Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 18:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need simple plain explanation for watermarks

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,570 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 11, 2012 18:22 |  #1

i grabbed this shot because it has a good example of what im looking for...

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/joshcrump/79075​20314/ (external link)

how is the easiest way to put a tag on my photos, such as is in the upper left corner of this shot...

i have DPP (of course), and Photo Shop Elements 10...

sponsored links
jherm87
385 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 11, 2012 20:44 |  #2

I just open a new document, erase the background. Design and make my watermark, usually in grey.

I save it to my computer, then just copy the image and paste it in a new layer, position and size it as I want. Grey let's you change the properties of the layer and the color changes with it

Hope that made sense, I'm sure someone has a better way

[T3i gripped] [18-55][55-250 4.5/5.6][28mm 1.8][40mm 2.8][50mm 1.4][50mm 1.8][Samyang 8mm fisheye][580exII, 430ex, 220ex]

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2012 12:28 |  #3

I myself don't watermark. While you are waiting for others to respond, you can do a search of this sub-forum for "watermark", it is a pretty often request.

A frequently used "solution" is an "action" by Russell Brown. I'm not sure if it works with Elements, maybe someone can give that info. If the action can't be made to work, in Elements you would have to find out how to make a layer work to apply a watermark.

As to DPP, I believe you're out of luck.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 12, 2012 12:35 |  #4

Create a new project in Elements with a transparent background. Create your design, then save it with a .png format. You should be able to copy it and paste it over your pic, resize it as needed, then save your pic with a different name so you don't screw up the original.

Hope this helps.
Example: Proof watermark

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,570 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 02, 2012 20:50 as a reply to  @ MT Stringer's post |  #5

okay. getting pissed here...

what difference does it make if create a layer with some simple text on it to 'overlay' (?) on a print (with my name and copyright symbol) when i cant get the layers to layer on top of each other or i just open the damn pic in microsoft paint and add text to it?

are there any OLD FASHIONED, sit in a class room courses in how to use these programs? i only have one computer so its pretty difficult to try and watch a youtube video while im trying to work on a file. besides i dont like flipping back and forth between screens and programs...

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 03, 2012 10:30 |  #6

Ltdave wrote in post #15072348 (external link)

what difference does it make if create a layer with some simple text on it to 'overlay' (?) on a print (with my name and copyright symbol) when i cant get the layers to layer on top of each other or i just open the damn pic in microsoft paint and add text to it?

What problem are you having exactly or what isn't working for you? Might be able to help if I understood your problem better.

Regarding training, although Elements has only a small portion of the full Photoshop feature set, it is still a powerful, complicated program and will take some study if you want to master it fully. I think I've spent almost as much money on books as on the software itself. My two favorites are (for Elements 9):

http://www.amazon.com …rds=photoshop+e​lemments+9 (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …3&keywords=phil​ip+andrews (external link)

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,897 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 03, 2012 11:25 |  #7

If you use a PC, try the DPP++ plug in:

http://digitol.free.fr​/forum/viewtopic.php?f​=13&t=76 (external link)

kirk

Kirk
---

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2012 16:05 |  #8

I'm not sure if I am reading your question correctly and apologize if I am stating the obvious. But you have to make sure that your watermark layer is on top of the layer stack. If not, there is a good chance another layer is obscuring it.

The advantage to using a separate layer as opposed to just "painting" right on the picture is that with the separate layer you are not destroying your picture and you can easily move the watermark around if you need to. You can also easily change the color and size of the watermark without affecting the underlying photo.

Blane
Gear List

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,570 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 05, 2012 20:40 |  #9

BTBeilke wrote in post #15075846 (external link)
I'm not sure if I am reading your question correctly and apologize if I am stating the obvious. But you have to make sure that your watermark layer is on top of the layer stack. If not, there is a good chance another layer is obscuring it.

The advantage to using a separate layer as opposed to just "painting" right on the picture is that with the separate layer you are not destroying your picture and you can easily move the watermark around if you need to. You can also easily change the color and size of the watermark without affecting the underlying photo.

yeah, i couldnt figure out where the button was or the what the command was to move the watermark layer to the top. i looked and looked. it was pretty frustrating since im more of a sit in a class and learn kind of guy...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 07, 2012 20:56 |  #10

You can drag and drop layers in the layer stack to move them, assuming there are other image layers together with your background layer and your watermark layer. There are also keyboard shortcuts for moving your layers around.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 07, 2012 21:07 |  #11

It can be pretty basic "layer stuff", click on the Text tool to create a text layer, set your font and color settings, set your layer opacity, and you can drag your text to "fit in". Then, there are more "fancy" approaches, using actions, to automate things, also you can create a "permanent" layer image using a pdf file.

Tony

sponsored links

1,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
need simple plain explanation for watermarks
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.