Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III Underexposed

mladen77
113 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 03, 2012 14:54 as a reply to  @ post 14941922 |  #76

This is not scientific test, sensor and grey card are not perfectly parallel, and the grey card is not evenly lit, but it's a 2 min setup so let's not be petty.

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-psJLolPqreI/UEUJ27De0RI/AAAAAAAAB6E/CzG2J-syNUQ/s1178/exp_test_acr1.jpg

it looks to me as good exposure, WB picked up from lower right corner. Av mode.

EDIT: Metering info Center-Weighted Average

G+ (external link) flickr (external link) facebook (external link)WEB (external link)

sponsored links
guru
25 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 02, 2012 16:00 |  #77

I managed to solve the underexposure problem setting the shutter button to lock the exposure with the focus. The problem was when you lock AF, the exposure stays open and when you recompose your exposure changes rapidly. Now when the exposure is locked with the AF point, I don't have any underexposed images, and actually it has better metering than the 7D.

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 02, 2012 22:56 |  #78

After being dis-satisfied with the camera always under exposing I finally sent it in to canon. I will report back what they say.

I have had it since it was first released and it always seems to Meter 1-1.5 stops under my 1d mkIV. I also asked them to perform the light leak fix.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

treat
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 02, 2012 23:36 as a reply to  @ sempaidavid's post |  #79

You keep mentioning the image looks great in LCD then not so good when on the computer.

I shoot weddings and I switch between indoor/outdoor all day long. I have disciplined myself to always think about how bright the LCD is depending on what conditions i'm in. If i'm indoors, I dial it down. If i'm outdoors - I pump the brightness up. And EVEN then - i'll check the histogram to make sure all is good. I DONT use the auto brightness feature. Lovely feature in theory - but I cant trust it.

Hope it all works out when you get your camera back.

N2bnfunn
758 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 02, 2012 23:37 |  #80

Which firmware are you using with this problem, and what setup do you have in your menu, I have no problem. Try setting your camera to faithful. 0,0,0,0

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2012 00:18 |  #81

N2bnfunn wrote in post #15072956 (external link)
Which firmware are you using with this problem, and what setup do you have in your menu, I have no problem. Try setting your camera to faithful. 0,0,0,0

I have the same problem have since day one. I frequently have to shoot +2 - 3 stops. Never had I had to do this all the time.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

simon ­ n
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 03, 2012 03:33 |  #82

do you use the AE lock feature?

If i focus on a subject, and use back button for focusing, the shutter button is set for AE lock. when the shutter button is half pressed, the AE is locked on the focus point, but moving from the focus lock, the Exposure shifts both ways, depending on the lighting, but the original focus point is exposed properly.

I gather doing this is the correct way of using the 5D3`s metering?

I suppose you don`t have to use AE lock at all (i.e turn it off), and just use the metering from the back button focus or the shutter button??

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,635 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 03, 2012 15:16 |  #83

Using mostly AI Servo, my standard EC is +2/3 for ETTR, like I was used with the 30D.

I noticed though, that with One Shot AF, evaluative metering on the 5D3 gives considerable more weight to the selected AF point area than with AI Servo, a difference that doesn't take place with the 30D.

So, although the 5D3 lets us assign Servo/One Shot switching to a button of choice, the resulting metering difference dependant on AF mode is confusing and I probably won't be using that switching option often (if at all).

Lowyat
331 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 03, 2012 16:31 |  #84

Happened to me as well. Most of my shots are under-exposed. Any idea how to fix this? Which metering to use for casual shoots?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L USM | Canon EF17-40mm f4 L USM | Sigma EF50mm f1.4 | Canon 580 EX II | YongNuo YN560 III
Michaelboon Photography Page (external link)
Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 03, 2012 17:05 |  #85

Lowyat wrote in post #15075939 (external link)
Happened to me as well. Most of my shots are under-exposed. Any idea how to fix this? Which metering to use for casual shoots?

Are you using the center AF point or those on the side? the 5D3 uses the center point for metering so if you're focusing with the side point and the center is happen to point a brighter source, chances are the meter will be underexposure.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2012 17:20 |  #86

This thread is a really good illustration of why I don't use evaluative metering unless I have no other good options available to me.

Evaluative metering is a "magic" metering mode. Nobody really knows how it works, because it's the metering mode that tries to automatically get the exposure right. And just as the camera will occasionally (and perhaps even often) get it wrong if you let it choose the autofocus point to use, it will occasionally (perhaps even often) get it wrong if you let it automatically decide how to meter the scene.

This is why I generally use one of the other metering modes. Most often, I use spot metering in conjunction with manual mode because it lets me set the exposure based on the tone I want to assign to the area under the spot meter. It's about as much direct control as you can get.

I understand why Canon has evaluative metering mode as an option -- it's useful for neophytes who don't know anything about exposure. But I actually find it a bit surprising that it's used by professionals as often as it is. I suppose, like anything else, that once you have enough experience with it, it becomes predictable and, thus, useful in a setting where you must get the shot right. But because it's a "magic" mode, Canon is constantly tweaking it as they introduce new models, so you can expect to have to re-learn everything about it when you move to a new camera model. And this thread is evidence of that.

I really wish Canon would give us focus-point-linked spot metering in these cameras. It would eliminate most of the situations where I would be inclined to use evaluative metering mode (e.g., tracking a subject through changing light).

Canon really should at least give us one more metering mode: focus-point weighted average, which would work exactly as center weighted average does except the weighting point would be the focus point instead of the center. That would introduce a lot of predictability in a metering mode that would otherwise behave quite a lot like evaluative.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2012 17:25 |  #87

Phrasikleia wrote in post #14351057 (external link)
Why ignore your meter after all of that? Cut to the chase: just ignore it from the outset and read your histogram. If you're not clipping anything on the right, you're good to go.

That doesn't follow at all. There are plenty of situations in which a proper exposure will blow highlights. What matters isn't whether or not you're blowing highlights, but whether or not you're blowing ones that you care about.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

JLai81
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 03, 2012 19:39 |  #88

kcbrown wrote in post #15076118 (external link)
I really wish Canon would give us focus-point-linked spot metering in these cameras. It would eliminate most of the situations where I would be inclined to use evaluative metering mode (e.g., tracking a subject through changing light).

This is my main gripe...It's only available in the 1D.

Gear List

Petephoto
41 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 18, 2012 04:45 |  #89

sempaidavid wrote in post #15072859 (external link)
After being dis-satisfied with the camera always under exposing I finally sent it in to canon. I will report back what they say.

I have had it since it was first released and it always seems to Meter 1-1.5 stops under my 1d mkIV. I also asked them to perform the light leak fix.

So did you get your camera checked over? Any conclusions yet...

I've moved from a 5dmkii to a iii and the metering is quite different and like many here have experienced under-exposing but I just put it down to way the 5dMkiii evaluates differently - just something I've got to get used to. Quite annoying that the preview on the back is so different to the RAW output tho - histogram seems the way for now.

Would be interested to hear how you got on

Pete

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 18, 2012 08:20 as a reply to  @ Petephoto's post |  #90

I believe the slight underexposing is normal. I have 2 5D3s and compared it with a third 5D3, they ALL meter identically, and they all meter noticeably darker than the 2 Rebels I had before (which metered identically to each other as well). As-designed.

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

sponsored links

46,223 views & 1 like for this thread
5D Mark III Underexposed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.