Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Jul 2012 (Monday) 16:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo YN-622C Controller Trigger

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 02, 2012 14:15 |  #751

I hope so - I'll check both mine and I have another pair coming through the post so hopefully one will be on target

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,394 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 02, 2012 17:26 |  #752

I ordered mine on 9-24 from the Photogadget... The wait killing me *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,025 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 02, 2012 19:23 |  #753

Mine finally arrived yesterday. 33 days from order date. Don't remember who right now, but it may be last order. Three other things I ordered later from another supplier arrived almost two weeks ago.

Anyway, I have been testing with Di866 Mk1s (2) and Di866 MkII. Checked both speedlites directly on cameras (5DII and 5DIII) to confirm what functions there were available.

For some reason the MkII does not like manual mode. it switches to 1/128 power in manual on the flash and stays there. Then when switching back to ETTL the flash resets to ETTL and works.

It took me awhile to get the A:B ratios to work. I think it has to do with the amount of time it takes the YN-622 on the camera to communicate to the remote units. Once started waiting before half shutter press things are working as expected.

Does anyone have a Di866 MKII that they can confirm the manual mode peculiarity.

I did a quick test related to Super Sync. Unfortunately the only monolights I have with voltage controlled power are Savage M150s. Its apparent that they are firing at higher shutter speeds but they are so weak that the frame is way under exposed. When moving just over sync speed its obvious that they are being properly triggered. The gradient of the fall off is relatively steep which imply that they have a shorter tail even though they are weak monolights.

Now that I've taken the effort to download and look at Clive's latest version of his guide, I should note that my problems with the 855 MkII and manual was with HSS enabled. I'll have to confirm that it works in manual without HSS.

Did some more testing with first curtain sync set. Still the flash was acting weird. Changing to manual but not power adjusting. While the Mk 1s worked fine.

So, I went to the Nissin website to check on how to check for firmware update. The procedure the offered for checking the firmware didn't work on the Mk II. Did some menu hopping and found a settings menu that permitted me to see the firmware version. Long number that did not correspond to anything I saw on the website. There was a reset option as well. I did a reset.

And, now the flash is working as one would expect on the YN-622. When camera menu is set to M the flash switches to manual and power adjustments are passed to the flash.

Very cool. Groups A, B and C. All in manual, all power adjustable from the camera.
Or all in ETTL and ratio and FEC available to control the three groups.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,025 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 02, 2012 20:00 |  #754

I have GamiLight's biggest square softboxes on the two Di866 M!s. They are 6 feet from Mannie.

I was testing with ISO 100 and F1.2. The Di866s ran out of gas at 1/3200 of a second in HSS with the modifier on the speedlite. It was zoomed to 24mm with the wide angle diffusion panel down to even the light as much as possible. The light stand was my arm span from mannie's nose. That's just about 6 feet.

That ambient exposure is two stops less than sunny 16. i.e. need two more stops of speedlite to equal the sun at noon. Bringing the lights into about 3 feet would accomplish that but that gets them right on top of the subject. However, with the subject in open shade and without the softening modifier, I expect that would deliver enough light.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

-AP-
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 02, 2012 20:12 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #755

Here you go.. G12 with 580ex ii

IMAGE: http://www.apoaz.com/ImageShare/albums/userpics/10001/YN622_Test_on_G12.jpg

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

elv
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 02, 2012 20:55 |  #756

dmward wrote in post #15072012 (external link)
I went to the Nissin website to check on how to check for firmware update. The procedure the offered for checking the firmware didn't work on the Mk II. Did some menu hopping and found a settings menu that permitted me to see the firmware version. Long number that did not correspond to anything I saw on the website. There was a reset option as well. I did a reset.

And, now the flash is working as one would expect on the YN-622. When camera menu is set to M the flash switches to manual and power adjustments are passed to the flash.

Very cool. Groups A, B and C. All in manual, all power adjustable from the camera.
Or all in ETTL and ratio and FEC available to control the three groups.

Great Work!

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 02, 2012 20:57 |  #757

-AP- wrote in post #15072175 (external link)
Here you go.. G12 with 580ex ii

Nice work, thanks for that.

So you adjusted the manual output through the camera menu, or directly on the flash itself?

-AP-
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 02, 2012 21:02 |  #758

elv wrote in post #15072385 (external link)
Nice work, thanks for that.

So you adjusted the manual output through the camera menu, or directly on the flash itself?

Sorry, yes, All through the cameras internal controls.. :)

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2012 08:48 |  #759

shot with the yn622c's and the YN568ex's

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8048906286_0e5a4c0a25_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btmlinedan/8048​906286/  (external link)
Solo. (external link) by btmlinedan (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8037/8049171682_4a58e51059_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btmlinedan/8049​171682/  (external link)
setup shot (external link) by btmlinedan (external link), on Flickr

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

G..
190 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 03, 2012 09:30 |  #760

Does not look like a YN 568ex??? Anyway, main reason for writing, can I ask which BD/reflector that is?

A British Photographer in Paphos
www.paphosweddingphoto​graphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/papho​sweddingphotography (external link)

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2012 09:43 |  #761

well... it is a yn568...?

http://www.skaeser.com …Beauty-Dish-For-SL/Detail (external link)

with this mount :

http://www.studiohut.c​om …NHck8iK5bICFYZa​MgodqSMAOw (external link)

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

pillainp
203 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 03, 2012 12:57 |  #762

One nice thing about the YN-622C and the Sunpak PZ42X.

Normally, the PZ42X will only work with my 60D in ETTL mode - the camera throws an ERR 20 if I try to use the flash in Manual. This is the complete opposite of what I had with my SX20IS, where I could only use the flash in Manual mode - it would generate only a very weak pulse (not a flash) in ETTL.

Anyway, with the 622's, I can get the flash to work perfectly in either full ETTL or full manual, both on camera (622 ETTL pass-through) and as remote slave.

This means, happily, that I can use the 430EX II as slave to provide the off-camera main lighting (key?) and the Sunpak on camera in manual mode as a low-power fill light. The Sunpak is not nearly powerful enough to provide the main lighting for a picture.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

TridenTBoy
110 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 03, 2012 17:44 |  #763

Finally got them. Did a couple test shots. They work. Interestingly, the ETTL metering changed between my flashes. (I did do multiple fires in a row with a self portrait holding the flash itself being triggered to test. That might have changed the metering because it thought, "No flash there. It fine to do this much. OMG FLASH THERE, we need more powah!") The second exposure was brighter. But whatever. I'm not worried.

G..
190 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 03, 2012 23:35 |  #764

Apologies bmtlinden, I didn't doubt your word, I just thought the light on the BD looked oo big to be a YN568 - no offense meant. In fact having seen the link, I see the bottom line of the light is in fact the bracket, I just saw the whole thing as a solid case.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post the links.

A British Photographer in Paphos
www.paphosweddingphoto​graphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/papho​sweddingphotography (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 04, 2012 08:26 |  #765

-AP- wrote in post #15072405 (external link)
Sorry, yes, All through the cameras internal controls.. :)

Great stuff thanks.

Does the G12 have a wireless function menu then, to do ETTL ratios or the 3 manual groups?

If not that would put the G12 somewhere between a type A and type B camera.

sponsored links

714,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnuo YN-622C Controller Trigger
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.