Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Sep 2012 (Friday) 13:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has earning money changed your passion?

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 25, 2012 22:31 |  #31

Gameface wrote in post #15041254 (external link)
Something about this keeps my mind at ease and entertained :)

Very pretty, but you needed to invent a computer to do that back then.

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15041325 (external link)
Man, am I the only one that liked linear over non-linear?

Some people are into whips & chains, too. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 07:52 |  #32

Good question, I am
Enjoying reading the responses.
My photography business is my second job, my first job allows me to do this one and I have one rule 'if I don't enjoy it, don't do it'. I have kept that rule and it has helped alot. I now turn down plenty of work because I won't enjoy it, but never tell the client that, I just let them know my schedule is full, and it seems to increase demand :)

Last year I did a 365 project and it really drained on me, but I got some cool shots, I miss doing it. With my kids and family I normally pull out the iPhone or G12, I mean, how many perfect shots of my kids do I need?

So to answer, money hasn't changed my enjoyment, just as I get better, I no longer feel the need to experiment all the time. I have the Disney world dilemma coming up soon. Imam sure I will bring the big camera and would live to keep to one lens.

One of the first reply posts mentioned about not really valuing social pics...I am similar....a few here and there are fine, I am enjoying just beginnin the moment more.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 30, 2012 07:37 |  #33

Yes and no,

My photography is commercial but my real photography passion is wildlife and landscapes. I spend time shooting that for the love of it. I did go through a season where the WORK component turned me off photography as it soon became work. I was warned by a fellow photographer that once I start photographing for work the enjoyment will go away and that it did. Just slowly coming back now. I actually mean this when I say it, in that I don't want to do anymore photography work, but just want to enjoy talking photos for myself.

I think one reason why I started to dislike working in photography was that I had to produce work as the client wanted it and not the way I thought it should be. When I shoot for me its for me, the way I like it.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 30, 2012 08:17 |  #34

I do it part time and what bothers me is that ever since I got my first slr (1981) I wanted a maco lens and could not afford it, now that I can afford I won't buy one because it wouldn't produce income.
However, when I'm on vacation, I look at is as a chance to shoot what I want.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Gameface
THREAD ­ STARTER
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 30, 2012 10:37 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

lensfreak wrote in post #15060323 (external link)
I think one reason why I started to dislike working in photography was that I had to produce work as the client wanted it and not the way I thought it should be.

You know, that is quite interesting.

After thinking about it, this may be my main problem. I remember in the past I would argue my cuts until I turned blue in the face. Sometimes taking criticism too far and actually arguing with the client that they were ruining the product. That was when I had passion.

Now, I just say "sure, no problem" while quietly shaking my head while making the changes.

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 01, 2012 12:28 |  #36

Gameface wrote in post #15060885 (external link)

After thinking about it, this may be my main problem. I remember in the past I would argue my cuts until I turned blue in the face. Sometimes taking criticism too far and actually arguing with the client that they were ruining the product. That was when I had passion.

Now, I just say "sure, no problem" while quietly shaking my head while making the changes.

While there will be some small requests here and there. However if you are getting alot of criticisms and change requests from your clients then I think perhaps you are somehow targeting the wrong clientele. There is a mismatch in expectations. This comes back to branding. Display portfolio of works that will attract the clients YOU want to shoot for. The ones that identify with your vision. Let your work (and price) do all the filtering.

While on the way home from another shoot yesterday, my wife (2nd shooter) and I remarked how blessed we are to have such opportunity to hang-out, have fun while getting paid doing it. It's a great feeling.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 01, 2012 13:30 |  #37

Gameface wrote in post #15060885 (external link)

Genres differ somewhat, but ultimately you must please all clients or they have no reason to pay you.

Ideally, clients will choose you based on your artistic eye. In that case, you listen carefully to their vision (which will normally be fairly scanty unless they are also visual artists--pro or amateur), and then execute their vision through your eye. This should not result in much if any debate, just "ooohs" and "aahs" when you deliver a work equal to your portfolio that surpasses their vision.

You should have no "passion" problem with that kind of situation.

If your clients are choosing you based on price, then they're not choosing you for your eye, they're choosing you to be a meat-based remote shutter release for their desires...and because they will be price based, they will drain you dry from 1,000 cuts.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 02, 2012 03:53 |  #38

I'm less passionate for personal stuff but I still love doing it for clients. I still like to snap around but I'm totally lazy about it...P&S at most but usually smartphone.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 02, 2012 10:51 |  #39

We are creative people. Some clients really don't have a creative bone in them and its to lower ones standard to a reduced level of creativity for the client. That is what I hate about photography as work

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 02, 2012 11:33 |  #40

lensfreak wrote in post #15069817 (external link)
We are creative people. Some clients really don't have a creative bone in them and its to lower ones standard to a reduced level of creativity for the client. That is what I hate about photography as work

Why would you lower your standard of creativity for a client?

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 02, 2012 12:17 |  #41

lensfreak wrote in post #15069817 (external link)

Depends on what you're doing to give them confidence in your creativity. You can be "Red Bull" to your client's desires--take them and give them wings beyond the client's imagination--or you can just be bullheaded about it.

Spends some time watching celebrity interior decorators on television. They listen to the client and give the client a "yes, I hear and will run with your desire" and then give them >BAM!<.

It is, after all, the client's money. If an artist wants absolutely to do only his own thing, he can do it on his own dime and call it fine art.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Gameface
THREAD ­ STARTER
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 02, 2012 13:44 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, anyone who has worked with corporate suits knows their idea of what is cool and what is cool are 2 different things. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and give them what they want, even if as a viewer and creator you would not go that direction.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2012 13:54 |  #43

RDKirk wrote in post #15070230 (external link)
Depends on what you're doing to give them confidence in your creativity. You can be "Red Bull" to your client's desires--take them and give them wings beyond the client's imagination--or you can just be bullheaded about it.

Spends some time watching celebrity interior decorators on television. They listen to the client and give the client a "yes, I hear and will run with your desire" and then give them >BAM!<.

It is, after all, the client's money. If an artist wants absolutely to do only his own thing, he can do it on his own dime and call it fine art.

Well said.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 03, 2012 13:41 |  #44

Just started to notice that I never really carry my camera around anymore for hobby reasons.
If I am going somewhere scenic, then I definitely will, but otherwise I don't take it out of the house as much as I used to..

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 03, 2012 21:58 |  #45

Of course it has, my passion is to make money with my camera, that's why I charge for my photos.
This way I can buy more photo gear...LOL
Now I have to deal with customer service...

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has earning money changed your passion?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.