Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 05 Oct 2012 (Friday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding photographer trying out video clips

tnis0612
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 05, 2012 09:57 |  #1

My wife and I have a wedding this weekend we are photographing, the schedule is such that we will have much more time than normal during bride/groom portraits, so i've thought about experimenting with a few short 5-10 sec video clips to throw into a "fusion" slideshow later.

I'm not looking for wedding film cinematographer type results, and I plan on doing absolutely no panning, zooming or moving, just hand holding the camera as absolutely still as possible.

My wife and I generally take turns taking portraits (i'm usually first), so while she is taking portraits i was thinking I would just keep my settings exactly how I had them (i shoot in manual), switch into live view and record the b/g interacting while she takes a few portraits.

Are there any easy/fast things I can do to makes sure I get the best results possible? I use auto WB and adjust in Lightroom. Are there video settings on my 5d2 that I should enable/change to get me better results? What happens if i'm recording video with 1/800, f2.8, ISO 400. Will that shutter speed cause issues?

Thanks in advance!

5d Mark II, 7D
17-40L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS II
www.stevenandlilyphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 06, 2012 04:36 |  #2

http://vimeo.com/17863​518 (external link)

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

nickstubbs
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 06, 2012 13:13 as a reply to  @ Kento's post |  #3

When shooting video, you really want to be matching the shutter speed to the frame rate (or double the shutter speed) for better, smoother results.

So, if you are shooting at 25p (PAL), try a shutter speed of 50th/sec, maybe even 100th/sec if it is really bright. Obviously this will not give you the wide aperture in bright-ish dalylight so use an ND/polariser filter to block the light.

If shooting 30fps (NTSC), shoot at 60th or 125th sec for best results.

I have been adding video clips to slideshows for about 6 years...you can see some samples here: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=CXgdAkDplks (external link)

Also, in the same way that we process RAW images, preferably from a flat-ish image (or I do anyway), you may want to download and install the Marvel's Cine Picture Style (external link). This gives a really nice look to work on in editing but if you are just going for the standard look, then use something like "Faithful".

Hope this helps!

Nick
Wedding Photography Blueprint

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 07, 2012 04:28 |  #4

No movement is far better than jerky pans so good call. Shoot your video clips longer than you need.

In reality, when you come to edit, unless something really interesting is happening clips wont want to be longer the 3 to 4 seconds max but still film each clip for 10 to 15 seconds without moving. It seems like an eternity at the time but it is stunning how much gets swallowed in the edit.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,124 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding photographer trying out video clips
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.