Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good price for friends alienbee setup?

aka_deno
125 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 04, 2012 20:47 |  #1

I have a friend who is selling his entire alienbee's setup including all the following. My question is, is this a killer deal or just a pretty good deal? He's asking for $1,100.

(2) B800s
(2) umbrellas
(2) 10' stands
(2) 24x36" soft box
(1) Vagabond Mini power supply
(2) Vagabond Mini batteries
(1) Cybersync trigger
(2) Cybersync receivers
(1) Pelican 1650 which has the pick and pull foam and has pretty much all the above in it, plus room for a 3rd light if i decide i need a 3rd.

Not too sure what i will be using them for other then shooting cars and the ocasional portait. My setup of 3 580exii with soft boxes seems to be doing me just fine so far though.

ideas? Thoughts?

:::Gear List:::

sponsored links
Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 04, 2012 21:14 |  #2

Hello,
Its like buying a used car... how old , everything working. check new prices for same equipment.
Ask you friend for a good Friend Discount... ask him what is the lowest price he will take for the set.
That's only if you think you need to buy it..
check paul C buff site for prices..

good luck,

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 04, 2012 21:48 |  #3

Assuming good condition
The bees are worth $200 each used
Umbrellas $ 20 ea.
The mini is another $200
batteries are $60 each
Trigger used at $50
Recievers about the same $50
stands are dependent on brand, as is softbox but lets call them $125.
So doing the math he is in the ballpark. These are rough values, so depending on where you are, but if you can get him down a little you should be okay..

Scott_1469
783 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2012 21:48 |  #4

You'd have fun with that kit.
Is he including 2 additional batteries for the Vagabond in addition to the one that came with it (3 total)? What softboxes are they? Use the search function in the sell forum to get a feel for more accurate going rates for used. In general, selling prices here are a good representation of actual worth. I'm often buying/selling used stuff, and at a glance, this is my quick math:
2 B800's + umbrellas = $500 (do they come with the soft bags? Maybe add $10/ea if so)
2 10' stands (assuming generic) - $40-$50
2 softboxes - ? which ones
1 Vagabond mini - $200ish
Batteries - $70ish/ea
Trigger/receivers - $200ish
Pelican case - depends ($100-$200ish)

Gear List | My Flickr Site (external link)
Quote from my oldest: "Dad, I liked you a lot better when you had the small camera"

aka_deno
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 05, 2012 06:44 |  #5

all his stuff is essentially brand new. has lived in the pelican case since he bought everything. he bought everything probably about a year - year and half ago, and only used it 5 to 7 times of which i was there with him for 4 of the shoots haha

So i know everything is great basically brand new condition and i never saw him treat them bad so i shouldn't have to fix/ replace anything. He is really asking $1300 so the $1100 is the close friend price. I know he needs the moolah so i might try and get him down to around $1000. i think at that price its a damn good deal.

thanks all.

Master ­ of ­ Defenestration
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 05, 2012 07:01 |  #6

If he was anywhere close to me, and he tossed a price of around $1,000 out there...I'd buy it out from under you without thinking. :lol:

Not saying it's an "I HATE YOUR GUTS BECAUSE I DIDN'T GET THAT DEAL" price...But it's an entire setup that you don't have to track down all the particulars yourself, for a pretty good price. I'd jump on it, and I probably wouldn't hassle him over $100 either. But that's me.

OR...If he's a good friend that you trust...Tell him $800, and he can still use them if he needs them (and you aren't using them at the time he needs 'em).

5D | Full tank of gas | Box of rocks
Facebook (external link)

munzzzzzzz
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 05, 2012 07:26 |  #7

I agree with others... I have bought and sold a lot of AB equipment and their prices are right in the ballpark of what stuff typically sells for. $1000 is less than you would pay if you bought everything separately, but at the same time when people sell large kits like this they typically get less than the price of everything individually. If you need everything in the kit I'd say go for it, but if you don't need everything (i.e. if you don't need the VML for portable power) you could obviously get everything else for less. If I were in your position and in the market for equipment, I would probably take it, even for $1100, and if there was something I didn't need I would just resell it on here.

Also keep in mind that if he is a good friend, it might be worth that extra $100 to not risk hurting your friendship.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 05, 2012 08:13 |  #8

aka_deno wrote in post #15082503 (external link)
He is really asking $1300 so the $1100 is the close friend price. I know he needs the moolah so i might try and get him down to around $1000. i think at that price its a damn good deal.

thanks all.

So you know that your friend needs money so your trying to talk him down another $100???

Is your paid profession a used car salesman??

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,611 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 05, 2012 08:20 |  #9

BufordFZ1 wrote in post #15082687 (external link)
So you know that your friend needs money so your trying to talk him down another $100???

Is your paid profession a used car salesman??

if you can't make money offyour friends, who can you make money off of? ;)

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 05, 2012 08:31 |  #10

People on the internet of course!

But we're photographers, we don't need to make cunning buys like this to make money, our cameras print money, remember?

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 05, 2012 11:01 |  #11

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15082713 (external link)
if you can't make money offyour friends, who can you make money off of? ;)

ha.. so true.

I'd pay the 1,000 or 1,100, and let him know that if he needs them he can rent them for a couple six packs or what ever you drink :D

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

aka_deno
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 05, 2012 14:32 |  #12

i decided to make a partial trade, im giving him my 1st gen mabook air which i dont use much since i just travel with my 15" macbook pro. Plus $500. So i think its a pretty good trade considering i know the equipment, it has its own "hold everything in one nice case" case and maybe ill let him use them if he needs to at some point.

Thanks all, should be fun to start messing around with some bee's!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 05, 2012 14:34 |  #13

Pick up a sekonic L-358 flash meter and you are off to the races.

sponsored links

1,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good price for friends alienbee setup?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.