremony video. We currently have a rode mic in the hot shoe of a 5d, and a mic the groom wears on his tux to a recorder in his pocket. What other options are out there? it seems like the mic the groom wears pics his audio up great, but for example you can't hear the bride, or the pastor

sponsored links
mystic97z
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2011 22:19 |  #2

i did a little looking around, it seems like the zoom h4n is a good choice, just wondering if i put that onto a stand somewhat close to the bride and groom at the alter, will it capture good audio to dub in over video?

Photo99
539 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 11, 2011 23:20 as a reply to  @ mystic97z's post |  #3

I always put a wireless lav on the pastor since he speaks the most. The rest of the wedding I'm not concerned about audio I always add music.

Photo99

andresme
33 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 12, 2011 03:16 |  #4

I usually mic the pastor as well. You can also hook up your h4n to the house mixer if there is one (like at a church). If you can rent another lav, you could also mic the bride through her flowers, but that gets a little tricky to hide

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 12, 2011 04:30 |  #5

Mic priest
Mic near bride groom for vows(way more important than priest)
Room Mic for picking up church music

When you are done you should have several music layers in your editor, you need to cut parts from different areas of each layer. For example, cut everything but the music from the room Mic layer.

Full wedding videos (when done well) are extremely hard.. my last one was over 2 hours, sometimes the bride and groom want 100% of the ceremony with original music, be prepared for that.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

mystic97z
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2011 06:05 |  #6

Kento wrote in post #13088790 (external link)
Mic priest

Full wedding videos (when done well) are extremely hard.. my last one was over 2 hours, sometimes the bride and groom want 100% of the ceremony with original music, be prepared for that.

ya that's what i'm expecting. I can't see what else they would want besides the whole thing?

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 12, 2011 10:10 |  #7

I do mostly catholic weddings over here in Europe, over half of my customers want me to do a shortened version of the ceremony to make it more bearable. Keep in mind, many couples don't just want the video for themselves, they often hand out copies to friends and family to watch... almost 2 hours in the church is nearly unbearable for even the closest of family members :)

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 13, 2011 19:49 |  #8

What lav do you have? You might want to get one that is omni directional so you can pickup the bride too. You can also patch into the church mic system if the pastor is using a mic for the ceremony.

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

mystic97z
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 13, 2011 19:58 as a reply to  @ Rellik's post |  #9

We have a mic the groom will wear, and a h4n I plan to put on some type of stand as close as I can get to the bride and groom. I guess on the grooms side so it will pick up the brides voice better. And I guess we really need something else in case they have a child or music from the back right? I have a rode mic I could put on a camera next to that for audio purpose only?

jsilvestri
60 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 15, 2011 13:49 |  #10

well if your wedding has a microphone up front for the pastor already. just use an xlr out of the main system for the sound system that is already in place and record the audio on your laptop ipad or iphone. thats what i do. just carry some xlr converters. works beautifully

Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D
Canon 18-135mm
Transcend 16GB c10
Adobe CS5 Master Collection
Photomatix Pro 4.0

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 02, 2012 01:55 |  #11

If you want to hear individuals clearly, they each need to be mic'd seperately. Anything else is going to make whoever isn't wearing a mic sound distant....that's the facts.
Groom wears one, bride won't be heard very well....Pastor will sound distant as well
Pastor wears one, bride and groom are gonna sound distant.

So, the correct solution is going to require some sort of a small mixer at the camera to get all those inputs down into one or two channels. Alternately, if you're doing a muti-camera shoot, put one microphone on each channel of the cameras and mix it when you edit the footage down later. With a two camera shoot that would give you 4 channels of audio to play with. You just have to be careful of sync'ing the footage from the two cameras up to avoid the dreaded lip flap.

If that is beyond your budget or capabilities, you might want to try and find a place close to where the pastor, bride, and groom will be actually reciting the vows and place a mic there. Not quite as good as having everyone mic'd individually but workable.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 02, 2012 01:56 |  #12

Armando210 wrote in post #15068121 (external link)
Hi dear these are all good suggests but i just want to say you here that i am a event planner andi have a proper team of mine and we have a DJ team for this type of events because the DJ's are organised every thing of music which have need for this event i think you should be contact with the DJ team or a event planner then you can get a rite idea otherwise this is also nice suggests.....

They're talking about getting good audio from the wedding ceremony, how does a DJ have anything to do with that???

Also, sentence structure helps. Periods and commas can be your friend, as well as a friend to anyone who has to try and read what you've written.

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 02, 2012 08:58 |  #13

DennisW1 wrote in post #15068432 (external link)
.....Also, sentence structure helps. Periods and commas can be your friend, as well as a friend to anyone who has to try and read what you've written.

While I appreciate where you are coming from, we all have different levels of expertise in language. The poster may not use English all the time so don't knock them. The point made was a valid one.

If there is a wedding planner/event organizer involved it is best to try and get on their good side. They can make your job easier, or more difficult, without much effort on their part. They will have established what the situation is with any available PA system, and could probably arrange a line out if possible.

BTW, you probably should have used a semicolon after "friend" ;-)a

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

HumphreyB
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 02, 2012 14:28 |  #14

Yup, Zoom h4n will work nicely.

7D, 24-70mm f2.8 L MKII, 50mm f1.4 USM, 18-135mm IS
Youtube (external link)
Website (external link)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 02, 2012 17:05 |  #15

John Sims wrote in post #15069286 (external link)
While I appreciate where you are coming from, we all have different levels of expertise in language. The poster may not use English all the time so don't knock them. The point made was a valid one.

I know right... the world is slightly bigger than the borders of the United States ladies and gents, and not everybody on the planet that uses the internet speaks English as a first language.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

sponsored links

4,190 views & 0 likes for this thread
how to get audio? wedding ceremony
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.