Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yes it's another full frame quest. Help decide.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,204 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2012 10:52 |  #46

kcbrown wrote in post #15072934 (external link)
Teamspeed's offer of a 7D for $1k is quite good. I expect you can be sure he's treated his camera properly, and you'll become one of the many people who have purchased a 7D from him. :lol:

Still not officially up for sale yet, so it continues to gather a bit of dust. Like I stated previously, my last 7D went to my brother who wanted to get back into photography, and all he has is a flaky 40D that needs repaired. So we traded, and I picked up another 7D for fun. Since I no longer have a child in high school events, I am just not shooting as much any more and I cannot really rationalize having both a 1D4 and 7D. :(

Pro basketball starts up here soon, so I will see if I am getting a press badge again this year, that might change my mind.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 03, 2012 11:01 |  #47

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15072263 (external link)
I would suggest you first get a handle on your exposures and noise reduction/post processing before you get another camera that is going to produce the same results as the Rebel. Once you have a handle on all that, then perhaps your next shortcoming will be the AF and fps of the Rebel, and then you could definitely consider a different body. Just my opinion though. I am selling my 7D for just a grand and would love to sell it to you, but I wouldn't feel right. :D

I agree with TeamSpeed, I also started out with a T3i and eventually made the jump the the 7D. The results look pretty much the same but my keeper rate has gone up and I have more confidence in the AF.

Increased FPS is a blessing and curse at the same time, it's great to have but not so much if you're not using it right and having to cull a lot. Learning to time your shots will get you better results in any case.

Joel

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2012 12:35 |  #48

Kellym7 wrote in post #15071574 (external link)
my wife says I'm psychotic and she can't deal with me and my camera anymore!:shock: Now that I have convinced myself I don't want to go FF. I now want the 7d. (ok maybe she's right) Better and faster focus and 8fps.:-D Tell me why I don't need the 7D. I am shooting these football games for now but that's because daughters boyfriend his one of the hotshots. All wife cares about are the girls. Not a lot of reason to need the fast focus and 8fps. But the 3 or 4 dance competitions and big dance recital each year the focus could be a big plus. Is it worth spending another $1200. Tell me how else I can convince her I NEED this camera

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15072263 (external link)
I would suggest you first get a handle on your exposures and noise reduction/post processing before you get another camera that is going to produce the same results as the Rebel. Once you have a handle on all that, then perhaps your next shortcoming will be the AF and fps of the Rebel, and then you could definitely consider a different body. Just my opinion though. I am selling my 7D for just a grand and would love to sell it to you, but I wouldn't feel right. :D

TeamSpeed's advice is solid. The image files are almost indistinguishable from a 7D to a T3i. And I don't say this to talk down the 7D but to talk up the T3i. So, you'll probably run into all the same problems that you are having now until you can get a handle on things with the camera you already own.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2012 15:38 |  #49

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15074645 (external link)
Still not officially up for sale yet, so it continues to gather a bit of dust. Like I stated previously, my last 7D went to my brother who wanted to get back into photography, and all he has is a flaky 40D that needs repaired. So we traded, and I picked up another 7D for fun. Since I no longer have a child in high school events, I am just not shooting as much any more and I cannot really rationalize having both a 1D4 and 7D. :(

Sure you can! You need the 7D as a relatively light and compact alternative to the 1D4 in the event you need to "travel light", as it were. And you need a backup to your 1D4 because you never know when your 1D4 will pack it in and need a trip to Canon... :D

It's not like you don't have kids and family to take photos of, and it would sure be a shame if you suddenly couldn't because your one and only camera decided to take the week off...

Pro basketball starts up here soon, so I will see if I am getting a press badge again this year, that might change my mind.

Actually, that sounds more like justification to keep the 1D4 than the 7D! :lol:

Seriously, though, you keep coming back to the 7D. Seems like that should be a hint...

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,204 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2012 16:37 |  #50

Nah, I just use it as a backup, as I just cannot use the Rebel line, and a FF backup just doesn't cut it for what I shoot. The 1D4 is my baby though, it does everything well, I only wish it had some of the 7D focus modes.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2012 17:00 |  #51

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15075955 (external link)
Nah, I just use it as a backup, as I just cannot use the Rebel line, and a FF backup just doesn't cut it for what I shoot. The 1D4 is my baby though, it does everything well, I only wish it had some of the 7D focus modes.

I thought you'd used it relatively recently, but I may be mistaken.

All I can say is that if you sell it, I predict it'll be at most 6 months before you find yourself with yet another one. :lol:

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,204 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2012 18:34 |  #52

kcbrown wrote in post #15076041 (external link)
I thought you'd used it relatively recently, but I may be mistaken.

All I can say is that if you sell it, I predict it'll be at most 6 months before you find yourself with yet another one. :lol:

Probably, by then, the price will be at $700 for a 7D. :)

Kellym7
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 12, 2012 09:07 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #53

have really been working and practicing with the T3i. I am getting some better results. Thanks for all the help on this thread. I have decided to wait on a new camera based on things said in this post. I do believe when the time comes to purchase something new I will go with the 7D. But who knows by then I may change my mind to something else. (Maybe I should just buy 2 new ones:lol:)

Canon T3i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

sponsored links

7,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yes it's another full frame quest. Help decide.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.