Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 29 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Auto-focus Usage <moved>

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
4,386 posts
Gallery: 863 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 29, 2012 13:14 |  #1

As I'm new to AF, just wondering if you guys always use it for 1:1 and greater. I found with my crystal shots that the AF on the 100mm L Macro was not as accurate as I had expected.

And I'm correct to switch the IS off for all tripod shots, right?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Worcester ­ Lad
Goldmember
4,783 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 29, 2012 13:21 |  #2

Manual focus for all my macro shots.

Yep, turn off IS when on a tripod or you will get blurred shots.

George
flickr (external link)

AnnieMacD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Oops, me again
4,386 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 29, 2012 13:29 |  #3

Worcester Lad wrote in post #15058107 (external link)
Manual focus for all my macro shots.

Yep, turn off IS when on a tripod or you will get blurred shots.

Thanks, George. That's what I thought. Onward and upward :)

flickr (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
29,702 posts
Gallery: 3045 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 30, 2012 06:52 |  #4

I'll move you to talk about.

Generally over 0.5X I use manual focus. Handheld the classic technique is to use the focus ring to set magnification move the whole rig back and forth to place the plane of focus. On a tripod this can be achieved using a focus slide.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

AnnieMacD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Oops, me again
4,386 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 30, 2012 07:45 |  #5

Lester Wareham wrote in post #15060253 (external link)
I'll move you to talk about.

Generally over 0.5X I use manual focus. Handheld the classic technique is to use the focus ring to set magnification move the whole rig back and forth to place the plane of focus. On a tripod this can be achieved using a focus slide.

Thanks, my bad.

Great info about the 0.5x. I just needed some confirmation it wasn't my lens. I know it's asking a lot to auto-focus at these magnifications.

flickr (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
29,702 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 30, 2012 10:30 |  #6

AnnieMacD wrote in post #15060341 (external link)
Thanks, my bad.

Great info about the 0.5x. I just needed some confirmation it wasn't my lens. I know it's asking a lot to auto-focus at these magnifications.

I have the 100 classic and that does AF fine in reasonable light to 1:1. However, the AF accuracy is generally not specific enough to ensure the focus is placed where you want.

If you are working on a tripod and have a camera with live view you can use that set to 10X magnification to get the MF set exactly where you want it.

The modern IS systems are ment to detect a tripod and turn themselves off (the older ones go into a oscillation on tripod and mess the shot). I would not trust the automatics however and just turn it off.

For best results use a cable release or timer release and mirror lockup or live view to eliminate vibration. Don't use too small an apature else the image will be softened by difraction; f/11 is a good compromise for crop cameras and f/16 for full frame.

Gear List

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 04, 2012 00:17 |  #7

I am also new to macro, having just got my 100L macro last week. I have learned to turn off AF, and use foot zoom to focus. I have only taken a few shots on a tripod, but I didn't know to turn off IS. -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Lester ­ Wareham
29,702 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 04, 2012 00:24 |  #8

There should be a switch on the side of the lens Rick, check the lens manual if having trouble.

Gear List

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 04, 2012 00:38 |  #9

You can't get 1:1, or any specific, magnification while using AF. You only get those magnifications when the focus is set so that the yellow/orange numbers are lined up in the focus window. As soon as you hit AF, focus tries to run and spins off of that magnification.

If you're trying to get that specific magnification, you have to set that manually and focus my moving either your camera or subject back and forth to achieve focus.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

AnnieMacD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Oops, me again
4,386 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 04, 2012 05:11 |  #10

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I've just ordered a macro focusing rail which should help.

I have another question. I know the 100mmL Macro goes to 1:1 magnification. If I add extension tubes, how can I work out what the various magnifications are with the different combinations? I have as set of the Kenko tubes.

flickr (external link)

gmillerf
117 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2012 18:40 |  #11

I don't think there's a generic formula for computing that. Ext tubes don't actually magnify anything, they just allow your lens to focus on object closer that it could otherwise. So, how much closer you can focus depends on how much focus travel is already built into your lens.

Greg -- http://www.flickr.com/​photos/79652823@N00/ (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
29,702 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 08, 2012 00:24 |  #12

AnnieMacD wrote in post #15078072 (external link)
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I've just ordered a macro focusing rail which should help.

I have another question. I know the 100mmL Macro goes to 1:1 magnification. If I add extension tubes, how can I work out what the various magnifications are with the different combinations? I have as set of the Kenko tubes.

It's east to work out for infinity focus, just Extension over focal length, you can work it out for close focus too but it's a bit more trouble. A full stack of tubes should get you up to about 2:1.

Gear List

sponsored links

3,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Auto-focus Usage <moved>
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.