Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on 6D

beachgardener
32 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 03, 2012 03:30 as a reply to  @ post 15073390 |  #31

i am looking forward to this camera, hope to see real results soon as it is released, i'm in the market it is designed for, prosumer, sea/landscape, portrait, low light, i have a 60d with one ef-s and also a couple ef lenses :cool:

K-5, DA 35mm f2.4, FA 50mm f1.7, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, F 35-70 f3.5-4.5, Ricoh 50mm f2, Takumar SMC 50mm f1.4, Helios-44-2 58mm f2, Vivitar 135mm f2.8 M42, Vivitar AT-1 M42 tubes,
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2012 03:50 |  #32

Lowner wrote in post #15073378 (external link)
You need to explain that because I don't understand what you are suggesting. Shooting studio in AI Servo? Why?

Because your subject is going to be moving, even if only a little, and you might be moving as well if you're not shooting on a tripod, so if you want to nail your focus you have to account for that fact. Shooting in one-shot mode means there will always be a delay between the time you focus and the time you take the shot. Shooting in servo mode eliminates this problem. This isn't something that previous crop cameras did very well, but the 7D (especially with firmware version 2.x) does it quite well indeed, and I would expect the same to be true of the 5D3 and 1DX. Might be true of previous 1D and 1Ds series cameras as well -- on that I can't say.

Don't bother to compose the picture? Whats that all about

With a 5D2 or a 6D, you're probably using the center point to acquire focus and then recomposing the shot to get the framing right. If you're shooting with a shallow depth of field then this will introduce focus error. Having the autofocus point in the right place when your subject is framed in the way you want is an advantage for that reason, if nothing else. It's one of the notable advantages the 5D3 has over the 5D2 in the studio (and the same is true of the 1Ds3 or 1DX over the 5D2 as well). The 7D, with its autofocus points spread in the frame to cover the same area in the frame as the 5D3 and 1Ds3, shares that advantage (and its spot focus capability means that you can be very precise about what you're focusing on).

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 03, 2012 08:04 |  #33

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15072864 (external link)
Yeah, but it only writes at a max of 90Mb/s:p:lol:

From Sandisk's website

"Write speed up to 90 MB/s (600X). Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending upon host device."

They don't state what clock speed they used for testing. I doubt real world devices operate in the range that they state. The 45 MB/s came from real world benchmark tests, readily found online. Some might be shocked at much the "rated" write speed and the actual write speed of CF card vary too.

The larger point is, if you're basing your decision to purchase a camera based on the media used, you probably don't need the camera to begin with.

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2012 14:20 |  #34

Getting back on topic... I just made the plunge and bought a 5D Mark II. I had seen complaints about the lack of joystick on the 6D so I wanted to see what this was about for myself. As has been discussed, the 60D has a control wheel/arrow pad just like the 6D. I ran over to Best Buy, and coming from a 40D, I wasn't fond of that control at all. It felt very awkward to use even when I pulled the camera away from my face and was very hard to reach without repositioning my hand. I know the 6D will take great pictures, I'm sure it focuses better in low light, and I may even miss some of the new features, but this was enough for me. Fortunately, Best Buy has a 30 day return policy, so if by chance I find that the AF isn't adequate for me, I can return it and stick with my good ol' 40D until the 5DIII comes down to a price point where I can afford it.

All of this said, please don't turn this into a fight over whether the 6D/60D controls are better or worse than the 5D Mark II/III. They're just different. I've seen some who prefer the 60D control, so clearly it's a matter of personal preference. However, if you're on the fence between a 5D Mark II and a 6D and are coming from a body other than the 60D, I'd highly recommend you venture out to a store to try both types of controls, as it might be enough to sway you to the 5D Mark II like it did me.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 03, 2012 14:47 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

msowsun wrote in post #15069829 (external link)
I agree that the 6D is not a "Pro" camera. But I disagree with your evaluation of the 7D. I consider the 7D and 5D Mk II to both be "Pro". In many ways the 7D is even more "Pro" than the 5D Mk II.

I believe the 6D is targeted at Rebel or 60D users. It's the only logical explantion for using SD cards.

Bang on! The 6D was designed to get 60D users like me to upgrade to full-frame. The controls and ergonomics are nearly identical. I am vacillating between 6D and 5D2, also. One attractive point is the SDHC of the 6D. I have a collection of them, and not a single CF card.

Gear List

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 03, 2012 14:58 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #36

What was Best Buy's price? There is a new rebate from Canon that puts it at $1799 I believe. Trying to make sure you got the best price since you have the return policy!

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 03, 2012 15:05 |  #37

TSchrief wrote in post #15075501 (external link)
Bang on! The 6D was designed to get 60D users like me to upgrade to full-frame. The controls and ergonomics are nearly identical. I am vacillating between 6D and 5D2, also. One attractive point is the SDHC of the 6D. I have a collection of them, and not a single CF card.

Ask yourself these three questions:
Do you need a PC sync port (personally I prefer it as I use mine, but fewer and fewer people still need them)

Do you need a joystick?

Do you need 1/8000 shutterspeed?

If you can confidently answer no to these questions then the 6D should be right up your alley. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,886 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 03, 2012 15:09 |  #38

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15075587 (external link)
Do you need a PC sync port (personally I prefer it as I use mine, but fewer and fewer people still need them)

I hot shoe sync port adapter runs about $10 for those that must have them.
http://www.amazon.com …-Connection/dp/B0016120​M8 (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2012 16:31 |  #39

st3mpy wrote in post #15075563 (external link)
What was Best Buy's price? There is a new rebate from Canon that puts it at $1799 I believe. Trying to make sure you got the best price since you have the return policy!

It was $1799 there too, that's the reason I jumped on it. Zero % interest for 18 months on my Best Buy card doesn't hurt either. :) Only downfall is I had to pay sales tax, but the threats of the IRS cracking down on Internet sales at tax time is enough that I probably would have been inclined to report it as a purchase on my taxes anyways. I really do like their return policy, though... I am sure some of the online places have similar policies but in the unlikely event I'm not happy with it, there shouldn't be much hassle.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2012 16:34 |  #40

TSchrief wrote in post #15075501 (external link)

If I was in your shoes, (unless I was unhappy with the 60D) I probably would have waited for the 6D. Like I said, I think it depends on what you're upgrading from. If you're coming from a Rebel, I also suspect you wouldn't have too much of a problem with it either. IMO it's us holdouts who had 40D's or 50D's that would be most likely to be unhappy with the 6D... not because it's inferior, just because it's different.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 03, 2012 17:06 |  #41

gjl711 wrote in post #15075601 (external link)
I hot shoe sync port adapter runs about $10 for those that must have them.
http://www.amazon.com …-Connection/dp/B0016120​M8 (external link)

The problem there is that it's in the hotshoe.:confused::mad: I primarily use the sync port with my ringflash, when I'd already have a transmitter in the hotshoe. Sure I could stack em, but if I have the choice between a camera that has a native PC sync port and one that doesn't, I'll take the one that does. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,906 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 03, 2012 18:01 |  #42

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #15075948 (external link)
If I was in your shoes, (unless I was unhappy with the 60D) I probably would have waited for the 6D. Like I said, I think it depends on what you're upgrading from. If you're coming from a Rebel, I also suspect you wouldn't have too much of a problem with it either. IMO it's us holdouts who had 40D's or 50D's that would be most likely to be unhappy with the 6D... not because it's inferior, just because it's different.

to me the camera makes more sense coming from a 40D than say from a 7D. I use a 40D and I have been wanting to go to FF for last couple of years. the 5D just cost to much at the time and plus it's a 4 year old camera.

this camera makes more sense from from any camera XXD and below. I am going from the 40D to this camera. the button layout doesn't matter that much. I went from a 10D to a 40D and the layout is different. I don't see it as that much of a big deal.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 03, 2012 18:59 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #15075948 (external link)

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15075587 (external link)

Do you need a joystick?

Do you need 1/8000 shutterspeed?

If you can confidently answer no to these questions then the 6D should be right up your alley. ;)

I haven't made the purchase yet. The one thing I REALLY LIKE about the 5D2 is that it is $400 cheaper than the 6D will be launched at. Sync speed means nothing to me. PC connecter, likewise. Most reviews put the 5D2 and 5D3 very similar in IQ, with the nod going to the 5D3 at higher ISO. My main sticking point is that the 60D has a better AF system than the 5D2. I had that system on the T1i, and did not like it. It (for me) will be a center-point only system. With that said, if I am shooting sports or other action stuff, I will mount my 70-200 or 100-400 on the 60D anyway. It has better AF, higher burst rate, and a 1.6 crop factor. The full-frame I get (5D2, 6D or 5D3, in that order) will be used primarily for static subjects anyway. I am really leaning towards the 5D2, if only to save $400 vs. the 6D and $1700 vs the 5D3. I can afford the 5D3, I just think it is overkill for shots of my grandson and my cats. Really? My 60D is overkill. This is just a hobby.

Gear List

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 05, 2012 04:30 |  #44

does someone know if the 11 focusing points are sensible like the 5d mark3 ?
i mean i know the focus system of the mark3 is amazing
i would like to know if the 11 focusing points of 6d are like the 5d mark2 (i did suffer in low light) or are techonogy from the mark3

thanks
cheers

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 05, 2012 16:26 |  #45

The 60D was a break from the earlier xxD line- so much more like the Rebels than the other xxD's- that it was often called the "Super-Rebel".. Now the 6D comes along.. AF system- while improved- looks- on paper- a lot like the 5D2's design- like the outer AF points- again- are directionally sensitive- not cross type. It uses SD cards like the 60D and Rebels.. Being introduced at a lower price point and being sort of marketed as a entry level full frame- with some limited features... I wonder what it's nickname will be ; The FF Rebel ? The Big Rebel ? But I do appreciate that Canon is also describing this as a Studio camera- i.e. portrait camera..

Maybe that is the fate of the 6D/6xD line- kind of a red headed step child- no offense meant to those out there that truly are..

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

sponsored links

20,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Info on 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.