Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 03:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G12 Lens error message

Juanjo99
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 03, 2012 03:15 |  #1

Help!

My G12 suddenly tells me it has a Lens Error and is shutting down!. Surprising ,as it is has not suffered any shock, always kept in a neoprene shock-resistant cover and in my pocket: it was working fine yesterday.

Any quick way to reset it? Battery is OK.

Thanks

steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 05, 2012 09:40 |  #2

Take the battery, and card out for about 15 minutes. Replace, and see. If this gets it on, re-set to factory default in the menu.

I doubt this will help probably some heavy dust, or small piece of grit in lens mechanism. Sometimes tapping around on the camera body near the lens will dislodge the grit, do this with your finger smartly. Not a hammer. :lol:

I don't think you will want Canon to repair this, it would be just as cheap to buy another one. They will not accept a manufacturing fault, this is only about the second time I have seen this complaint on the G12.

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

Nathan
So boring
7,847 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2012 15:16 as a reply to  @ steve40's post |  #3

Should you not be able to fix it, I can personally vouch for www.camerasandparts.co​m (external link) to fix the camera for you. I've had such a positive experience with their customer service people that I'm sending in two more cameras (my cousins) to get fixed.

They have a full package $99 cleaning ($89 with an online discount) that includes:

* All Parts / Labor Included to Correct "Lens Error Issue"
* Internal PowerPoint Cleaning
* Memory Card Reader Cleaning
* Professional Lens Cleaning
* All Parts / Labor Included
* Return Shipping / Handling
* 90 Parts / Labor Warranty

*I have no business affilitation with camerasandparts... just a super satisfied customer.

So you decide whether the camera is worth $99 for that fix or replace it with a new one.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
G12 Lens error message
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.