Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 18:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d Mark III KIT without lens =(

Frank ­ H
635 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 03, 2012 18:52 |  #1

So I purchased a 5d Mark III online from a Canon Authorized dealer. I found the seller on Ebay and made a "best offer' on the kit. I contacted them through ebay to make an offer on the kit with a battery grip and they messaged me back telling me to call them. We settled on a price and they sent me a Paypal invoice. So I went through with the purchase without using Ebay, but I did use Paypal.

I just received the package from UPS and the shipping package is sealed. I unpacked everything and the last thing I pull out of the 'kit' box is the white box that I know is supposed to have the lens inside. Feels a little light! Battery, charger, strap, RCA, USB are all there, but no lens.

With my receipt I received a notice that they will be closed from Oct.1 - Oct.9. So I emailed them letting them know that the 24-105mm F4L IS USM lens is missing, and am patiently waiting on an explanation or instruction of what I should do.

I contacted Canon and opened a claim, and we are just waiting for a response from the vendor.

I am pretty bummed! Also worried thinking about the possible outcomes.

I made sure the seller is on the Canon authorized dealers list (external link). But, Man, this seams real shady. Hopefully its just a simple mistake.

Also, the Ebay listing says "New updated version." How can I tell if my 5D MKIII is this updated version?

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2012 18:58 |  #2

Oh boy.
Be sure to contact PayPal.
To convenient they are closed for a few days.

Gear List

Modakai
20 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 03, 2012 19:29 |  #3

Contacting PayPal is a good idea.

I am curious as to who the vendor is you bought from. I know B&H and Adorama are both closed the the 1rst through the 9th as it is Succos (Jewish holiday).

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,712 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 03, 2012 19:30 |  #4

Yeah I'd open up a claim with paypal, they take like a week anyways to give the buyer time.

Sometimes it's just an honest mistake and they'll mail you the rest, don't freak out since you were the buyer paypal will have you covered.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 03, 2012 19:32 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

That's why Amazon and BH are so worth it for stuff like this.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 03, 2012 19:38 |  #6

If the deal was through ebay and paid by paypal, you would be able to get your money back at the end (Not to forget some painful weeks ahead). Now that ebay is out, I wish you luck but surely contact paypal first, seller next. May be by mistake they removed the lens and will actually send it to you if they accepted that at beginning and you are not a victim of the fine prints.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 03, 2012 19:39 |  #7

Sure is- it's the updated version that does not include the lens.

Spidey sense says "Call me... " - getting tingly- let's take it out of e-bay's control- no one to stand in your corner now.. Spidey sense - says when they make the deal outside of e-bay - again- tinglier.. What the heck- leave a note stating "not going to be open for the next few days" - so you won't be able to get a hold of us for the next 10 days or so- Spidey sense tingling... They probably should have mentioned why- well- they are out spending your money..

Updated version- that's the one that has that cheap, no-good for nothing, 24-105L conveniently removed... They are probably talking about the tape mod- where Canon fixed the light leak issue.. Really though- that's probably the least of your concerns right now.

So, did they ask for you to send the money for it as a "gift" too ?

Edit: This thread- a "poster child" kind of thing--to use a "reputable" vendor that is known- like, uh, B&H, Adorama, etc..

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 03, 2012 19:47 |  #8

BTW who is the Reputable deal? May be others can get a heads up here.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,371 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2012 19:56 |  #9

Eight_Blade wrote in post #15076597 (external link)
That's why Amazon and BH are so worth it for stuff like this.

or common sense....

Never work a deal with a vendor outside their ebay listings, not only is that a violation of their agreement, it is not likely to be good for the buyer.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 03, 2012 19:57 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15076683 (external link)
or common sense....

I'm convinced this is a sixth sense and some have it, others don't.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,371 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2012 20:02 |  #11

Eight_Blade wrote in post #15076688 (external link)
I'm convinced this is a sixth sense and some have it, others don't.

I agree, unfortunately. :(

I would love to see the listing in question to read through the listing to see what they might or might not have stated to help the OP's claim. It will be difficult to get anything out of paypal, because they don't really do too much on the "not as advertised" dispute these days.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

thallikar
323 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 03, 2012 20:02 |  #12

Sorry dude, But I will have to see what you bought. If you look at ebay, you should be able to see that lot of authorized dealers will have pictures of the kit but in the description will say body only etc. So, you have to be very careful. Unless we see the invoice on what you bought, I don't think anyone can blame the vendor.

But if everything is paid for the right items as per the listing and invoice, then u should be safe through paypal and even the credit card companies. Secondly, if it is authorized dealers like beachcamera, buydig, bhphotovideo etc, I am pretty sure they will fix the issue because they are very honest.

Good luck

http://500px.com/thall​ikar (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/64724969@N06/ (external link)

Frank ­ H
THREAD ­ STARTER
635 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 03, 2012 20:02 |  #13

lol Spidey sense..

@wayne.robbins, like mentioned above, Adorama and B&H are on vacation (closed) this week too.
I did pay paypal goods. NOT GIFT.
I did buy from a reputable company. Searched it on the canon authorized dealers and here on POTN, with good results. Actually the company name comes up a LOT here on POTN and all are good reviews or recommendations to buy from them.

I do regret doing the deal outside of Ebay, but too late now. Just seeing what can be done.

@maverick75, ya Im keeping it cool, and hoping it was a simple mistake. After all they are an authorized dealer and a reputable company.

@samsen, My receipt and invoice say Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera Kit with Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS USM AF Lens. No fine print to read.

@Modakai, I will have no problem sharing the seller after all is said and done as long as it doesnt break any POTN rules.

Im a little hesitant to make a paypal claim since I have not yet talked to the seller. If I make a claim with Paypal and Paypal contacts them before I get to talk to them, that might piss them off and they might not react the same way as if they talked to me first. I dont know..

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,371 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2012 20:04 |  #14

Well if they are reputable, and they state that you indeed purchased the body/lens kit, then perhaps they really did just mix up their pile where they pull the lenses and sell them separately vs a complete kit. Good luck!

You can indeed share online sellers on POTN, you just cannot do POTN deals with other members, and then call them out by screen name.

EDIT: The seller is PMI Digital per a PM from Frank, they are reputable, so I think talking with them once they reopen should yield good results.

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2012 20:16 |  #15

Just an FYI, there are several online retailers (and authorized resellers) that are able to sell the camera body only at a lower price than B&H or Adorama by purchasing the kit from Canon, removing the 24-105 lens and selling them both separately. On the surface, that seems a bit slimy to me, but if they are upfront about it, it really is a win-win because they are sharing their cost savings with the customer. Perhaps this practice has played into your situation somehow.

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links

5,565 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d Mark III KIT without lens =(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.