Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding in tent

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 27, 2012 10:53 |  #1

This will be my first wedding in a tent and ive been usually using OCF for the reception. Im trying to figure out where would you guys put 2 AB800's in this location.

http://www.grandviewev​ents.com/pages/outdoor​_ballroom.html (external link)

I would only be turning the lights on once it gets a little darker since i will be able to use the available light coming through the tent. So im just trying to see what would you guys do with this setup.

sponsored links
bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 27, 2012 12:58 |  #2

wow, that's a nice a$$ tent!
without going there to scout i'd initially think by the dj so the stands are sort of hidden out of the way.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2012 13:03 |  #3

i always have a light by the dj as well. tends to be the rule of thumb regardless of where i'm shooting.

i also find that alien bees are overkill as I tend to want ambient light which negates having high power strobes. A basic speedlight setup is what I use now for maximum portability (and ambient goodness!)

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 27, 2012 14:39 |  #4

I put light stands wherever I like, so long as they're not directly in front of a guest. I use smaller ones so I can move them around the venue easily. I don't try to light the whole room, just sections at a time, lighting the whole place evenly would take 4-6 strobes I figure.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 27, 2012 14:46 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #5

also depends on the time of the day as well. looks like that could be a nasty sunset to shot into. I think i would do as tim described. Set some lights up,probably speedlights with a tent, shoot into the dance floor for affect, use a flash on a camera bracket for some fill..My PW Tt5's and the Mini on the camera would work great...I would shoot in v/s trying to bounce off the tent...ive done it in the past and it seems light the dam ceilings are always way over exposed.. thinking it would be beter to shoot light into the area your gonna photograph into.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 27, 2012 19:39 |  #6

Last time i used strobes i stuck them in a cross pattern so one in the top left and one bottom right. I used them pointed directly at the dance floor as well. The reception starts at 7pm so ambient light outside will almost be gone. I saw a shot where it looked like the photog set up two light on each side of the dj stand, but my thing is i wouldnt be able to get the front light on them. I still use my 580ex for fill too. Will also only be lighting for the dance floor and thats it. Im gonna use the AB's because i dont have a power pack for my flashes yet.

This is the shot im talking about that i saw on google.

http://www.aelphoto.co​m/p828481792/hF20576F#​hf20576f (external link)

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 27, 2012 20:20 |  #7

I would likely cross light on opposite sides of the dance floor, wherever they're not obtrusive, and use the speedlite for fill. May try bouncing one or both of the strobes up into the tent's ceiling for softer, more even light, depending on what you're after.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 27, 2012 20:35 |  #8

Yea im gonna try to bounce this time around since it seems like i will be able too. Last wedding i used the strobes i wasnt able to with uneven ceilings. Maybe halfway through the night ill put one direct for some nice backlighting.

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 02, 2012 21:57 |  #9

i shot on the weekend and used 4 lights, 2 on light stands (canon strobes) and two on those cheap little plastic foot stands which I placed on Guest's tables (cheap vivitars since I can afford to replace those ones) I had very dynamic lighting and faces were nicely light from all angles - nothing lost in the shadows. However, the walls and ceilings in this venue were all black and have no similarity to the OP's tent question. Just thought I'd throw out the part about the cheap foot stands since I've been using them more and more these days. They can even be used as a constant unchanging ceiling-bounce light source.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 04, 2012 21:35 |  #10

Well the wedding is tomorrow. Going a couple hrs early to see about lighting setup and where im gonna put the couple/group shots

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,614 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 05, 2012 12:00 |  #11

I shot in a very large tent in July...
dance floor was pretty much in the middle... head table backed against the tent wall right in front of dance floor, and guests to both left and right of dance floor (4-5 tables deep in both directions)
2 flashes mounted to the tent poles going pretty much straight up (pretty much near the dance floor)
2 strobes - facing the head table (at an angle and from quite a distance) for the 1st dance/speeches/dinner, and then kitty-corner from one another on both sides of the dance floor, at around 45 degrees up, once the dance floor opened up
2 more flashes further away from dance floor, attached to tent poles, bouncing up
they had some paper ball thingies hanging from the ceiling of the tents - those caused a lot of shadows on the ceiling, but no impact otherwise

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

sponsored links

2,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding in tent
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.