Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 02:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Much To Charge Per Photo???????

Heycoop ­ Photography
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 03, 2012 02:11 |  #1

How much should I charge per photo taken. I am just starting out, and have no idea. The photos would be used for websites, and possibly advertising? Thanks.

Body: Canon 450D Gripped
Lenses: Canon 70-200 F4 L, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 1.4x Tele Converter
Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

sponsored links
Moppie
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 03, 2012 02:38 |  #2

One million dollars!!!!

With out any context, understanding of actual use, budget constraints of the customer, your overhead and cost of doing business it is impossible to answer such a question.

If they are motorsport photos (and I suspect they are) then the local market is very limited, very small and usually quite unwilling to spend money.

There are a small number of people working in it profitability and they do so by having fantastic business skills.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 03, 2012 02:44 |  #3

Moppie wrote in post #15073330 (external link)
One million dollars!!!!

With out any context, understanding of actual use, budget constraints of the customer, your overhead and cost of doing business it is impossible to answer such a question.

If they are motorsport photos (and I suspect they are) then the local market is very limited, very small and usually quite unwilling to spend money.

There are a small number of people working in it profitability and they do so by having fantastic business skills.

Okay... Ill try give you a little more info. It is for the V8 Supertourers Fanbase website, they said they would be willing to purchase a few photo's and were wondering how much I charge. They would use them on their website. I am not selling these photos to anyone else, so they would be exclusive to this website. Budget constraints aren't really a worry, as they would only be purchasing maybe 5-10 images, but obviously they wouldn't want to overpay. Do you reckon you could give me a bit of an idea of how much to charge now?

Thanks Moppie :D

Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 03, 2012 07:13 |  #4

How much are similar images in sizes on Istock?

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 03, 2012 07:19 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

$72.43

+GST

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 03, 2012 13:30 |  #6

glumpy wrote in post #15073791 (external link)
$72.43

+GST

Haha, I wish... If I had that much money for every photo I took, I might actually be able to afford some decent equipment!

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 03, 2012 22:03 |  #7

Why sell 5000 photo's for one dollar when you can sell one photo for $5000.
I wonder how long will it take me to sell 1 million photos @ $1.00 each ? after taxes i am still broke..

good luck , keep shooting,
Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 03, 2012 22:12 |  #8

Joe300 wrote in post #15077116 (external link)
Why sell 5000 photo's for one dollar when you can sell one photo for $5000.
I wonder how long will it take me to sell 1 million photos @ $1.00 each ? after taxes i am still broke..

good luck , keep shooting,
Joe

I only wish I could get a photo worth $5000... Good point though

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2012 22:41 |  #9

CaterhamF1 wrote in post #15077146 (external link)
I only wish I could get a photo worth $5000... Good point though

...hi CaterhamF1: the price that glumpy quoted would be the standard industry rate based on the usage you stated. I just ran it through my calculator and came up with $95.00 per image + GST: so we are both pretty much in the same ballpark. (Of course you wouldn't be registering for GST)

As I said in your other thread: you have got a lot to learn and you don't really need to be looking at selling your photos right now. If you stumble into an opportunity like this one by all means go after it: but if you can't wrap your head around $72.43 being a reasonable rate for an image then you simply aren't going to make anything other than enough to buy you some fish and chips after your next shoot.

Look: you live just down the road from me. Get permission from your parents for me to pop around to your place for an hour or so next week and I'll give you some advice on how to proceed from here.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 04, 2012 07:29 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

I have to admit BB, my quote was somewhat Tounge in cheek.

While I believe that is what the pics are worth, my experience here in Oz with shooting V8 supercars and drag racing amongst other interests with web sites leads me to believe he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting that kind of money.

I totaly agree with your fish and chips comment however. That's exactly the reason I stopped shooting this kind of work... Well all automotive work actually.
I don't think there is any way to make worthwhile money out of it. The biggest problem is people like the OP himself. Cars have a large " fan" following and there are loads of people that turn up to the track, some armed with serious equipment, ( you should see them at Bathurst!) and they blaze away and are stoked just to see their pics published. Payment isn't even a consideration.

Now things may be Different in NZ, I'll get a close up look when I am there in 3 weeks to shoot a job over the weekend, but I tend to think based on a few people I have spoken to that do shows and track events in the US it's pretty much the same.

This being the case, I don't think there is much to be gained other than the fish and chips you indicated in the automotive market. I'm sure there exceptions of course but to me it comes down to a situation of do it for love because odds are 100:1 against you will be able to do it for any decent money.

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 04, 2012 08:06 |  #11

glumpy wrote in post #15078307 (external link)
I have to admit BB, my quote was somewhat Tounge in cheek.

While I believe that is what the pics are worth, my experience here in Oz with shooting V8 supercars and drag racing amongst other interests with web sites leads me to believe he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting that kind of money.

I totaly agree with your fish and chips comment however. That's exactly the reason I stopped shooting this kind of work... Well all automotive work actually.
I don't think there is any way to make worthwhile money out of it. The biggest problem is people like the OP himself. Cars have a large " fan" following and there are loads of people that turn up to the track, some armed with serious equipment, ( you should see them at Bathurst!) and they blaze away and are stoked just to see their pics published. Payment isn't even a consideration.

Now things may be Different in NZ, I'll get a close up look when I am there in 3 weeks to shoot a job over the weekend, but I tend to think based on a few people I have spoken to that do shows and track events in the US it's pretty much the same.

This being the case, I don't think there is much to be gained other than the fish and chips you indicated in the automotive market. I'm sure there exceptions of course but to me it comes down to a situation of do it for love because odds are 100:1 against you will be able to do it for any decent money.

...nah, I agree: if he is lucky he might be able to get a hamburger and coke with the fish and chips! Unless your connected there isn't much money in motorsports: in fact there isn't much money in sports period in NZ.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 04, 2012 08:58 |  #12

Thoughts from those doing this solely for a living:
http://www.youtube.com …=WkoKEQHlAmk&fe​ature=plcp (external link)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=fXavS_IY42A (external link)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=loYF3528gP4 (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=61210

Thoughts from someone who occasionally shoots for others:
Do it for free, or give them something they can't get anywhere else, and be ok with charge accordingly; better to be turned down than locked into a $5 per image rate, both as a recognition of respect for the ART you provide them as well as respect for those photographing motorsport full time.

If you've already shot the images then you shot them for you, and they happened to recognize your work; they chose you and want you, this means you have value to them. If you're on assignment for them, then you need to come out ahead not in the hole; and there's costs on your equipment, you travel to and from the event, event access, your time shooting, and your time editing to put together that final product.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 04, 2012 12:42 |  #13

Without being greedy ... how much would you be happy to get for your images? There's your price. If they buy x number of shots, give them a discount. Work with 'em and open some doors for yourself.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 04, 2012 17:04 |  #14

CaterhamF1 wrote in post #15073340 (external link)
Okay... Ill try give you a little more info. It is for the V8 Supertourers Fanbase website, they said they would be willing to purchase a few photo's and were wondering how much I charge. They would use them on their website. I am not selling these photos to anyone else, so they would be exclusive to this website. Budget constraints aren't really a worry, as they would only be purchasing maybe 5-10 images, but obviously they wouldn't want to overpay. Do you reckon you could give me a bit of an idea of how much to charge now?

Thanks Moppie :D

The question is not what you want to sell them for rather what they are prepared to pay for them.

In reality for this type of use it is a buyers market - they will most likely be innundated by amateur photographers sending them images for free just in the hope of being used / published.

That they say they are prepared to pay is good but I suspect that the amount they would be prepared to pay is quite low.

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 04, 2012 17:13 |  #15

Nightstalker wrote in post #15080407 (external link)
The question is not what you want to sell them for rather what they are prepared to pay for them.

In reality for this type of use it is a buyers market - they will most likely be innundated by amateur photographers sending them images for free just in the hope of being used / published.

That they say they are prepared to pay is good but I suspect that the amount they would be prepared to pay is quite low.

Thanks, thats a good point, and definately the best way to think about it imo

sponsored links

7,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
How Much To Charge Per Photo???????
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.