Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 08:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ritz (Wolf) Camera Liquidation

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 02, 2012 16:51 as a reply to  @ post 15029762 |  #31

Out of curiosity I stopped by the nearest Wolf's Camera to see what, if anything might be of interest. Had been to this store in the past and got the impression that it was more focused on printing and precessing than gear so I wasn't expecting much. Everything was pretty much picked over with lot's of P & S pouches and other random stuff. A couple Lowepro bags including one that I've been looking for (a Toploader Pro 75) which was only $40 (after 50% off) but missing the shoulder strap. Probably should have gotten it since I have a bunch of straps (including the one from my Toploader 65) I could use, but I resisted. Just too many bags around the house...

I was looking for a C-PL to use with my Tamron 70-300 VC and they did have them in 62mm. Of course, it was their "Quantaray" house-brand which doesn't have the best reputation or cachet but noticed the "Professional" labeled version looked an awful lot like it's made by Marumi. I have a couple of their filters and they've been just fine. Yes, I know there are those who would insist my images would be crap unless I pay the big bucks for a B&W, but just I don't use a C-PL often enough to even remotely justify it. After the 70% markdown it was about $20 and yes, I'm fairly certain it's a re-branded multi-coated Marumi DHG (typically seems to go for about $40-50) which was ranked just behind the B&W's in the LensTip comparison. So, for $20 I'm happy.

Still might have to check out the Ritz (or whatever it is) near work to look for that Toploader...

sponsored links
gpswiz
674 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2012 18:02 |  #32

Another one bites the dust. I will miss them...

Body - 5DIII, 50D
Souls - 85L f/1.2, 24-70L, 24-104L f/4.0, 70-200L IS f/2.8, 100mm Macro, MP-E 65mm, 18-200mm IS, nifty 50
Companions - 580EX ii, MT-24EX, BG-E2N, Gitzo G1564L monopod, , Gitzon GT3541, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4, This hobby is getting too expensive....

vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 02, 2012 18:47 |  #33

Now 50-70% discounts on everything, I may give this another go at my local Wolf store.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

JLai81
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 02, 2012 20:36 |  #34

vsg28 wrote in post #15071856 (external link)
Now 50-70% discounts on everything, I may give this another go at my local Wolf store.

Still only 20% off all cameras and lenses per their website.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Gear List

bettyn
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 02, 2012 20:48 |  #35

sonofjesse wrote in post #14982617 (external link)
Our store did that about 3 years ago. Even with 30-40% off and then paying tax it was still about 20-30# than online. In my case it was not a HOTT deal.

Found the same here in Naples FL Ritz Camera. They had a nice Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II. It was still more money than B & H and Adorama. Will check again in case the price drops as they get closer to closing. Some fool will probably buy it at their price, however. People in my area have more money than sense.

My Gear: 6D, 7D, EOS-M w EF-M 22 f2 STM and EF-M 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, 17-40L f4, 24-70L f2.8, 100 f2.8 non-IS macro, 70-200L f/4 IS, 400L f5.6,, Canon 1.4x II TC, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II, Better Beamer. Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, 2 monopods, Manfrotto ballhead and pistol grip tripod heads.

yimoon2
41 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 02, 2012 20:53 |  #36

Same here in Athens, GA. They are selling Canon 7d by 1400 dollar!

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 02, 2012 23:39 as a reply to  @ yimoon2's post |  #37

By the narrow margins on big-ticket gear, I doubt there's going to be much in the way of screaming deals (a rarity is in these liquidations). There's a ton of mark-up on things like filters (especially filters) and other accessories (where stores typically make their money) so relative "bargains" might be found there with the markdowns - assuming there's anything of interest left on the shelves. The liquidators are there to get some sort of return on their "investment" so I wouldn't expect them to give anything away.

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,470 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 03, 2012 04:31 as a reply to  @ nasua's post |  #38

No wonder this place is going out of business! :rolleyes:
I actually have found local retail to be way overpriced when it comes to gear.

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

JTodd
325 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 03, 2012 06:58 |  #39

The Wolf and Ritz employees here worked off of commission and were worse than used car salesmen.

5D Mark II
| Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L II | Tamron 90 Macro | Sigma Macro Ring Flash | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT and BXRi 500 |

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 03, 2012 07:08 |  #40

Here's what you guys don't understand about business liquidations.

Once a company declares bankruptcy it either sells its inventory to a liquidation company and pays off its creditors; or it brings it liquidators to help them dispose of inventory to the public. In either case, its the company's creditors who are calling the shots at that stage, and they always want to recoup as much as possible of what was owed to them.

Consequently, you rarely see prices falling. The liquidators get a commission so they have every incentive to keep prices high; and the creditors want to get the best possible return. Its unlikely that the public ever gets a good deal on a bankruptcy sale unless you have inside information.

Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,401 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 03, 2012 09:40 |  #41

PixelMagic wrote in post #15073756 (external link)

Once a company declares bankruptcy it either sells its inventory to a liquidation company and pays off its creditors; or it brings it liquidators to help them dispose of inventory to the public. In either case, its the company's creditors who are calling the shots at that stage, and they always want to recoup as much as possible of what was owed to them.

Consequently, you rarely see prices falling. The liquidators get a commission so they have every incentive to keep prices high; and the creditors want to get the best possible return. Its unlikely that the public ever gets a good deal on a bankruptcy sale unless you have inside information.

maybe for lenses and cameras...but you can snag other accessories/bags for 50% off of B&H prices if you wait it out a bit...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 03, 2012 13:21 |  #42

PixelMagic wrote in post #15073756 (external link)

When stores went under 5-6 years ago you could snag deals these days everyone is following the Circuit City model. I don't know what the creditors expect in this economy but people don't go to an estate or liquidation sale to pay higher then retail. In fact when the Ritz near me shut down they also had a huge sale on the Boaters World (they own that too) side and the discounts were real unlike with the camera gear.

sponsored links

5,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ritz (Wolf) Camera Liquidation
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.