Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 04 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Volleyball - getting better, I think

sebagolizzy
79 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 04, 2012 16:17 |  #1

Here are couple from recent games. I think I'm getting better, but I still have a bear of a time locking focus through the net. Find myself focusing on the player's legs, just as I always did. Seems silly because I should be able to use the 5D 3 bells and whistles, but it isn't working for me. C & C welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
907 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 04, 2012 16:26 |  #2

I like the angle on to first image

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 04, 2012 16:53 |  #3

like the first image.. where are you able to be postioned?
any chance you could be opposite of the official at the net or higher to see blocks ??

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sebagolizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 04, 2012 18:00 as a reply to  @ Gaarryy's post |  #4

For the first shot I was positioned in the balcony above the bleachers. Lucky that our coach lets me in. Makes for some interesting angles. Here is one of a hitter from the same angle.

HOSTED PHOTO

12Rock
635 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 04, 2012 18:02 |  #5

fairly nice shots there ... what gear are u using

sebagolizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 04, 2012 20:29 |  #6

5D 3, 200mm f2 for shots from the balcony or 135mm f2 for the most part when I'm on the court. I've got access to good equipment that far outweighs my limited knowledge and skill. Makes me look better at this than I am (or feel). Just had my first tutorial in Lightroom tonight - the learning curve keeps on going up and up!

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 04, 2012 20:48 |  #7

Nice shots. Did you permanently extend the rental of the 200 f2?

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 05, 2012 10:18 |  #8

Love #1, I've got to get practicing for my daughters squad coming up. The focus on #1 is unfortunatly on her shoe. Razor sharp!

Thanks for posting, it's given me some ideas on placement.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

sebagolizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 05, 2012 11:16 |  #9

Re focus on the shoe, I see your point although DPP shows the focal point on her face. They would be in the same plane vertically I suppose.

Re the rental - just picked it up again because I had 4 games in 5 days to play with it. Lucky to have access to it 5 minutes from home. I think it is fun to play with but given my skill not necessarily the best use of my time at this point. Just physically it is a challenge to manage. For the first time I tried shooting with a monopod (shots 1 & 3) but found it very difficult to track the action & movement that way. Might pay to learn to use a monopod with a lighter set up.

DaDeuce
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 05, 2012 11:25 |  #10

sebagolizzy, does your balcony run all the way around the gym? Reason I ask is you can get some excellent blocking type photos from the end of the court if you can get elevated.

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?
My Smugmug (external link)

sebagolizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 05, 2012 18:44 as a reply to  @ DaDeuce's post |  #11

Unfortunately, no, it is just on one side. The opposite side has west facing windows along the top edge of the wall. I use the balcony so that I can shoot down, rather than up toward the sun from the court. And of course I like the cloudy days.... I'll look for that balcony shot from the end of the court when the team travel picks up. Thanks for the tip.

sponsored links

1,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
Volleyball - getting better, I think
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.